2 computers, 2 rj45

Daifeichu

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2 comp, both with 2 rj45 jacks each. One of the comp (comp-A) has a 1Gb jack and a 100Mb jack. The other comp (comp-B) has 2-1Gb jacks.

Both comp are hooked up to the router for internet access. comp-A uses the 100Mb. Now I want to connect them together using both 1Gb jacks on both comp. I used a x-over cable and both have different IP's than the router. The router is 192.168.0.1.

For the jacks with the x-over I use 192.168.1.x

The reason I'm doing this so that when I transfer files from one comp to the other it will be faster. Question is, how does the computers know that I want to use the faster direct 1Gb connection as apposed to the router which is not 1Gb. I tested it copying a file over and watched the activity of both ports on one comp. It was using the direct 1Gb connection. Will it always do this? Why is it using this instead of the slower router route?

If you use the UNC share \\192.168.1.x that should always transfer the files over your gigabit connection, as 192.168.1.x subnet would not be able to be seen by your router.

Back