2.4C to 3.4E, Worth it?

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
7,301
The P4 system in my sig is running great, i've had it for about a year now. I was just thinking if it would be worth upgrading to a 3.4E. The 2.4C in it right now is running at 3.4 with no problems. I'm thinking that I might be able to push a 3.4E to 4.0. I don't plan on upgrading anything else, so would it be worth it to upgrade just the processor to the fastest I can go on my s478 board?

I'm cooling the system with a Koolance EXOS.
 
I think without a doubt you'll get the 3.4 to 4.0. Most 3.2E's and many 3.0E's will get to 4 too. But, i'm kind of in the same boat as you, maxed out on the 478 platform. Personally, going from northwood to prescott was a bad move for me. The heat issues way offset whatever performance gains i got. So, i ended up going back to a northwood. If you can get a 3.4E for cheap, go for it. If you're paying retail, no way. just my opinion.
 
Scroatdog said:
Save your cash for when you eventually make the switch to PCI Express....

Thats what I was planning on doing. I figure I might build a new system when the next gen amd/intel hardware comes out. By that time, hopefully 64bit will be more widespread.
 
I went from a 2.4c to a 3.2e and I couldn't be happier. I also have a koolance exos watercooled system. I easily overclocked to 4ghz perfectly stable. I did have to raise the vcore to 1.5v due to undervolting under load. Just get a 3.2e.... it's much cheaper and you should still be able to hit 4ghz easily. Just make sure you're using the newer cpu waterblock.... cpu-300. I see load temps of 44-45c.
 
I had a 3.2 ghz NW, 4.1 ghz Celeron D, and now a 3.2EE. Nothing can really touch the EE. It is noticably faster in games than the other processors. However, the 3.4E is nothing to sneeze at. I would just get a 530J and an 865 hybrid board.
 
you can probably get an

AMD 3400+ 754pin and a Asus K8N motherboard for the same price of the 3.4E..

If you play alot of games, that would be a better upgrade
 
not worth it.

You've already got a 3.4 (oc'd 2.4 with high FSB) so why go to a HOT prescott 3.4 that might give you a little more CPU power, but slower FSB.
 
Back
Top