2.8 LGA775 Retail CPU Overclock

JNavy89GT said:
I agree. Right now there is no compelling reason IMO to jump to socket 775. In my opinion users would be much better off staying with AGP cards, DDR PC3200/3500/etc...

<SNIP!>

I realize you(at HardOCP) are excited about 775, as I'm sure many are. My question is why there are comments in conclusion that this is such a viable alternative whereas it seems invariable that any A64 review is met with the conclusion that while it's fast it's not worth the $$$ and a oc'd 2.4C seems to garner your recommendatoin.

Just confused on this. Are you seeing tangible difference in 775 to warrant added costs over a cheaper P4C or A64 in 754 or 939 setup?????
I second this sentiment.

Ignoring, for a moment, availability, it does seem that you can pretty much get the same/better performance from older Intel and newer AMD kit right now, for less money. I agree that you don't have that *possible* upgrade path, but then, first generation products tend to be superceeded pretty quickly by a bugfix/speed tweak.

Is there any *REAL* reason I should be spending the extra money and having to use water cooling in order to get a PCIe, DDR2, Socket775 Prescott?

First of all, I wanted to say I read the article and I thought it was a great read. I am interested in building a new gaming machine with an Abit AA8, P4 520, 2x512MB Corsair XMS2, GeForce 6800 and Watercooling. I have a question though would a waterblock that fits Socket 478 also fit Socket 775? I assume you would be able to considering you used a watercooling setup to reach the 255FSB but I am not 100% sure so I figured I would ask anyway. Thanks for the help and once again great article!

rofl
perfect example of someone ready to throw a ton of money at a slower solution

it looks ok/fast when isolated from other systems. Compare these scores to a fast A64 setup of same $$$ aircooled or a P4C

there is no compelling reason to go 775 now IMO, somebody point out the error of my thinking if there is any.

Ok, so I know this'll get me banned from this forum like right away :-D but I just have to bring it up. I was reading through this thread, learning more about OC'ing and water cooling as I'm going to apply that to my dual 1.25GHz G4 powermac....and I had to wonder, how does the new high end G5 compare to the setup in this thread. Ok, now, I know it's in short supply right now, and well, it does cost more than a DIY P4 setup (especially with graphics cards, but you can get the ultra 6800 now), but regardless, lets compare a bit and maybe get a little discussion about other options out there 'sides wintel.

Here are the new G5's specs:

Processors: 2 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC 970FX's 90nm
L2 Cache: 512 Kb
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz (per processor)
System throughput: up to 20GBs (10 per cpu)
RAM: PC3200 up 8GB in 8Dimms
Graphics: nVidia Geforce Ultra 6800 DDL (dual dual-link DVI ports to run the 30" apple lcds)

Ok, the rest is normal, FW 400/800, USB 2, SATA HDD's, etc. etc.

Now, if you don't like macs, that's ok, just putting this out there as a kick ass new system to look at. I'm not much of a gamer really, but if I was I'd be wishing more companies made games for mac! :)

and, I forgot to mention, the dual 2.5 GHz G5's are watercooled right off the production line....pretty slick if you ask me, and has to be the first production watercooled system from a major manufacturer outside of the server market...

I've got a 800 mhz laptop that was hot shit when i bought it about 5 years ago. It still does adequately for what I use it for, but i want to build the big fast gaming machine now that I'm out of school and portability is no longer the issue it used to be. Since I'm starting from zero I can pick any platform I want. I know what ever I get I'll want to watercool and overclock. I've been doing a lot of reading in a lot of forums. This is what I think I know so far. AMD is a better gaming PC than INTEL. INTEL is a better multi-tasking PC than AMD. PCIe Video cards are not an improvement over AGP at this time. Northwood PC's clock better and perform better than Prescotts, at this time. PCIe, and DDR2 are the future. So do I save money now and buy a Nothwood/Canterwood set up with a fast AGP card, fast DDR3200 and OC the hell out of it while I wait for the Multi-core next generation cpu's, or do I take the dive into Prescott, make the early investment in PCIe and DDR2 and just upgrade Processor and mobo later, or do I just say screw it and go for a really fast AMD system and wait to see what falls out over the next year? I know that AMD motherboards are supposed to have PCIe in the near future and who knows maybe DDR2 as well, but I haven't seen that yet. Maybe the AMD chipsets won't have the OC limitations of the 925X/915.

