2.0 speakers...Suggestions?

Abilities

Weaksauce
Hello everyone!

I am looking to get rid of my Bose POS computer speakers and would like some suggestions. I am currently using the onboard audio since i think thats all i really need for stereo, but i could be wrong. If you have a suggestion for a sound card, im all ears.

I listen to a lot of music. A lot of trance, metal, and rap. I'm a basshead, i'll admit it lol. I play a ton of WoW also, with the occasional FPS thrown in there.

I'm looking to spend, at most, $150 on the speakers.

P.S. I'm an audio n00b :)

Well then I guess these little money sucking bastiges won't be up your alley:

Bose "Music Monitors"

I mean, I know Bose charges a premium price for everything they make, well above and beyond what the hardware could possibly ever be worth, but that price, for those... well... after helping people choose non-Bose hardware for 30+ years, those things take the cake as the most ridiculously overpriced hardware I've ever seen Bose have the guts to actually put on the market.

And I tested them recently at the Bose Outlet here in Las Vegas and... well... if you have the older Companions (and I mean the 1st generation Companions, not the second generation) you're better off with those. The 2nd generation was crap, the 1st was fairly decent but even so, these little things are just garbage. People see that Bose name and wham, they want to buy 'em and it's sad, it really is.

Anywho... if you can find these someplace these are the ones I'd recommend if you absolutely must choose 2.0 speakers:

Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 speakers

Those are the best multimedia-purposed 2.0 speakers I've ever had the pleasure to demo and own. Simply amazing sound quality, but then again they're Klipsch. If you can handle 2.1 speakers, then the regular Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup is arguably the standard for 2.1 computer speakers with tons of favorable reviews - and I'm listening to some FLAC files on mine even as I type this.

Those Ultras can be relatively tough to find as they're discontinued as of mid-2007 or so, but I'd still put effort into locating a pair because they truly are amazing.

I will give high marks to the Logitech Z-10 2.0 multimedia-purposed speakers also:

Logitech Z-10 2.0 speakers

They're amazing, truly, but they're bass heavy and even with some adjustment it's just too overpowering across the board. The simplistic bass/treble controls don't have the necessary fine-grain that I prefer so I ended up altering the output of my soundcard, and I rarely ever use EQ or mod the sound, period. With the Klipsch, I don't have to.

The Logitechs are touch-screen also: the entire surface of the one speaker with the LCD display in it is pretty cool, but make sure your fingers or skin isn't greasy or it not only looks bad but it won't work right either. :)

There are tons of different 2.0 setups available but I limited my recommendations to ones designed for "PC audio" primarily. I won't get into the higher end 2.0 Near-Field-Monitor style stuff from several manufacturers as I don't use that type of equipment. I'm sure another poster will bring some of them into the thread, however.

If you're a basshead, you could get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system. Yes, it's not 2.0, but it gives you more bass than most 2.0 systems in the price range you're looking at. Alternatively, you could get a pair of Insignia speakers (NS-B2111) from Best Buy and run them with something like the Sonic Impact T-Amp which can be found @ parts-express.com . That 2.0 setup should give you a ton of bass and will sound far better than most speakers under $150.

You could look to a set of monitor speakers for 2.0. There are some decent sets available for $150 and under... bass isn't going to be thumping like it would if you have a subwoofer but many of them will still provide good sound.

I'll throw in the Edirol MA-15D as an example. I've had a set for a while now and I think they sound great. They also have a bass enhancement capability that really increases the lower end output, and at higher volumes it definitely causes some localized rumbling. Plus digital and analog inputs and a headphone jack on the front of one is nice.

Wow. thank you for the quick and awesome responses. Joe, that is one hell of an informative post. The Z-10's are damn pretty. I've heard good things about them.

CodeRed, i completely forgot about the pairing of Insignia speakers and sonic impact amp. i was about to get that combo a few months ago. i cant really remember why i stopped. i went even so far as to order the sonic amp from parts-express. i think i was thinking about getting the Sherwood RD-6500.

the Edirol MA-15D's are a set i have never heard of but damn if im not glad u brought them to my attention, deruberhanyok. If i wasnt a research nut i would order these today. Anyone else have experience with them?

Thank you guys again for the awesome suggestions.

Stay the fuck away from anything Klipsch. My promedia 2.0's have a sound volume knob problem that also happened with my 2.1's. Its just dirty ass volume knob problems that make the volume uneven on the left or right side, or you hear static. Paid a premium for these speakers, for what? The name? Yeah Fuck Klipsch.

While I wanted to post a reply that would dismiss the one just above, I have to admit that my Promedia 2.1 set does the same thing when the volume is almost closed. It's developed that static/crackle because of a relatively low quality potentiometer on the audio control pod, but that doesn't make these speakers shitty because I've had the same problems with Logitechs, Altec Lansings, and even the much vaunted Bose speakers (2 different sets of Bose).

