2 channel digital speakers

no2censorship

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
393
I have some cheap behringer speakers (MS20s) and they're ok, but is there anything better (i.e. a difference that a non-audiophile like me would notice) that's just a 2 speaker setup that connects via s/pdif like my MS20s do?

I could spend ~$225 not including shipping. That's 2x the $99 my ms20s costed. I saw some good-looking digital speakers by auzentech on their website, but those are too damn expensive.
 
Eh? You want a difference that people like you won't notice? Then why buy it? Or do you mean a difference someone like you WILL notice? Or are you trying to say something that you completely screwed up in trying to say?
 
Eh? You want a difference that people like you won't notice? Then why buy it? Or do you mean a difference someone like you WILL notice? Or are you trying to say something that you completely screwed up in trying to say?
I fixed it. Sorry about the confusion.
 
Ahhh...

Swan M200MKII or Audioengine A2 is my immediate recommendation, but I need to ask... are you much of a basshead? And... do you play your music loud (i.e. do you want minimum distortion at higher volumes)?

Also, is it possible to stretch your budget a little?

Also, what do you use your speakers for?
 
Ahhh...

Swan M200MKII or Audioengine A2 is my immediate recommendation, but I need to ask... are you much of a basshead? And... do you play your music loud (i.e. do you want minimum distortion at higher volumes)?

Also, is it possible to stretch your budget a little?

Also, what do you use your speakers for?
thanks=] Yes, I like to play my music loud and definitely don't like distortion.

maybe to $~275 not inc. shipping?

Anyway, this will be for games and music.
 
How many nice speakers even have SPDIF inputs? You'd be better off getting a receiver. What's your audio source? If you're using onboard audio, you probably aren't taking full advantage of your MS20s. Have you looked at the MS40s? If you aren't an audiophile, why are you getting monitors over PC speakers and wanting to use SPDIF? Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 would suit you just fine.

Use SPDIF from your computer to the DAC or receiver, then RCA or 1/4 or whatever your monitors will need.
 
Wait... why do you need SPDIF connection, again?
Because I'm using onboard.
How many nice speakers even have SPDIF inputs? You'd be better off getting a receiver. What's your audio source? If you're using onboard audio, you probably aren't taking full advantage of your MS20s. Have you looked at the MS40s? If you aren't an audiophile, why are you getting monitors over PC speakers and wanting to use SPDIF? Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 would suit you just fine.

Use SPDIF from your computer to the DAC or receiver, then RCA or 1/4 or whatever your monitors will need.
Sounds good. I'll look at recievers but which ones have AKM DACs?

2nd questions: How is onboard limiting me from taking advantage of my MS20's? I thought if the output was digital, then sound card vs. onboard was irrelevant.


Also, How much better do MS40's sound than the MS20's I have?
 
LOL!!!

Oh I see why you think that. Ok, here's how it works:

No matter what, a music file needs a DAC (digital to analog converter) to convert the file from binary code to analog sound. What happens when you use SPDIF is the digital (binary) information gets sent out as digital instead of analog so that some EXTERNAL DAC like the one on your MS20 (has an integrated DAC) can decode the music file.

However, anyway you look at it, you're using onboard audio. Onboard DAC of the MS20 OR, if you connect via RCA, then you're using onboard DAC of your computer.

So you need to get yourself a soundcard at minimum, if not a receiver in order to use the better speakers. Plus, these sound better than onboard audio.

As for the MS40, I liked them, particularly for games and/or movies. For music... there are better, such as the ones I listed above.
 
LOL!!!

Oh I see why you think that. Ok, here's how it works:

No matter what, a music file needs a DAC (digital to analog converter) to convert the file from binary code to analog sound. What happens when you use SPDIF is the digital (binary) information gets sent out as digital instead of analog so that some EXTERNAL DAC like the one on your MS20 (has an integrated DAC) can decode the music file.

However, anyway you look at it, you're using onboard audio. Onboard DAC of the MS20 OR, if you connect via RCA, then you're using onboard DAC of your computer.

So you need to get yourself a soundcard at minimum, if not a receiver in order to use the better speakers. Plus, these sound better than onboard audio.

As for the MS40, I liked them, particularly for games and/or movies. For music... there are better, such as the ones I listed above.
Thanks=] I knew how s/pdif I worked=] But since the DAC is being used in my ms20's rather than the onboard dac, how would a sound card benefit me?
 
Because you can use RCA instead after you get RCA cables?

Your MS20 DAC isn't that good...
 
I got MS20s recently at SameDayMusic for $99 too. I'm no audiophile either, hopefully they sound awesome to me when I hook em up. Will probably end up using my X58 on-board sound since I hear dedicated sound cards don't really increase the quality of sound at all if your speaker hardware isn't up to it (MS20's are supposedly sucky in that sense).

