$2,750 Headphones

Why is this even news? Ultrasone is a legit company, they're not out there trying to scam people. I've heard their previous $1000 cans and they sounded very good.

I hugely enjoyed my Grado RS-1's through a modified Melos SHA Gold Reference amplifier when I had them - those were just a bit less than these headphones are.

If the amp is deemed "reference" then why would modifications be necessary?to make it more "reference"?

If the amp is deemed "reference" then why would modifications be necessary?to make it more "reference"?

It was 20 years old, so the capacitors were starting to go. I took the opportunity to replace them with even higher tolerance caps, power filtration, source selector switch, volume control, and transformer. Also re-routed the left channel on the PCB to move it further from the power filtering section to reduce the noise floor even further.

If only everything was so hackable. I was born too late to get into the HeathKit thing. The internet seems to be bringing the hobby back, tho.

Back