2.0 w/o a DAC

ryken

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
3,106
I'm planning on switching up my computer audio from my Logitech Z680's (the old version of the Z5000) to a 2.0 setup. I have it narrowed down to the Swan M200mkii or the M-Audio AV40. I only listen to music and streamed TV on my computer. All gaming is done through the headset.

My question is, how will these speakers sounds without a DAC? The whole point of the 2.0 is to have less crap to set up, and less wires going everywhere. I also can stomach the $150 on the speakers, but another $100 on the DAC is out of my budget. Will they still sound alright? Or is a DAC an absolute must? I am, and will be, using Realtek HD onboard sound.
 
Even with onboard they will be a HUGE upgrade is sound quality.

That being said, I ran my M200MKII's with my Realtek onboard for awhile before I picked up my Fubar II DAC, and now when I switch back to the Realtek its like pulling teeth. So harsh and no detail.

So yea, ignorance is bliss.
 
That's what I was hoping to hear! I'll just roll with ignorance for a bit, it's hard enough explaining why I want new speakers to the fiancée, much less a little box that she will see no value in whatsoever.
 
Well if you want better sound for your desktop you could grab an E-MU 0404 PCI card for about $50 used or refurb at Creative's site.
 
I believe MAudio makes nice monitors with USB sound cards built in now, no? You'll get better sound with just speakers, but you'll now be limited to your sound card for sure.
 
The DAC is not essential, and you can always buy the speakers now, and upgrade your sound output when/if you desire. The speakers on their own will be quite an upgrade!

Trust me, I run my AV40s off of two different platforms:

Soundblaster Audigy
Mac Mini onboard

They sound almost exactly the same, which is a testament to how much better onboard sound has gotten. I've been considering a DAC upgrade, but I haven't been willing to part with the cash, because I know the improvement won't be as much as getting the speakers themselves was.
 
Back
Top