• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2.0 desktop speakers with optical input

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,803
Been searching for a couple of days for a decent set of desktop 2.0 speakers that has an optical input. Decent meaning around $75.00 or so. Seems like this speaker config is rare...any good solutions? Thanks in advance.

Not interested in a receiver.
 
Optical signal must be converted to analog before going to the actual speaker (driver).

That is why you don't see optical input on speakers. Powered (monitor or studio) speakers do not typically have a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). In order to use either passive or active speakers you must feed them an analog signal (from a receiver or sound card).

Logitech has only added optical input as a marketing gimmick so users think they are getting better signal to the speakers. In reality, the user may have a better DAC (on their soundcard) than the DAC that is built into the Logitech control pod.
 
lol.. Wasn't trying to be a dick, but most of what you typed I know already. However, it still doesn't really help me. I can understand the reasoning behind optical input being rare on multimedia speakers, but there are a few (in which you named Logitech), and in those few I'm trying to locate a 2.0 setup, whereas most of said speakers are 2.1 and up.

The situation is that I have a tv/monitor Samsung T260HD that I use for tv viewing and my pc monitor..what it was designed to be used for and the built in speakers kind of suck. The only audio output from the monitor is in optical form. I don't care to have a receiver or 2.1+ system on my desk. I just need a nice set of 2.0 that has an optical input so I can quit listening to these horrible monitor speakers.

So,... does anyone have a solution?
 
I think the only other way would be to get a small preamp and powered monitor speakers.

I only gave the basic response because I didn't know how much you knew. I've seen multiple questions on this before and people buying an expensive soundcard when using a receiver and optical out from the soundcard.
 
The situation is that I have a tv/monitor Samsung T260HD ... The only audio output from the monitor is in optical form.

Dude your monitor has got a headphone jack. Just connect that up to any standard pc speakers you got lying around (1/8" stereo mini plug). Save some money and don't worry about optical :)

I know several people here would recommend the swan m10 set for around 100 bucks if you are in need of a quality set of 2.1's

Good Luck!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out Tommygun. I didn't even bother looking up his screen. Definitely just use the headphone jack. After that, it's a whole other discussion about which 2.0 speakers.

My vote is for the M-Audio AV40's or the Swan D1080MKII. Both are a little more than $100. The last time I checked, the best price on the AV40s was at provantage .
 
NNOOIICCEEE.... Hopefully using the headphone jack won't bork the sound too much. I'll try it! Thanks for the help gentlemen.
 
Back
Top