Conclusion

If you are one of those folks that jumps straight to the conclusion page and are thinking about venturing into overclocking with a system similar to ours, I would highly suggest that you give the rest of the article a read as there is some really valuable information here that would most likely help you out. Certainly we will give you a recap though.

HAHA! man you guys are good ...

swmooretiger said:
Now, if you don't like macs, that's ok, just putting this out there as a kick ass new system to look at. I'm not much of a gamer really, but if I was I'd be wishing more companies made games for mac! :)

OT...Not many Games are produced for Apple's because of the low "Market Share" :p
For $2,995.00 for the base system I would expect more than a 9600 video card and 512 megs of RAM.

I wonder how a 3.4/775 ,watercooled,would go up to...4.5 Ghz? :eek:

swmooretiger said:
Ok, so I know this'll get me banned from this forum like right away :-D but I just have to bring it up. I was reading through this thread, learning more about OC'ing and water cooling as I'm going to apply that to my dual 1.25GHz G4 powermac....and I had to wonder, how does the new high end G5 compare to the setup in this thread. Ok, now, I know it's in short supply right now, and well, it does cost more than a DIY P4 setup (especially with graphics cards, but you can get the ultra 6800 now), but regardless, lets compare a bit and maybe get a little discussion about other options out there 'sides wintel.

Here are the new G5's specs:

Processors: 2 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC 970FX's 90nm
L2 Cache: 512 Kb
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz (per processor)
System throughput: up to 20GBs (10 per cpu)
RAM: PC3200 up 8GB in 8Dimms
Graphics: nVidia Geforce Ultra 6800 DDL (dual dual-link DVI ports to run the 30" apple lcds)

Ok, the rest is normal, FW 400/800, USB 2, SATA HDD's, etc. etc.

I'm not much of a gamer really, but if I was I'd be wishing more companies made games for mac!

Thats the general reason as to why macs suck ass. It has horrible software support in both games and applications. The only thing it does well is desktop/graphics/multimedia production. The hardware is up to par, the proprietary parts and inability to build one yourself without having apple mark it up 30% are some other pretty major reasons. And their systems do not include monitors. Oh yeah, the Apple mouse/keyboard sucks.

-Steve

i plan on buying this board wif the 2.8 gig mainly price wise it makes more sense i will be using the crucial 667 memory "hopefuly" on this board and a x600 since i dont have 600 dollars to drop on a vid card. so i will try the x600 til the x800 drops in price. a thermal take tru power 480 watt hopefully will be suuficient to supply this board we will soon find out. O koolance emailed me saying sometime next week they will have the new cpu coolers for this particular style so i will keep my water cooling and try to attain your 255 fsb.. any suggestions...also selling my 3 gig prescott and ic7 max 3 if anyone cares so i can build this system... :D

xx_Ed_xx said:
i plan on buying this board wif the 2.8 gig mainly price wise it makes more sense i will be using the crucial 667 memory "hopefuly" on this board and a x600 since i dont have 600 dollars to drop on a vid card. so i will try the x600 til the x800 drops in price. a thermal take tru power 480 watt hopefully will be suuficient to supply this board we will soon find out. O koolance emailed me saying sometime next week they will have the new cpu coolers for this particular style so i will keep my water cooling and try to attain your 255 fsb.. any suggestions...also selling my 3 gig prescott and ic7 max 3 if anyone cares so i can build this system... :D

This doesn't make any sense. Why not spend less on over clocking components and spend that money on a better video card. The computer will ran games so much better.

I dunno if they're shipping better chips to us in the UK or what, but I recently made the jump from a 1GHz P3 to this:

P4 2.8e LGA775 (SL7J5)
Asus P5AD2 Premium
Asus x600xt
1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 5300 (4.4.4.10)
420W Vantec Stealth

With stock voltage/cooling I'm hitting 1066fsb (3.7GHz) no problem.

The Ballistix is running at 708MHz 100% stable.

By adding a Thermaltake Silent Tower, the idle temp has been reduced from 35C to 25C, load has been reduced from roughly 45C to 37C.

Based on my experience, there is no serious thermal issue with Prescott.

