1U server case for htpc

JonnyK

2[H]4U
I'm wanting to build a media center pc just to run xp, XBMC software, and stream 1080p video to my Tv through hdmi. I was thinking of using this case :

DYNAPOWER USA EJ-1U500(B)-C Black Coating Heavy Duty Cold Rolled Electroplated Steel 1U Rackmount Server Case

I have never used a rack style case like this before but it says it's compatible with a standard atx motherboard. So i was wondering if a normal motherboard, ram, processor, heatsink (slim?) would work fine in the thing or if i'm making a mistake. Here's the full build that I was contemplating.

ASUS P5QPL-VM EPU LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX

Athena Power AP-U1ATX40 1U 400W Server Power Supply - OEM

SILVERSTONE NT07-775 90mm CPU Cooler - Retail

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

PNY 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

The reason i'm wanting to build this is right now I'm using a Dell latitude D620 for this purpose and it has VGA out with a standard computer audio plug for stereo headphones going to my TV. It stutters once in a while while playing the high resolution video and I want HDMI out to get better video quality and real 5.1 sound. I also want to mount this up under the table that my TV sits on, or set it on the floor with my audio reciever and have it look decent. That's why i'm looking at the slim case instead of a fat little media pc case. Do you guys think this new setup would improve my performance, and would the stuff i picked fit into this rack case?

Thanks

Last edited:
Typically 1u case fans are extremely loud because they are so small they need to rotate at a very high speed to move any air.

I was just looking for something real thin like that. Would a 2u or something be better? Or would you say it's just not worth it to use a non-regular case like this

I have to agree with aaronearles, 1U cases are very loud b/c the fans are very small and therefore must spin at incredible speeds. I would also like to add that you will have to budget for extras like special 1u procressor fans and card adapter (card must be parallel to motherboard. I got a 1u case for free once and ran into these issues and eventually decided it was more hassle than it was worth. If you really must have a rackmount case you may want to look for something like a 4u or 5u which will accept standard parts, or you could buy any case you want and then you can get a rackmount shelf to place it on.

You'll have to get a low height fan for the CPU for sure. At most you'll get one add-on card and that's with a 90 degree slot adapter card. Also, for that Dynapower case you'll need to find a special PSU for it.

I have a couple of the Norco 2U cases, but the full depth versions not the shallow depth like FLECOM posted. 2U makes all the difference. In most cases you can use OEM CPU heatsinks as long as they're not too tall, most will fit a standard PSU also.

I really like the shallow depth version but you have to be careful that the "front" side of the MoBo you put in there doesn't interfere with the hard drive cages up front. Tall RAM can be a problem with those.

Lastly, if you have any intention of rackmounting a 1U you'll need a 4-post setup and rails. The ears on a 1U won't last long unless it's a shallow depth version and even those will bend. My 2U's are already drooping a little so I'll probably be getting rails for those.

Lastly, if you have any intention of rackmounting a 1U you'll need a 4-post setup and rails. The ears on a 1U won't last long unless it's a shallow depth version and even those will bend. My 2U's are already drooping a little so I'll probably be getting rails for those.

thats another reason i got the shallow depth version...

you can see it at the bottom of this pic

E5DD5246.jpg

Back