On another note, I just realized there's a 42-watt Yamaha subwoofer in my crib that I don't use anymore...and these things are pretty earth-shattering to me (once again I'm no audiofreak). Now I just gotta figure out if it's possible to hook em up to the MS20s...
 
[H]adouken;1033686912 said:
I got MS20s recently at SameDayMusic for $99 too. I'm no audiophile either, hopefully they sound awesome to me when I hook em up. Will probably end up using my X58 on-board sound since I hear dedicated sound cards don't really increase the quality of sound at all if your speaker hardware isn't up to it (MS20's are supposedly sucky in that sense).

On another note, I just realized there's a 42-watt Yamaha subwoofer in my crib that I don't use anymore...and these things are pretty earth-shattering to me (once again I'm no audiofreak). Now I just gotta figure out if it's possible to hook em up to the MS20s...
That's where i got them from. There's no way you can hook a subwoofer up to it, though. The bass is pretty good . I turn the knob to about 10-15%. I probably keep it right about 12.5%.

Your x58 onboard will be just as good as an asus d2x if you hook up via toslink s/pdif.
 
Okay thanks for the info. And that's awesome if people like you and me can accept the bass at only 10-15%! I don't play music loud either, my bro does that with his humongous Rokit monitors. I bought the MS20s because they were <$100 w/ free shipping and 0% tax, and most importantly because they are really good looking speakers for their size, which is hard to find. I love the black wood! And yeah I'm a little anal about design, when it comes to speakers (or any hardware in general) I'm more like 80% form and 20% function lol. I got this beautiful 66" flat credenza desk to go with the black wood of the MS20s, will post pics this weekend.

Oh and I'm using RCA rather than toslink to toslink spdif, if it makes any difference.
 
That's where i got them from. There's no way you can hook a subwoofer up to it, though. The bass is pretty good . I turn the knob to about 10-15%. I probably keep it right about 12.5%.

Your x58 onboard will be just as good as an asus d2x if you hook up via toslink s/pdif.

Not just as GOOD. SPDIF basically renders the D2X useless in terms of sound quality even thought the D2X is better than the onboard. That's not GOOD. That's BAD.
 
I have some cheap behringer speakers (MS20s) and they're ok, but is there anything better (i.e. a difference that a non-audiophile like me would notice) that's just a 2 speaker setup that connects via s/pdif like my MS20s do?

I could spend ~$225 not including shipping. That's 2x the $99 my ms20s costed. I saw some good-looking digital speakers by auzentech on their website, but those are too damn expensive.

Too bad you don't have the cash for those digital reference monitors on the Auzentech site, They are a very good sounding set whith a very nice high end DAC.;)
 
Holy shit those things are like $400 and up!!! We're talking about the BLOW monitors right?

Wallet says passsss...

One day I'll buy speakers that cost a couple grand and melt at the difference, but for now I'd like to stay in the dark so my wallet can smile :D
 
They are studio grade reference monitors with a high end DAC installed. They are really meant for monitoring while recording..
 
M-Audio has several different monitors with digital XLR and Coaxial inputs. Good speakers with digital input seem to be more expensive than analog-only speakers. I would imagine the reason being the cost of the DAC inside the speaker. I'd guess quality digital-input speakers are going to be $300+ (if anyone can point to good $200 digital-in speakers, well, thats what this thread originally asked for, show us!)

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors

If your budget is firm around $200, then your best chance will be to stalk Craigslist or Ebay with several options and call on higher powers to help make it happen. I just picked up a pair of "barely used/as new/in original packaging" M-Audio BX8a from Ebay for $250. I also communicated with someone selling a pair of M-Audio EX66 for $699 (you would be getting two for the price of one). Others find deals on Craigslist - you just have to be diligent in your search, and patient.
 
M-Audio has several different monitors with digital XLR and Coaxial inputs. Good speakers with digital input seem to be more expensive than analog-only speakers. I would imagine the reason being the cost of the DAC inside the speaker. I'd guess quality digital-input speakers are going to be $300+ (if anyone can point to good $200 digital-in speakers, well, thats what this thread originally asked for, show us!)

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors

If your budget is firm around $200, then your best chance will be to stalk Craigslist or Ebay with several options and call on higher powers to help make it happen. I just picked up a pair of "barely used/as new/in original packaging" M-Audio BX8a from Ebay for $250. I also communicated with someone selling a pair of M-Audio EX66 for $699 (you would be getting two for the price of one). Others find deals on Craigslist - you just have to be diligent in your search, and patient.
Thanks for the link=] I generally only buy out of production things used, though, because I like the profit to go to the maker.

But I'll look into m-audio's digital line.
 
Back
Top