• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1x/2x compatible with 4x/8x

hAppy

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
624
Say I have a motherboard that only supports 1x/2x AGP, would 4x/8x AGP card work with that mobo? If so what would be it's disadvantage?
 
I think it would work but it would be limited to the boards speeds
I'm not at all certain
 
nope, from what I've read from others who have asked this it won't work. I think it has to do with the voltages or something.
 
It will work fine, the bandwidth will just be limited to the most the motherboard can have. I ran my 9800 pro on an nforce1 agp 2X for over a year : ] .
 
nope wont work, AGP 1x/2x works off of 3.3 volt, AGP 4x/8x( and the 4 8x PRO cards that i know of) work off 1.5 volt standerds. The easy way to tell if a mb can support 4x/8x is if the MB suports agp 3.0 standards by using a program like CPUZ and checking under mainboard.

If you can crack the case (s) like me my comps (i.e. dont own a prebuilt system with void stickers that will affect your warranty) you can just check the MB and look at the AGP card and tell by the nuber of nitches and were there located in the agp slot...
 
I was jsut curious, I was debating on whether to go PCI-E or stay w/ AGP, I guess I can't stick w/ my mobo if I want to play BF2. Thanks!
 
hAppy said:
I was jsut curious, I was debating on whether to go PCI-E or stay w/ AGP, I guess I can't stick w/ my mobo if I want to play BF2. Thanks!

If you are purchasing a new motherboard, I'd go with a new PCI-E rig, unless the following applies:

1. You own an nVIDIA 6800 ultra AGP.

or

2. You own an ATI X800XT PE or X850XT PE AGP.

If neither applies, then by all means, go PCI-E. Those two cards are great performers and will be so for another year, so if you'd already invested heavily into these two boards, I'd keep them for now. Other wise, go PCI-E young man, go PCI-E (I'm sure that this is what Horice E Greely would have said now that the West was won). I'd also recommend spending just a little more for an nForce4 SLI chipset based motherboard. You don't have to go SLI right out of the start, but can at any time latter without having to replace your motherboard again. There's also strong evidence that nForce4 SLI chipset based motherboards can also be used for a future ATI CrossFire setup if that's a possible desire.
 
I have an old gigabyte mobo with VIA Apollo chipset, AGP 2x.

6800GT worked fine in it and even pulled a 9k in 3d mark 03.

But in all seriousness, a card that powerful doesnt belong in such a weak system.
 
DermicSavage said:
I have an old gigabyte mobo with VIA Apollo chipset, AGP 2x.

6800GT worked fine in it and even pulled a 9k in 3d mark 03.

But in all seriousness, a card that powerful doesnt belong in such a weak system.

Commander X800 said:
nope wont work, AGP 1x/2x works off of 3.3 volt, AGP 4x/8x( and the 4 8x PRO cards that i know of) work off 1.5 volt standerds. The easy way to tell if a mb can support 4x/8x is if the MB suports agp 3.0 standards by using a program like CPUZ and checking under mainboard.

If you can crack the case (s) like me my comps (i.e. dont own a prebuilt system with void stickers that will affect your warranty) you can just check the MB and look at the AGP card and tell by the nuber of nitches and were there located in the agp slot...

The older boards would accept newer cards, however the newer motherboards won't accept the older 3.3v cards.

You will see performance loss with AGP 2x and a 6800GT or 6800Ultra, unless the system is highly overclocked, and the AGP bus isn't locked. AGP could be run at 75MHz without a problem on 440BX based boards. Don't know about VIA chipsets though.
 
wow thanks for the great info guys. I will just invest in a new mobo. I will need a ton of cash for a new setup however. Since I have a socket 478 CPU, and it's almost impossible to find a good mobo compatible w/ 478 and PCIe.
 
It might be the old agp version which was 3.3v which could burn up that card if it doesn't support 3.3v. Agp 3.0 is 1.5v.
 
DermicSavage said:
I have an old gigabyte mobo with VIA Apollo chipset, AGP 2x.

6800GT worked fine in it and even pulled a 9k in 3d mark 03.

If I'm not mistaken, the 6800GT is not a 4x/8x card, but actually supports 2x aswell.
Not all cards do (eg Radeon 9600 and 9800, although 9700 does).
As mentioned before, it has to do with the voltage of the different standards.
 
Get a PCIe board - they're better all around. Don't skimp on the brand, though...get a good mainboard if longevity is of great concern. If you're on a budget, don't graduate all the way up to a 939 socket. You're not going to be left in the dust with a 754 since 939 is purportedly the best we're going to see for quite some time.

For a video card, get a 6800GT. They're still fast, but also very affordable for the punch that they pack. With the 7800's selling like hotcakes and the OEMs buying them up to put in their premium machines, the 66/6800 family has done nothing but drop in price.

If your interest is BF2, get at LEAST 1Gig of ram (pc3200).
 
The 1x/2x mobo will do for the 4x/8x AGP video card. Be WARNED: Major bottlenecks. I have tired this once putting in a 9800XT into a older sony viao with only 4x AGP acc. and i got at least half the FPS I should have been getting if I would have been using a better CPU, mobo, and ram.
 
Thanks for the info. I have decided I will stick with this crappy setup I currently have until I pull some cash together. By the time I have enough fundings, the VGA and CPU should drop in price.

I'm looking into an Asus mobo, and an Athlon 64.
 
hAppy said:
Thanks for the info. I have decided I will stick with this crappy setup I currently have until I pull some cash together. By the time I have enough fundings, the VGA and CPU should drop in price.

I'm looking into an Asus mobo, and an Athlon 64.
I just got an MSI K8N Neo4-F for $85 (ZipZoomFly), an A64 Venice 3000+ Retail for $146(ZipZoomFly), and an eVGA GeForce 6600GT for $154 (Newegg). Prices may have fluctuated, but not really all that much, and I'm loving CouterStrike:Source with everything set high (no AA) without dipping below 60fps. Oh, I didn't list the RAM cuz I already have 2x256MB HyperX PC3200.

One thing to be VERY careful with, though, is that you have a good power supply. I've got an Antec TrueBlue 480 ver. 1 running mine without the 20-to-24 pin adapater, but a wimpy power supply will cry under the load.
 
Back
Top