• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2.5 laptop drive array

burnin8r

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
1,211
I recently got a cheap 160GB 2.5" laptop drive, does anyone use these for storage arrays ? I searched and saw no related topics. I was able to find a 5.25" bay device which stored 4x 2.5" HDs, but it was sata and the drive I have is IDE. What I am looking for is a bracket to mount 2 or more of these drives in a 5.25" optical drive bay or 3.5" slot. I appreciate any feedback, even just recommendations to just get a single external enclosure and be done with it. thnx in advance...
 
Yes, people do make little arrays out of these... not for performance, but for the ruggedness and efficiency. If you made a tiny array such as this, your main focus should be critical storage with little physical space consumption.

To my knowledge, you can't get a little 4 in 1 for IDE. Your best bet is to ditch this IDE drive and get SATA drives. Actually, a better bet would be to sell this drive and grab yourself a proper desktop drive or two of them and raid those... not only will it save you the hassle, but it gives you more storage.

In all honesty, you are just going to burn money for nothing else other than a "look what I did" response. Buying more drives, a drive bay adapter, adn making older technology work, you are better off starting over with desktop drives or at least with SATA drives.
 
I am a µATX enthusiast so I do not have the luxury of multiple unused 3.5" and 5.25" bays. My current rig has a single 3.5" SATA HD in the one unused optical drive bay, my lone 3.5" slot has a fan controller. Normally there is a cage inside for 2 additional HDs but I removed it for airflow. This 160GB IDE 2.5" drive was $29 on clearance at BestBuy, and I was trying to guage whether or not to buy a few more. I will probably just get an enclosure for the one I have and use it as an external for back ups rather than mounting it (or more than one) internally. I may score some points with my fellow small form factor enthusiasts, maybe I can get a friend who does custom fabrication for motorcycles to make a bracket for me. Thanks for the input.
 
I did see plenty of those on ebay, I was hoping for a bracket or enclosure that mounted two to four 2.5" drives, preferably internal for a single 3.5" or 5.25" bay.. I think I am just going to get a cheap enclosure and use this drive for back ups. thanks !

edit - bought an enclosure.
 
Back
Top