• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2 4870x2s in crossfire...

OMGHAXCODE

n00b
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
46
I used to have a crossfire option in my catalyst under overdrive, now it isn't there... I'm guessing that means my cards aren't in xfire. yes I'm using 2 4870x2s not just one so it should be there shouldn't it? latest driver with 8.12 catalyst

why isn't it there?
 
I dont think I have seen it either, but maybe you dont with 1 4870 X2, just catalyst AI needing to be enabled *shrug*?
 
if the catalyst drivers installed correctly, once you returned to the desktop from restart, the catalyst drivers would notify you that you have video cards capable of crossfire and asks you if you want to enable the feature.
 
what os? i don't always suggest this because it isn't generally necessary, but give driver sweeper a shot in safe mode after uninstalling catalyst.
 
removed ATI products from vista, rebooted into safe mode, used drive sweeper to clear ageia and ati, and rebooted into normal. I reinstalled cat and criver with 8.12 and I still see no crossfire. is there any way to check to see if the other card is functioning? could it be the crossfire bridge thing?

what about my bios settings?
 
GPU-z sees 4 cores and for crossfire it says this"
1. Enabled (2 GPUs), Sideport On (Slave)
2. Disabled
3. Enabled (2 GPUs), Sideport Off
4. Enabled (2 GPUs), Sideport Off
 
Try the 8.12 Hotfix or 8.11, some people can't get crossfire to work with the 8.12.
 
Suppose you've tried re-attaching the crossfire bridge or trying another one?
 
I tried using the other, unopened crossfire bridge and it still doesn't show the crossfire option. it isn't 8.12 because I was using 8.08 and it didn't recognize it so I tried 8.12 and still nothing.
 
time to rma. enabling crossfire isn't rocket science. it shouldn't be this hard to get everything running unless there were some kind of physical problem with the hardware. i have to rma one of my x2, too. shit happens.
 
damn it. it could still be both devices though don't you think? I didn't test each card individually yet though because I was out of town but technically it could still be the main display card I'm using now right?
 
damn it. it could still be both devices though don't you think? I didn't test each card individually yet though because I was out of town but technically it could still be the main display card I'm using now right?

Crap, it could be the motherboard too.
Have you tried running 3Dmark and comparing with prior crossfire recognized scores? Maybe it's in crossfire but the software isn't displaying it.
 
Are you using the 0701 BIOS for the Rampage Formula? One of the changes was:

Fixed use 2 pieces of ATI4870X2 VGA Card can't display from Primary slot display monitor

Which might or might not fix an issue you are having with Crossfire perhaps.
 
using 0308...

guessing that is an earlier version than 0701? I completely forgot how to flash BIOS. do I need a floppy drive? (don't have one)
 
Definitely flash it right away. You don't need a floppy drive, ASUS has a utility that does the whole thing for you in Windows called Asus Update( http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=714 ).

That said, I've read here and there about people having trouble updating the BIOS with this program, so maybe you should wait for some input from other users before trying it. Personally I've used it more than 5 times on my Maximus Extreme without any problems, but I wouldn't want your MB to become useless if it turns out I've just been lucky.
 
The BIOS should help.

If not, have you tried using the system with just one 4870x2 at a time to verify that both cards individually work OK? That would help you narrow down some of the possibilities as to what may be wrong.
 
how do I go about doing that then?

Does your Asus have the ASUS EZ Flash Utility? Check the manual. Basically, copy the Bios (*.ROM) file onto the flash drive. If you have it, it may tell you when booting: "<ALT> + <F2>" to access bios utility.
 
Haven't tried that myself, but assuming you have a flash drive I believe it's as simple as just downloading the bios version you want, copying it over to the flash drive, going into BIOS and using that EZ Flash function or whatever it's called.

Here's a page I found about it: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...del=P5B+Deluxe/WiFi-AP&SLanguage=en-us&page=1

You are correct. I flashed my Rampage Formula all the time by downloading bios to a flash drive, rebooting, going into bios, and running the ASUS EZ Flash.
 
I would avoid using the Asus Update flasher. Had a few friends ruin boards with that... works fine for a few others, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just do the EZ-Flash method. Pop your 0701 BIOS on a USB drive or CD or anything, hit ALT+F2 on BIOS bootup screen, and it should take you straight to it. Then just flash it.

If that doesn't help at all, perhaps do a clean install of your OS.
 
uhh problem....

I went to asus.com went to support then download then Rampage Formula under LGA 775, downloaded 0701. extraced the ROM and put it on the flash, booted up and hit the alt F2, flashed it, said restarting in 5 second, and when it restarted I didn't get any video....

my monitor isn't recognizing a signal on any of the video cards and I'm now posting on my old computer. using the same monitor so it isn't the monitor... wtf happened?
 
ok here is what is going on now...

I took the card out that I was using as primary display. rebooted using the other card and it booted fine BUT when I got to vista it said the drivers weren't working and catalyst wouldn't open. I uninstalled ATI drivers/cat and reboot into safe mode. I ran sweeper and tried installing the drivers while in safe mode but it told me that the it couldn't recognize setup and I couldn't install. I put the other card in and put the bridge back on rebooted and now I'm back but without drivers/catalyst.

anyone know wtf happened after flash where I couldn't get a display?
 
just getting the error failed to load detection driver when I try to install catalyst 8.12
 
Damn, haven't had that happen. See whether you fixed the x-fire problem after installing catalyst.
 
relax. don't get too spooked by some unusual behavior after flashing the bios. get back to a baseline where you can testing if your cards are working individually.
 
problem is I can't install catalyst.both cards work because I rebooted with only one in there (the one I don't use as primary display) so both run but now I can't install catalyst.
 
Back
Top