2 budget gpus for better multitasking?

Neapolitan6th

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short, I'm running a gt 1030 for my gpu. It does fine for my gaming needs, until I start multitasking with something like youtube. During multitasking, games will stutter or streams will hitch and buffer. (I have no igpu)

Could slotting in a 2nd cheap gpu help with this? (Not sli) Will windows know what to do? If I could just dedicate the gt 1030 to gaming and a super cheap used gt 210 or 710 to video, that would be great.

I'm not interested in upgrading the gt 1030 at this time, though I know that would be the most effective solution.

Thanks!

Last edited:
No, I don’t think a 1030 can SLI. Lowest card that can do sli (in that generation) is the 1070.

I'd be interested to know if that would even work.

If you just have a single monitor, my assumption is that the game or video you're playing will process on the GPU attached to that display, regardless of any secondary cards (if not in SLI or an mGPU enabled app).

If you are using 2 monitors, however, it might work. Meaning one monitor for gaming and a second monitor for video, etc. Not sure, though.

Why reply if you are not going to make the effort to even read first?

Why reply if you’re not even helping the thread topic and just want to be a jerk?

I thought he was talking about SLI then he edited it, ok if it’s not helpful then no big deal. Why even bother to post about it? Seems like you really need better priorities in life...lol

Why reply if you’re not even helping the thread topic and just want to be a jerk?

I thought he was talking about SLI then he edited it, ok if it’s not helpful then no big deal. Why even bother to post about it? Seems like you really need better priorities in life...lol
Nice try but what he had there even before the simple edit made it one hundred percent clear he was not talking about SLI to anyone that half-ass read it. He even talked about and gave examples of the low end cards he was thinking about using. So again maybe bother to read before posting a useless reply. And pretty ironic that you feel the need to comment to me yet you don't think I should have said anything to you in the first place LOL.

Nice try but what he had there even before the simple edit made it one hundred percent clear he was not talking about SLI to anyone that half-ass read it. He even talked about and gave examples of the low end cards he was thinking about using. So again maybe bother to read before posting a useless reply. And pretty ironic that you feel the need to comment to me yet you don't think I should have said anything to you in the first place LOL.

So you’re just looking to fight with me because you think my post wasn’t good enough for your standards? Are you the internet police here to make sure all posts are approved by you?. Good luck with that...lol

That is so sad. Please and I mean this sincerely, find something better to do with your life.

Last edited:
So you’re just looking to fight with me because you think my post wasn’t good enough for your standards? Are you the internet police here to make sure all posts are approved by you?. Good luck with that...lol

That is so sad. Please and I mean this sincerely, find something better to do with your life.
What standards? You posted without even making the least bit of effort to actually read what he said. I thought it was funny and ridiculous so I made a comment. And you still can't get the irony of the situation where you feel the need to reply to everything I say yet can't comprehend the fact that I wanted to reply to what you said in the first place here. Most people would have just admitted that they made a mistake but that's too difficult for you. Anyway I'm done here so knock yourself out with the last word if you want it.

What standards? You posted without even making the least bit of effort to actually read what he said. I thought it was funny and ridiculous so I made a comment. And you still can't get the irony of the situation where you feel the need to reply to everything I say yet can't comprehend the fact that I wanted to reply to what you said in the first place here. Most people would have just admitted that they made a mistake but that's too difficult for you. Anyway I'm done here so knock yourself out with the last word if you want it.

Well it’s correct information, just not in the proper context. So like every other human being you will meet in your life (and I feel sorry for each and every one of them..lol) I’m not perfect and never claimed to be. But please keep being a jerk and not understanding how to treat people. It all comes around sooner or later.

15 posts in and nobody asked op what his system specs are.

It might not be your GPU.

15 posts in and nobody asked op what his system specs are.

It might not be your GPU.
6800k, asrock ITX, 3.7ghz at the moment. One thing I notice is after a prolonged session, frames sometimes bog down. And then a simple exit to desktop and reload will fix the issue (30fps-60fps difference) a bit of an odd issue. Maybe some kind of video memory leak issue I can only guess. I digress.
I do this with my 1080 and 1050Ti. 1080 on the gaming monitor and the 1050Ti for the other 2 flanking it either side. Works great.
Good to hear. It makes me wonder. I suppose you could run two games running on seperate gpus even though I can't think of use for such an arangement. Might be cool if you were able to pass the 2nd gpu to a VM and a 2nd monitor and then do some lan strategy games with a friend. Again, I digress.

With a 6800k it's more likely the GPU. Totally possible that it's an application bug causing your issues, but you might just have a smoother experience overall with a second GPU (attached to a second monitor) as stated above.

Good to hear. It makes me wonder. I suppose you could run two games running on seperate gpus even though I can't think of use for such an arangement. Might be cool if you were able to pass the 2nd gpu to a VM and a 2nd monitor and then do some lan strategy games with a friend. Again, I digress.

I usually do twitch/music on the left, game in the middle, and OC monitoring stuff + discord on the other. ADD needs met, no shortage of stuff to focus on :D

6800k, asrock ITX, 3.7ghz at the moment. One thing I notice is after a prolonged session, frames sometimes bog down. And then a simple exit to desktop and reload will fix the issue (30fps-60fps difference) a bit of an odd issue. Maybe some kind of video memory leak issue I can only guess. I digress.

Its more than likely your GPU. Honestly getting another might not really fix it. I would maybe look at getting 1 better GPU instead of trying to deal with 2. Something like a 1060 or 1070 would be fine. My 1080 Works fine with a 3440x1440 for gaming while playing HD video on my 2nd 2560x1440 monitor.

