2.8a vs 2.8e Prescott

Ogre67

Limp Gawd
Well I see alot of advocation for the A series of the prescott mainly due to heat. Am I missing something tho? The A series is the non HT 533 FSB version of the prescott right where the E is the HT 800 FSB version.

Also read they scored the same etc, seems kinda odd. Also what does one place value wise on the HT. I remember when it first came out everyone was like OMG must get but seems that its been muted due to the high advocacy of the A series prescott.

Enlighten me please.

Hyperthreading matters in video encoding, multi-tasking and general OS use with an NT kernal based OS is pretty good via HT. However games and 3d stuff don't see an improvement. If anything there's a slight degredation in performance.

Multi-threaded apps also gain an improvement. I wouldn't use an Intel chip that didn't have it.

oh please tell me where and when i can buy a 2.8A? if i can get anywhere near 200 fsb with it that would freakin rock!! the 2.4As where hitting some 200 fsb and beyond....a 2.8A would use a 20X FSB so @ 200 were talking 4ghz baby :) 190fsb with it would be 3.8 :) i could deal with 65C for that!

Love ta toss my old 2.4a into my new rig, with stable 250 clock, I'd be running it at 4.5 till it explodes. Officer my computer must have had a short....lol.

Ogre67 said:
Well I see alot of advocation for the A series of the prescott mainly due to heat. Am I missing something tho? The A series is the non HT 533 FSB version of the prescott right where the E is the HT 800 FSB version.

Also read they scored the same etc, seems kinda odd. Also what does one place value wise on the HT. I remember when it first came out everyone was like OMG must get but seems that its been muted due to the high advocacy of the A series prescott.

Enlighten me please.

you got it right, but remember, the front side bus is 133 quad pumped to 533, without Hyperthreading, i'd say unless you have a waterchiller or a phase change, dont jump on a 2.8A. The 2.8E can easily get to 3.2 on air with the good motherboard and with HT, but if your plan is to overclock like mad, the 2.8A is one hell of an overclocker

where do you guys see the results for 2.8A ocing, oh and I would go with an A, my 2.4A does 3.9 ghz at stock voltage/cooling

Back