But then again, I do live in a desert (Las Vegas) and I get similar problems with any device that uses this type of analog volume control. Dust, yanno... it gets into everything.

One relatively lower quality component isn't enough to totally blow off the speakers, that's ludicrous. I just wanted to say that I've experienced it and currently experience it, but it's not limited to just Klipsch products, that's all.

Pc speakers suck.

Go on craigslist if you are in a metro area. Sure to score an amp and some real speakers. Little dinky ass pc speakers will not DO.

I am getting some Polk SDA SRS-2.
http://www.polksda.com/sdasrs2.shtml

135 lbs each and they go down to 12hz!!
Four 6.5" midrange and two tweets per speaker.

270 lbs of BASS for $400 on Craigslist in my little city.

Out of your price range but hey it is still pretty sweet lol.

Pc speakers suck.

Go on craigslist if you are in a metro area. Sure to score an amp and some real speakers. Little dinky ass pc speakers will not DO.

ya know spaceman, i think you go into threads just to gloat ;) just kiddin

Thanks for pointing me in a direction but could u tell me what "some real speakers" are? or should i just run to the first guy selling Cerwin Vega speakers? lol. do u think the Insignia's hooked to a Sonic Impact amp would do the trick? i think im willing to spread my price point to $200 if i can get adequate equipment.

What about the Audioengine A2? They're very solid all the way around and look great. It's relatively expensive for a pair of 2.0's at around $200.

What about the Audioengine A2? They're very solid all the way around and look great. It's relatively expensive for a pair of 2.0's at around $200.

They have no bass though. The Insignias are ok for close up but not really adequate down low. For cheap, you will have to get full sized speakers like a pair of CWs. No way around that. Perhaps get a pair of decent monitors like the A2s and add a Dayton sub later? That would be about $300 over all.

If it is for a desktop, you really might have to go 2.1 in order to get full range.

My little room is going to get all blown up with what I am getting. Hopefully, we will move to a larger house soon. The door to the basement already has a breeze coming out of it with my 550s. With the SRS-2 it will be air conditioning for the whole house! booooom

Thank you guys for helping me with this. i think those who said i should go for 2.1 are right. i'll be going to best buy tonite to check out the Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Thanks again!

Klipsch makes good multimedia speakers, their volume control knobs are extremely low quality and there are people who have DIYed better ones for a few $$.

The Logitech Z-10 is easily the best looking 2.0 setup but from what I heard the sound quality tends to lag behind the competing products. Cambridge Soundworks T20s from what I've seen have always won the shootouts with the between these three and the Altec Lansing MX5020. But any of these four are a compromise between size and sound quality, and there isn't a single one with passable (undistorted) bass, with the Altec Lansings and the Z-10s probably being the worst culprits.

The Z-10s are truly "multimedia speakers" since they are USB speakers and are basically tethered to your PC for practical use.

I used to own Klispch 2.1's, they had the static problem only when changing volume, but overall volume was the same on both left and right. Now the Promedia ultra 2.0's, they do the same but its WORSE. You adjust volume, but one side has no volume or ones greater than the other. Also when you equalize both ends by fucking with the knob enough, then you get distortion at high volumes.

Well if all speakers have that issue, at least with someone else you would probably being paying a lot less. I paid $100 on impulse for the Promedia ultra 2.0's, worst impulse buy ever. Thinking, hey, its Klipsch, should have some quality components. Sounds great when it works, but mine don't.

I just want to back up the 'STAY AWAY FROM KLIPSCH!' campaign. I've also owned the ProMedia Ultra 2.0 speakers and I ALSO had the volume knob issue. I would get static, random dropoffs, and uneven sound. Someone on their forum posted a 'fix' but it was quite temporary (it fixed the problem for all of two weeks or so). The only way around the issue, I think, is to leave your speakers on 24/7.

Pc speakers suck.

Frequency response without tolerance (+/- dB) is useless. Knowing they go to 12 Hz doesn't mean anything if they're down 30 dB at that point.

I just want to back up the 'STAY AWAY FROM KLIPSCH!' campaign. I've also owned the ProMedia Ultra 2.0 speakers and I ALSO had the volume knob issue. I would get static, random dropoffs, and uneven sound. Someone on their forum posted a 'fix' but it was quite temporary (it fixed the problem for all of two weeks or so). The only way around the issue, I think, is to leave your speakers on 24/7.

I had the same problem with my 4.1 Logitech Z560s. I guess they use really cheap volume pots and a bad design for the whole control thing.... Ended up keeping the speakers at a specific volume and relying on software volume controls. Still doing the same with my current speakers, haha. Habit.

Back