• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2.1 ACS 495 replacements suggestions?

Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
16
I am STILL using my Altec Lansing ACS495 speakers. They sound awesome still, but it's time to get something new. I'm having some issues with the sub and need to find a more aesthetically pleasing replacement, otherwise I would try and find a used ACS495.

Does anyone have any direct comparisons/upgrade experience? Are any of the new 2.1 speaker sets from Logitech, Altec Lansing, etc. worth a damn when compared? I don't want to downgrade. What about a 5.1 set without the rears? Rears are not really feasible in my office and I don't want cords everywhere.

What about using HT speakers? I have two Onkyo speakers from my HTS7100 7.1 set I didn't end up using (used some in-wall ones), but I don't want a huge receiver (or any receiver really) on my desk. Any better way to get from speaker wire to 3.5mm?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
 
You can't connect you're computer directly to those Onkyo speakers... you need an amp.

I would suggest looking at a pair of active monitors if you are looking for quality over quantity.

Can't really help unless you give us a budget.
 
Budget is flexible, ideally a few hundred dollars ($300 or so), since PC 2.1 speakers run less than $100.

With the amp+bookshelf/HT speakers route, is there a space-saving solution? I have a spare full-size stereo amp that would do the trick, but I don't really want to add it to my PC setup.

Thanks!
 
I do actually, but I didn't for awhile. They sound great without one. I have it really low and blended just to give that extra reach in the lower frequencies.
 
What sub do you have? I'm looking into getting the M200's myself to replace my BA735s.
 
Wow, thanks for the explanation, I'm definitely on the right track now!

Found a bunch of active monitor pairs for around $100 here:

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=&cat=2863&cat2=&ob=p19&rl=&rh=&button=search/filter&form=search

Anyone have any experience with these? I'd prefer to spend $100/per monitor or less.
How would these compare to the Swans?

Any of those will sound great. If you also want to eliminate having to buy a quality soundcard/DAC to get the full potential out of them, I suggest getting either the Alesis M1 320 USB's or the Behringer MS20's because of their built in DAC. If you can afford it, the MS40's are even nicer.
 
A little confused about wattage. Since these are powered/active speakers, this actually DOES matter, right?

So for example, if the Samson Resolv 65a has a "dual power amp (75 watts low and 25 watts high)", can it be said it has 100 watts (per speaker, if I read that correctly)?

For reference: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMRESOLV65A

How does this compare to the Behringer MS40, for example, that has 40 watts? Does wattage matter for lower volumes or is it just for sound quality at high volume?

BTW, I have a crazy spreadsheet of $200 or less Active Monitors...you can find it here:

http://drop.io/activemonitors

I think the Samson Resolve 2.1 (50a + Sub88) for $220 is a pretty rad deal.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Resolv%2021%20Active%20Studio%20Monitor%20System_-1_10052_10002_-49971123
 
Back
Top