2.7ghz x2 enough for a nice pretty gts??

oshia86

Gawd
Ok so heres my deal im thinking of putting my 6800gt agp to rest and upgrading to a evga 8800gts but as most of you know theres the fancy "its only this much more $" versions ex..ko and superoverclocked. Im looking for a lil advice as to if buying one of these overclocked gts's would benefit me (over the standard gts). The money isnt that much of an issue i just dont want to spend it if its not gonna be put to good use. System currently is 939 4600+x2 at 2.7, 2gb ram, msi k8t neo2-fir mobo & bfg 6800gt (playing at 1280x1024 with as much aa and af as possable). Also will be upgrading motherboard to asus a8n32-sli deluxe and power supply to ocz gamextream 700w (from thermaltake 480).In terms of games i play a wide variety quake 4, bf2, 2142, and deffinatly new tites when they come. Also any other good options to the latter two components? Thanks for any and all help

imo these OC edition cards may sound nice, but the clocks they ship with can be reached by the customer by self. on the other hand it will run somewhat faster than a stock one plus has warranty but still i wouldnt bother to spend the extra, it will get you A+ fps in 1280 with eyecandy turned on with or without oc

oh, also you dont need a 700W psu for that system, a good 500W (maybe even try to keep te current if its a stable one) will serve you without any hickups, maybe you can spend the money you save for the oc version of the 8800 but dunno the pricetags

With regards to the thread title, your CPU is PLENTY for the video card, regardless of what the C2D fanatics will tell you.

Everything will play silky smooth at 1280x1024, regardless of whether you get a "vanilla" GTS or an OC-ed one. I doubt you'd see a difference, and regular GTS cards OC quite well, so you could just OC it yourself if you wanted to.

i was looking for a new ps as mine seems to fluctuate alot on the 12v, its single 12v rail w/ 18amps, i actually just found a ocz 600w and silverstone 600w and im looking at those now, about the video card i think a vanilla gts sounds plenty i mean come on im on a 6800 here its time to take it apart and make a key chain out of it :)

Your processor is fine. Now if you have a buyer for your old stuff which will help offset the cost of the new parts then by all means go for it.

Ok so heres my deal im thinking of putting my 6800gt agp to rest and upgrading to a evga 8800gts but as most of you know theres the fancy "its only this much more $" versions ex..ko and superoverclocked. Im looking for a lil advice as to if buying one of these overclocked gts's would benefit me (over the standard gts). The money isnt that much of an issue i just dont want to spend it if its not gonna be put to good use. System currently is 939 4600+x2 at 2.7, 2gb ram, msi k8t neo2-fir mobo & bfg 6800gt (playing at 1280x1024 with as much aa and af as possable). Also will be upgrading motherboard to asus a8n32-sli deluxe and power supply to ocz gamextream 700w (from thermaltake 480).In terms of games i play a wide variety quake 4, bf2, 2142, and deffinatly new tites when they come. Also any other good options to the latter two components? Thanks for any and all help

I was in the same boat on the PSU issue. I recently purchased a 600W moving up from that same Thermaltake 480. On the same system with the same overclocks, it was much more stable with the 600W.

If you can find an eVGA brand card, overclocking won't void your warranty, unless they changed their policy with the 8800 series. So buying a slightly OCed card wouldn't be worth it IMO. That said, when you buy a preOCed card it's a guarantied OC and if the price is close it's not a bad deal and a 2.7g X2 is plenty of power under the hood to run it.

i was looking for a new ps as mine seems to fluctuate alot on the 12v, its single 12v rail w/ 18amps, i actually just found a ocz 600w and silverstone 600w and im looking at those now, about the video card i think a vanilla gts sounds plenty i mean come on im on a 6800 here its time to take it apart and make a key chain out of it :)

buy the silverstone. the ocz is manufactured by fsp (at least it was up until now) which isnt bad, but the silverstone is an etasis, which is about the best. better than a pcp&c, for example. i have the standard gts, and it overclocks way higher than any of the overclocked cards. anyway,my 20% overclcocks (640/950) give me maybe 5% more framerate. vid card overclocking is highly overrated.

Back