• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2.0 or 3.0 USB Flash Stick ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 18, 2016
Messages
3,654
Right now I am using USB 2.0 flash drives but want new low profile usb flash sticks.

What would be the best please? Brand ?
 
USB3 = faster , assuming you have USB3 ports.

Kingston / Samsung all the normal brands are good
 
Honestly any name brand should be fine. I buy whatever is on sale.
I wouldn't say that. Might be just my luck but anything outside Sony, Samsung, Sandisk seem to die with in months of even light use for me.
 
I hear those tiny nano USB flash drives get quite hot and would disconnect til they cool down.

Anyhow I would pay the extra cost for the USB 3.0.
 
Don't buy USB 2.0 drives.

Builders have stopped even trying to make these fast, they just throw whatever they can together to make it as cheap as possible.

This means that many USB 2 drives are SLOWER than they used to be.

Buy the cheapest USB 3 drive you can, because those are now the minimum usable performance level. They're also usually a dollar or two more, so you have no excuse these days.

And don't worry about the drive overheating - that only happens when you're writing large amounts of data. Not something that will happen often.
 
Last edited:
Don't buy USB 2.0 drives.

Builders have stopped even trying to make these fast, they just throw whatever they can together to make it as cheap as possible.

This means that many USB 2 drives are SLOWER than they used to be.

A good example is the still-available SanDisk Cruzer Glide, whose current revision still falls well below 10 MB/second in sequential write speeds despite updates to make those drives "USB 2.0/3.0 compatible" (the read speeds, however, are now above 20 MB/second). The last revision of the USB 2.0 Cruzer before SanDisk replaced it with the Cruzer Glide could sustain about 13 MB/second in sequential writes. At the prices that Western Digital has been charging for those drives, one can buy the same company's Ultra USB 3.0 drive (which can sustain at least 50 MB/second in sequential writes and 100 MB/second in sequential reads) for only a little more money.
 
I hear those tiny nano USB flash drives get quite hot and would disconnect til they cool down.

Anyhow I would pay the extra cost for the USB 3.0.

I can confirm that and their performance can suck. I bought 2 x 64G and a 128G Sandisk ones and they do drop cause they get so hot you can barely touch them.
 
Back
Top