Its more than likely your GPU. Honestly getting another might not really fix it. I would maybe look at getting 1 better GPU instead of trying to deal with 2. Something like a 1060 or 1070 would be fine. My 1080 Works fine with a 3440x1440 for gaming while playing HD video on my 2nd 2560x1440 monitor.
If they were cheaper then perhaps. Its not really an issue for me to be honest. It games fine and smooth most of the time. I just sometimes like to multitask. I would sooner use my laptop for a 2nd screen than buy a 1050ti or something. And at that point, I'd probably just raise graphics settings to the point where I run into the same issue. No one in their right mind wants to hold on to a gt 710 or worse, so I imagine if I play my cards right I can grab one cheap. A 1050 these days goes for more than a gt1030+a gt710 combination. And long term, I wouldn't want a 1050. This is a temporary solution for maybe a year or longer.

There's always the next best thing waiting to release around the corner, so I saw no reason to pay for something that will halve in value over the next year or two. With a cheap gpu, you aren't paying for inflation. And the amount of $ you lose to obsolescence is 2-digits instead of the 3-digits you are looking at when you buy something higher end (When looking to sell it on the used market and upgrade).

Last edited:
I usually do twitch/music on the left, game in the middle, and OC monitoring stuff + discord on the other. ADD needs met, no shortage of stuff to focus on :D

Focus...

I think that is sensory overload keeping you looking in that direction preventing the ADD from wandering. ;-)

If you put monitor 1(gaming) on gpu 1(gt 1030)
and 2nd monitor(youtube) on your second gpu, you should be fine,

but i find it strange that it stutters, i am running 2 old gt 640s , 4 monitors each, and it never stutters, the cards have 2gb of ram each,
they are not good with games, i have to play on low resolution, but it doesnt matter since i dont game much,

but if i game, youtube doesnt stutter, and i have a lot of other applications open all the time,

sounds strange your problem

If you put monitor 1(gaming) on gpu 1(gt 1030)
and 2nd monitor(youtube) on your second gpu, you should be fine,

but i find it strange that it stutters, i am running 2 old gt 640s , 4 monitors each, and it never stutters, the cards have 2gb of ram each,
they are not good with games, i have to play on low resolution, but it doesnt matter since i dont game much,

but if i game, youtube doesnt stutter, and i have a lot of other applications open all the time,

sounds strange your problem
Hm yes, perhaps stutter wasn't the right word. Youtube may lag at higher resolutions when the gaming load is at 100%. I'll double check my internet connection (gaming is only single player, offline). When I close the game I can even stream at 1440p, when I add the game I'll at times go from 720p all the way to 144p at worst.

Thanks for the input guys, I've had some fine responses and I'm not sure what more can be said. Its not a pressing issue, but I will update if I come to any conclusions (y)

if your gaming load is at 100% then thats your answer right there, where is the gpu going to get more power if it's already at 100%
thats why its lagging, the gpu has run out of power, change the video game detail to medium or low,
2gb is not enough power to play games on high, let alone while multi-tasking,

if your gaming load is at 100% then thats your answer right there, where is the gpu going to get more power if it's already at 100%
thats why its lagging, the gpu has run out of power, change the video game detail to medium or low,
2gb is not enough power to play games on high, let alone while multi-tasking,
Well its just a matter of FPS, i could be at 100% and at 90 fps. I could run a frame-limiter, but I'd choose to avoid that if I can. I aim for 60fps where I can. Usually we are looking at 30-60.

A 100% at 60fps. Then streaming or another application demands gpu resources and then the fps might dip causing some issues.

I accept the limitations of my current solution, I knew them in going into it. Its really just a small niggle, no big deal. Posed the question because of the deficiencies of windows sharing graphics resources where they are needed.

I could be wrong on this point, but 2gb is fine especially at the low end. I figure anything more will just load into ddr4 (have 32gb 3200mhz back when that was cheap). The new ryzen apus frame buffer is strictly ddr4 and only technically has 256mb of dedicated vram buffer. In actuality that number goes up as needed dynamically. I'm assuming an intel processor would operate in a similar fashion before utilizing slower bulk storage.

Last edited:
Your game could be taking the 2GB of video RAM. Nothing would be left to multi-task with.

win10 -> Task Mgr -> performance tab -> Dedicated GPU Memory / 3D Graph / Video Decode Graph

how does that look when multi-tasking?

If the dedicated ram is gone..
Get a v-card with 4GB of RAM minimum.

If you are using Win7.. OS related maybe. Windows 10 has much better GPU virtualization features and code.

View attachment 57275

Last edited:
I'm thinking this is more a software/driver issue.

Maybe a conflict, bad plug-in etc. There are a lot of possibilities.

I've being doing multi-monitor stuff like you described since my old Geforce 2 days, and have never once encountered your issue.

I'm thinking this is more a software/driver issue.

Maybe a conflict, bad plug-in etc. There are a lot of possibilities.

I've being doing multi-monitor stuff like you described since my old Geforce 2 days, and have never once encountered your issue.

Agreed, just talking a stab at it. Uninstall video driver, reboot, install would cover that. What OS?

Attached.. TF2, Video Stream, multiple web browsers. Your hardware should be fine for this unless you are running some new cutting edge game that excessively loads up your GPU in some manner.

Attachments

• TaskMgr.png
    TaskMgr.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back