2.4ghz fsb on a P965

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I am planning on upgrading this rig in the summer but there is one thing I am kinda stuck on. One thing I really want to do is be able to hit a 2.4ghz FSB (which I understand can be done but is difficult) on my motherboard. What kind of cooling solution would I need for my current motherboard? Would I have to go to liquid cooling to be able to keep the board stable?

Your sig says you have an E6600 which is already 2.4GHz (9x266FSB). There is no way you could raise the FSB to 2.4GHz, so I think you need to clarify exactly what you are trying to do so you get get a proper answer. Thanks.

He wants to get to a 600FSB. It's been done, but usually takes some voltmods and some heavy cooling. Also, which revision of the DS3 are you running? Be forewarned, your chip may not handle it either. You'd definitely have to drop to the lowest multiplier, and even then you're trying to get to 3.6GHz.

I am going to make a transfer to a 45nm cpu in the summer. It's a motherboard switch that is up in the air for me. Reaching a rated FSB of 2.4ghz is a big goal of mine so I want to know if any of the newer chipsets (like the P35 or x48) are more easily taken that high or if it's going to basically be the same across the board.

The X38, and X48 boards can do 600 FSB, but you may want to get a new chipset cooler.

I would almost guarantee it, it seems like nowadays P965 chipsets are ancient, I would bet money on the x48 chipset being engineered to be able to handle those higher FSBs, but like posted above, get some really good NB cooling.

The X38, and X48 boards can do 600 FSB, but you may want to get a new chipset cooler.

That'd be an understatement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this go under the category of sub-zero cooling? The voltage alone would cook the thing.

Do they operate at that speed better than the P965 would?

The X38 especially is designed to work with forthcoming high-FSB chips, so it would work better at 600FSB than a 965 board assuming you were lucky enough to get one that can hit those speeds stably. You'd definitely need some pretty heavy cooling on it, at least water if not phase, and you'd probably need to volt-mod the chipset too. Also, forget about running that 24/7. That kind of FSB is attainable for suicide runs, but trying to run that speed day-to-day would probably kill the board.

Back