2.5" vs 3.5" for Home Server

ungraphic

n00b
Joined
Dec 30, 2013
Messages
2
I have a router at home which currently has a 2TB external connected to it, a Western Digital Elements (3.5" drive). The drive stores all my movies which are shared with everyone on the home network including a Boxee Box.

I often find myself needing to take the drive somewhere or copy a mass amount of files to it but over wifi its slow (2-5mbps). The annoyance is that it requires an AC plug.

I'm thinking of switching it with a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178438

How would such a small drive fair against a larger drive in terms of reliability? Since it's basically a home server setup, would the Seagate external be constantly on or does it spin down into a hibernation type mode? I know the WD does. Essentially, my biggest concern is reliability more than speed or anything like that.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
 
Laptop drives seem to be more reliable than desktop drives however I do not have thousands of each so statistically my observations are not significant enough to say anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

Also remember that any drive you buy will always have a chance of failure (regardless of usage) from the day you get it to its 5 or so year expected lifetime and beyond. If you care about your data make backups. And no RAID is not a backup.
 
Last edited:
Laptop drives seem to be more reliable than desktop drives however I do not have thousands of each so statistically my observations are not significant enough to say anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

Also remember that any drive you buy will always have a chance of failure (regardless of usage) from the day you get it to its 5 or so year expected lifetime and beyond. If you care about your data make backups. And no RAID is not a backup.

I've actually got an Apple Time Capsule, which is just apple's gimmicky word for a router with a 3.5" hard drive in it. I suppose I could stick the current 2TB drive in the router as a backup and have the 2.5" external hold the most current files and make periodic backups? It's just movies that are going on the drive, so I don't necessarily need backups of that as they don't have a whole lot of value to me.
 
Back
Top