• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2.5" to 3.5" Adapter

l008com

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
374
I need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter so I can start putting some 2.5" drives in my 8 Bay Mediasonic drive tower. But this drive tower doesn't have SATA "cables", its connectors are permanently fixed inside the case, much like a Mac Pro's SATA drive connectors. So you just slide the drive in. So I need a 2.5" 3.5" adapter that keeps the SATA ports in the same exact place, relative to a 3.5" drive, so it can slide right in to my enclosure's ports.

I've searched around but everything seems to center the smaller drive, which is no good. I've seen some more complex carriers that center the drive and have a separate small board that 'moves' the sata ports. I suppose that could work, but I'd rather have an adapter that just puts my small drive's ports in the right spot. In this particular enclosure, there are no side rails, just a handle type thing you install on the non-port end of the drive. So an L shaped bracket that was essentially just a space filler, would totally work. But I've never seen anything like that.
 
For hot-swap/backplane use, I very much prefer the ICY DOCK 2.5/3.5 converters -- all of them give you a 3.5-sized shell with the 2.5" inside and the back SATA connectors in the right place.

Here's a handy comparison chart.

All models are available on Newegg. The older MB882-SP-xx series was all plastic. The newer ones have a metal shell and are better designed for airflow. I prefer the EZConvert Open Air ($15). Although it's "tool-less", I'd screw in the 2.5 drives from the bottom if it's a permanent install. Great airflow.

I see that your Mediasonic requires you to mount brackets on the sides of the drives? Then I'd get one of the metal shelled converters. For those who have "trayless" hot-swaps (i.e. the bare drive goes in and out), I'd recommend the plastic EZConvert Lite because there's no sharp edges :)
 
For hot-swap/backplane use, I very much prefer the ICY DOCK 2.5/3.5 converters -- all of them give you a 3.5-sized shell with the 2.5" inside and the back SATA connectors in the right place.

Here's a handy comparison chart.

All models are available on Newegg. The older MB882-SP-xx series was all plastic. The newer ones have a metal shell and are better designed for airflow. I prefer the EZConvert Open Air ($15). Although it's "tool-less", I'd screw in the 2.5 drives from the bottom if it's a permanent install. Great airflow.

I see that your Mediasonic requires you to mount brackets on the sides of the drives? Then I'd get one of the metal shelled converters. For those who have "trayless" hot-swaps (i.e. the bare drive goes in and out), I'd recommend the plastic EZConvert Lite because there's no sharp edges :)

thats cool. Do you know hich one is the cheapest that fits a 2.5 SSD into hot swap bays?
 
thats cool. Do you know hich one is the cheapest that fits a 2.5 SSD into hot swap bays?

For naked hot-swap bays (no trays), go with this one for $10.99. If your bays require the use of trays, the EZConvert Air Lite for $11.99. If you will be swapping SSDs in/out of the trays, then the tool-less EZConvert Air I linked earlier for $14.99.
 
For naked hot-swap bays (no trays), go with this one for $10.99. If your bays require the use of trays, the EZConvert Air Lite for $11.99. If you will be swapping SSDs in/out of the trays, then the tool-less EZConvert Air I linked earlier for $14.99.

wow 12 bucks for that? Thats awesome. I needed the later. Buying two and seeing if it works in my TS440 and norco 4224

That metal chrome one would work right (air lite)?
 
That metal chrome one would work right (air lite)?

From first-hand experience, it definitely works in the Norco trays (use side screws). I don't see why it wouldn't work with Lenovo trays as well.

A few years ago, the only decent option used to be an HP sled -- probably $15-17 on eBay, and knockoffs from China for $10 or so. So happy Icy Dock makes this line of converters now. The HP sleds are much rarer and more expensive now, while the knockoffs cost about the same as the Icy Docks (~$15 or so).
 
Back
Top