1u rackmount.. need help finding components.

muzzle79

Gawd
Ok so i picked up one of the Geeks.com Dual xeon Gt20 1u rackmounts for 69.99 new.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=B5350G20S2H-LC&cpc=SCH

I have a single xeon 604 3.06 533 cpu sitting here already (pulled from faulty system given to me (cpu is fine)

*the questions*
Will I even be able to use the cpu I have laying around?

If not where Can I pickup a a couple for a reasonable price, system pulls would be great.
I'm also looking for a good cheap place for some ecc ram.

I hate ebay though so preferably not there.

I'm toying around with throwing open solaris or esxi

yes it was an impulse buy... but hey what good is it being a nerd without toys?

ebay is your best bet, they 604's start at $5 buy it now there.

or you could try posting a WTB thread here on the forums.

eBay for sure. I bought 4 of the GX28's and picked up off of eBay 6 dual core Opty 265's for $45/shipped for the whole lot! All work great, just had to spend a freakin' hour straightening out pins.

I ordered a pair of the same processors that you have. Just waiting on the slim cdrom and memory to come in. Ebay/Craigslist are your best options.

I'm gonna give in and use ebay for the processors, maybe try and buy some ram off the forums here.

I hate ebay though, would rock for find something on craigslist..

Either way it should be a decent system to test out esxi server

Will the 3.06's work in that motherboard? According to Tyan they either won't or it's not supported:

http://tyan.com/archive/support/html/cpu_xeon_p4.html

Apparently, *some* socket 604 motherboards accept all 603 and 604 chips, but some only accept the 800MHz FSB (Nocona) Xeons. Let me know what you find out, I got the same thing from geeks.com and am waiting to pull the trigger on some very cheap 3.06's or if I have to scrounge the world for cheap Noconas

Will the 3.06's work in that motherboard? According to Tyan they either won't or it's not supported:

Yes, they will. I've been running them for the past 2 weeks on that system, 604 chips that is.

Yes, they will. I've been running them for the past 2 weeks on that system, 604 chips that is.

That's good info to know, hardly anywhere can you find that kind of information :)

However, for a long term server would it be more beneficial to just go the Nocona (800MHz FSB) route even if it is more expensive for the 64-bit architecture and ability to use more than 4GB of RAM?

However, for a long term server would it be more beneficial to just go the Nocona (800MHz FSB) route even if it is more expensive for the 64-bit architecture and ability to use more than 4GB of RAM?

Agreed.

Here is some additional information I have discovered over the past few days. All 604 xeons work with the S5350 using bios version 105. Upgrading to anything above it will only allow you to use noconas, ie 800fsb.

so, BIOS <= 105 will allow 533fsb operation? That is good to know.. I snagged a "spare" 3.2ghz 800fsb cpu, but I cannot use it for an extended time in this chassis. (I picked up the same one, the GT20)

so, BIOS <= 105 will allow 533fsb operation? That is good to know..

That is correct. All 10 of my boxes came with 105 so you shouldn't need to do anything.

I went and bought a matched pair 3.06's but then decided to get some Noconas instead. Anyone interested in buying mine offa me? :D

I went and bought a matched pair 3.06's but then decided to get some Noconas instead. Anyone interested in buying mine offa me?

Not me, but good choice on getting the Noconas. It's a much fast chip due to the 800fsb plus the x64 support doesn't hurt either.

My Tyan may have come with a post 105 BIOS as it's not starting up with my 3.06's, assuming they work. Guess I am waiting for my 3.6's to come in

Ok, that is the same as the pair that I bought. I have a 3.2ghz 800fsb xeon kicking around that I can use to downgrade the bios if necessary.. However, according to SIW, the unit I have already has a bios dated 6/22/05 (which is the day before the release of 105), so I am hopeful that the SL72G will work

SIW is System Information for Windows. It is a standalone app to get some detailed info about a computer. (my GT20 is sitting in a rack about 20miles away from me, and I am RDP'd into the system)

The GT20 does not do PC3200 ram, it only runs at 266mhz (PC2100) or 333mhz (PC2700). If you intend on using all 8 slots, it will only run at PC2100, 6 or less will function at PC2700

I actually have PC3200 in it at the moment, and it is only running at PC2700, as there are 4 modules (under the 6 module limit)

SIW is System Information for Windows. It is a standalone app to get some detailed info about a computer. (my GT20 is sitting in a rack about 20miles away from me, and I am RDP'd into the system)

The GT20 does not do PC3200 ram, it only runs at 266mhz (PC2100) or 333mhz (PC2700). If you intend on using all 8 slots, it will only run at PC2100, 6 or less will function at PC2700

I actually have PC3200 in it at the moment, and it is only running at PC2700, as there are 4 modules (under the 6 module limit)

Hmm, I assume then my 800MHz FSB Noconas won't be bogged down by slower RAM?

Its very snappy for me.. I have one 3.2g 800fsb cpu with 2gb of PC3200 running at PC2700, running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2007 Enterprise. It is significantly faster then the single Opteron 180 w/2gb of PC3200 Non-ECC that I was using before.

