Tygerwoody

Gawd
ok, I have had this 2.4C for over a year and a half now. My original Setup was:

2.4C stock heatsink
IS7
2x256 corsair 3200 XMS ram
Vantec Ion Power supply 420w
Geforce 4 Ti 4600

my highest stable overclock was fsb 260 with a 5:4 or 3:2 ratio. The only problem, is 261 would not even boot into windows. No matter what setting i used, same results. Completely stable to nothing in 1 mhz. I can lax the timings all i want, change memory/proc ratios, up voltage to CPU. If i got at least a little bit more from the cpu from an increase in voltage i would suspect it would be it. Nothing nothing nothing. Same results.

So I'm thinking cooling right? buy a thermalright SLK948U HSF with a 92mm tornado. Guess what same results.

So I'm thinking memory. Has to be the memory. Buy 2x512 Corsair 3700 ram. Same results.

Buy a 6800 GT. Which doesn't have anything to do with overclocking, but for the sake of history, i'm putting it down.

By now I'm like, man this motherboard has got to be it. Buy an IC7. Guess what? same results.(actually the IS7 has almost the exact same performance as the IC7, even though the IC7 has a "better" chipset)

Again, i'm thinking memory. I buy this nice 2x512 TCCD memory. Run at whatever ratio i want. 1:1 5:4 3:2 does not matter. Same result

I use my buddys Thermalright XP 120 HSF, SAME THING.

really guys I am at a loss for words. 260 completely stable. 261 absolutely nothing. I am a long time overclocker and this has got me completely stumped.

For the record:

Up to date bios
tried every bios setting imaginable i can think of.
fixed AGP/PCI
upped voltage on cpu(from 1.525, all the way up to 1.625 no difference in stability, small increase in temps)/memory/agp
laxed memory timings
tried every memory ratio with 5 different types of memory
set the bios PAT to Auto Normal Auto Disable Disable
tried disabling hyperthreading
Windows overclocking tools used, as well as bios

What on earth is going on? I'm sure i am forgetting something else i did, but if anyone has any ideas so that i can OC higher i would appreciate it. out of all of this the only parts that still remain are my case and power supply. The rest has been swapped out at one point. My Current settings are in my sig. Thanks

Could it be you actually found the limit to what you're CPU will do?

Theres no magic trick. The CPU's have limits. Eventually you will hit the wall of what it can do. Usually it's not so fine a line. But more than likely based on everything you've listed in your post. You've just capped out.

It happens. 3.12GHz isn't a bad overclock for a 2.4C. That's a huge increase from a cheap lower end CPU to a higher end CPU speed. Not bad at all. Northing to be ashamed of.

You've tried memory, you've tried settings and a different motherboard. The CPU's the constant factor in all your overclocking and you always hit the same wall. That sounds like you've maxed out.

I'd say CPU more than PSU.. he got the 6800 and it was fine...

I'd sell that chip and get another.. maybe even another 2.4..

what type of HDD are you using? SATA drives tend to limit o/c's to a point where 1mhz makes all the difference

is it safe to use software oc like clockgen?

i mean if in his case he used the software oc and set it to 261fsb and it crapped out. how would he fix it?

wahoyaho said:
is it safe to use software oc like clockgen?

i mean if in his case he used the software oc and set it to 261fsb and it crapped out. how would he fix it?

It doesnt permanently set his bios. And even if he did, he could just move jumpers to fix.

so if you were using say clockgen, you'd have to change the fsb each time you restart?

i'm just wondering b/c i got 2.4c too but my mobo doesn't let me oc

wahoyaho said:
so if you were using say clockgen, you'd have to change the fsb each time you restart?

i'm just wondering b/c i got 2.4c too but my mobo doesn't let me oc

If your mobo doesnt let you, then chances are clockgen wont either. As I understand it, each clockgen is written specifically for a motherboard, otherwise it wouldnt work.

yah it is, but on the website it says my mobo is supported

I have Asus P4P800-VM and CG-ICS952607 supports it. :x

i know most people are saying its the chip but really if it was the chip voltages would matter, and they do not. 260 fsb is completely stable with default voltages(which everyone is right, that is still a decent overclock). But i can add an entire .1 voltage and there is absolutely no difference.