I've thrown all I can at it to stress it out, prime 95, stress test, memtest, etc.

I'm no expert when it comes to OC, but this setup would appear to kick ass.

cpuid1.jpg

Nice OC, definately interested in an upgrade soon, moving to 775/PCI-Express, just gotta get my hands on the cash or the wifes credit card :p

I hear you on that. might I ask is there anyway you can fit the old hsf on the new boards. What are the Benchmarks Like oced to hell

I can post some sisoft pics tomorrow, but she is benching nicely above the equivlent 3.6GHz chip.

I'm ashamed to say I don't have the video card to take advantage of the cpu, I'm seeing 4600 in 3dmark 2003, but I haven't done any tweaking yet.

The socket T and 478 mounting features are most likely different, but bolt-through HSF's could fit, although you may need to fabricate a bespoke mounting plate for both sides of the motherboard.

Asus x600xt td

It's pretty good, I couldn't afford the x800xt and the DDR2, which is a shame!

Maybe after Christmas!

what board you using? What board and it can be alot im looking into buying the new stuff might to alienware so it can be monthy paying though

I'm buying the P4 3.4 LGA775 for 278$ when the are pricecuts have been applied.
I will deffo get a 4.0 ghz overclock with the thermaltake silenttower. I dont understand why people bash lga775 if your building a new sys i would deffo suggest the lga775 not only will you have a pciexpress card for the future but you'll have DDR2 RAM for the future intel processors.DDR2 scales like more then over 700mhz ! Sure a amd64 3500+ is like 2 fps faster at stock speeds then a p4 3.4 lga like all those benchmark on anandtech etc. shows But when you overclock them both Intel will scale higher and pwn the AMD64. You got to think broad. So i dont agree where most people say that amd 64 owns intel with games etc.

If there's one thing I've learnt from overclocking, it's that nothing is guarenteed.

You can buy a 3.4, and you might hit 4.0GHz, or you might not.

If you compare Kyle's OC results to my own, you can see that.

The silent tower is good for 10C below stock HSF temps, in my experience. But I suspect that on the chip in Kyle's review, the same HSF setup would still result in a very hot chip.

I can only assume that the quality of silicon is varying wildy on Presoctt builds.

Aim for a 10% overclock, anything beyond that is luck IMHO.

I assume you have 2 fans on your silenttower yes ? I might remove the stock fan on the silenttower aswell and add a 2nd 90mm Thunderblade fan.

No, but that was the intention.

I wanted to duct one side of the tower straight out the back of the case.

However, because the HSF mounting holes in the mobo are aligned as a rectangle, rather than a square, you can only mount the Tower vertically, either blowing into or away from the the PSU.

Which is a real PITA.

You can't even remove and turn the metal enclosure arounf the fins, because they're rectangular too!

I have mine blowing into the PSU, which seems to be OK, although I can't help but feel my ducted idea would be better.

qdemn7 said:
Ask yourself this; Are you willing to risk $2000 worth of CPU / mobo / video card / memory and drives on a crap PS?

I have run my system on a cheapo 350 watt PS for over a solid year and a half most of it has been with this 2.6 running at over 3.5.

I have never once bought a high end power supply. I have been overclocking since I bought a brand new pentium 100. Never once have I had a power supply failure. Most of the power supplies I have had were just the ones that came with the case I bought.

I don't think its as big a gamble as you are making it out to be.

cancerblack said:
No, but that was the intention.

I wanted to duct one side of the tower straight out the back of the case.

However, because the HSF mounting holes in the mobo are aligned as a rectangle, rather than a square, you can only mount the Tower vertically, either blowing into or away from the the PSU.

Which is a real PITA.

You can't even remove and turn the metal enclosure arounf the fins, because they're rectangular too!

I have mine blowing into the PSU, which seems to be OK, although I can't help but feel my ducted idea would be better.

You noob ! :) I did the same at start the fan was directed to the psu and the metal H-bar was longer on one side then the other when mounted.Try turning the metal H-bar around 90 degrees it will still fit in those holes and your fans will be pointing on the backwards of the case !

Corleonee said:
Try turning the metal H-bar around 90 degrees it will still fit in those holes and your fans will be pointing on the backwards of the case !

I did, it didn't fit.

Are you talking about Socket T, or Socket 478?

Back