Could it possiblely be the psu?

I've heard somewhere that there is a dead spot around 260 and that going above by 6 or 7 MHZ might do the trick. Try 267 and see what happens.

i have tried 265, but no higher. I will try 267 - 270 when i get home. I'll let you guys know the results.

Again, is there a slight possibility it could be my psu? that sounds strange to me considering i have a fairly good psu, and i did not think the psu had much to do with overclocking

Well, I got my 2.4c when they first came out, love mine to death. Was able to hit 3.6 on it but it crashed when ever i ran a program, even IE.

I would think that you might be topping out your cpu too, 1ghz overclocks aren't exactly normal without crazy cooling. Hell, I am using water now because i couldn't get about 3.0ghz stable on air. Overclocking isn't an exact science, it is a masterful art.

Behold, my mighty sig.

I added cooling and added voltage. No difference at all except for the fact i had cooler temps. This leads me to believe it is a bottleneck somewhere else, because voltage should at least give me a little something, as well as the cooling

my 2.4C does 3.4 stable at stock voltage on water. I might guess that if u're hitting a wall it could be a mobo issue. Have you tried adding vagp and voltage to the NB, maybe cooling? Update your bios as well, or try archived versions of the bios, my NF7-s brick walled until i got a tictac bios.

XeroHouR said:
my 2.4C does 3.4 stable at stock voltage on water. I might guess that if u're hitting a wall it could be a mobo issue. Have you tried adding vagp and voltage to the NB, maybe cooling? Update your bios as well, or try archived versions of the bios, my NF7-s brick walled until i got a tictac bios.
i stated my bios is updated(i have changed many times in between). I also updated i changed motherboards. I have upped agp voltage. I have not done any kind of voltage mods. NB has stock cooling but has arctic silver 5.

also that 267-270 fsb trick did not work.

It could be the power supply I had the same PSU. If you haven't already, download AbitEq and start that up, run sisoft run the cpu and memory test and check out the voltage fluctions, if they fluctuate more than 4-5% then that psu could be holding you back.

I do not know anything about power supplys so if i sound like an idiot, im sorry.

none of the voltages fluctuate more than .01 or .02 except for one

+12.00 rail fluctuates from 11.49 to 11.80 , which seems like pretty much. What does +12.00 rail go to? Shouldn't it be closer to 12?

also

the -12.00 rail only gets to -8.08
the -5.00 rail only gets to -2.78

should they be closer to spec or is this normal?

If I go higher on my pentium 4 by 1 mhz fsb, it will crash right away. I think you have reached the limit of the chip. My previous 2.4 couldn't go past 3.2ghz. Now this one goes to 3.4ghz.

Tygerwoody said:
I do not know anything about power supplys so if i sound like an idiot, im sorry.

none of the voltages fluctuate more than .01 or .02 except for one

+12.00 rail fluctuates from 11.49 to 11.80 , which seems like pretty much. What does +12.00 rail go to? Shouldn't it be closer to 12?

also

the -12.00 rail only gets to -8.08
the -5.00 rail only gets to -2.78

should they be closer to spec or is this normal?

11.49 is pretty low for the 12v. rail, and that's the rail that your processor runs on. Try disconnecting a few case fans, and your optical drives to lessen the load on that rail and then see if your voltage stays closer to 12v (above 11.8). See if your able to overclock the processor anymore that way. If you can, then you found your problem. Also monitor the 3.3v rail and make sure that one doesn't dip below 2.8 (or under the amount that your vdimm is set for in the BIOS, this can hinder your overclock as well).

Power rails are supposed to remain pretty stable even under load. If you get a chance look into the power supply forum. Lots of great information in there, and the moderators are really helpful.

Back