I suppose I could run some sort of benchmark on it....

Its very snappy for me.. I have one 3.2g 800fsb cpu with 2gb of PC3200 running at PC2700, running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2007 Enterprise. It is significantly faster then the single Opteron 180 w/2gb of PC3200 Non-ECC that I was using before.

I suppose I could run some sort of benchmark on it....

Are you running @ 800MHz FSB on that setup, or 533?

It does not have a 1:1 System Bus to Memory Bus ratio. It runs at 200 QDR between the CPU(s) and the northbridge, and 166 DDR between the northbridge and the memory.

fluke: Can you just confirm a few things for me? Since there is your report saying that 533 cpus work, and Dark Shade said that his did not. I would like to just get clarification that your board is the same.

According to SIW, this is the information I am getting from the unit I have:

Motherboard Model is "TYAN Transport GT20 S5350"
BIOS Version is "PTLTD - 6040000" with a date of "06/22/05"
It shows that I have an E7320 Northbridge

All of the documentation I can find about this specific chipset, says it only works in 800mhz fsb mode, and I will be pretty put out if I find that the SL72G's that I bought will not work...

My processors MAY work, what may not be working is the fact I was using non-ECC/Registered DDR at the time, and I'm not sure if there was some sort of incompatibility. The unit would power on, but I would get no BIOS beep codes nor did anything come on the screen, just sat there.

I should know for certain this week, since my 3.6 dual Noconas are coming in, I'll try them with the non-ECC RAM. Of course then that doesn't eliminate the possibility that these processors are bad, but I gotta start somewhere

Edit: Found a good deal on 4GB of ECC DDR2100, so I hope I don't need to do too much troubleshooting to get this thing up and running. MAN is it loud.

If you want to use non-ECC RAM, pick up an Asus PC-DL (for 533mhz FSB processors) or NCCH-DL (for 800mhz FSB processors) if you can find one.

fluke: Can you just confirm a few things for me? Since there is your report saying that 533 cpus work, and Dark Shade said that his did not. I would like to just get clarification that your board is the same.

According to SIW, this is the information I am getting from the unit I have:

Motherboard Model is "TYAN Transport GT20 S5350"
BIOS Version is "PTLTD - 6040000" with a date of "06/22/05"
It shows that I have an E7320 Northbridge

All those items are identical to what I have. Also check the label on the one and only pcix slot. Model should be S5350G2NR-1U

I'm using fully registered ecc pc2100 memory by Samsung. Model PC2100R-25331-N0 M312L2828ET0-CB0 These are double decker 1GB sticks.

The processors are just fine.
Every single Intel E7xxx chipset ABSOLUTELY UNEQUIVOCALLY REQUIRES ECC REGISTERED MEMORY. Why do you all keep trying to cheap out on this and then argue with the documentation about it?
The processors are not fine. According to Tyan it only supports 800fsb not the 533's some of us have been using. All the bullet points in their tech documentation say it "supports". No where does it say that it won't accept. So why can't people try and post their results for everyone to read?

That's what I get from the reading, "Supports" just means it allows the operation of it, now if it said REQUIRES ECC that's a whole different matter. Intel's website is worthless when it comes to finding this information as I've been searching for rock solid answers to these questions for a week now. I'll find out soon I suppose.

Edit: Just got my dual Noconas in the mail. Still not getting any BIOS beep codes even with absent RAM slots. What else can I do? I can try resetting the CMOS.

Edit: Just got my dual Noconas in the mail. Still not getting any BIOS beep codes even with absent RAM slots. What else can I do? I can try resetting the CMOS.

It should beep without the memory installed. Do you have only one proc installed? Have you tried the other one in single configuration?

It should beep without the memory installed. Do you have only one proc installed? Have you tried the other one in single configuration?

No beeps no matter what config I put it in.

CPU in 1st socket, no RAM
CPU in 1st socket, one stick
CPU in 2nd socket, no RAM
CPU in 2nd socket, one stick

Remember this is non-ECC/registered RAM, so I doubt they would work even if the board would post, just being thorough. Tried 6 different sticks of varying speeds (PC2100 - PC3200)

Sticks of RAM in all different slots (I know DIMM4 is where they should be, but just to be thorough)

I don't have another power supply with an EPS12V 8-pin so I can't test that. I may have a motherboard that I can plug this PSU into and see if it POSTS. The PSU is Delta branded, 500W.

I also plugged in a working speaker to the speaker jumpers just in case the pieztoelectric buzzer was bad. No beeps.

Unplugged the fans at the headers (momentarily, long enough to realize the buzzer isn't working) I applied AS5 to the processors and heatsinks after scraping off the pad, so there's excellent contact (suctioning when prying off)

I called Tyan tech support, the guy Kevin there said that my BIOS may have to be flashed to 107 or whatever the latest is, because the processors I have (3.6GHz Nocona SL7PH Matched Pair) are the 'very highest' processor the board can handle and the 105 BIOS may not support them. Fluke, you said your 3.06/533's were working fine, right? If that's so, if I plug my 3.06's in and it doesn't boot, that would mean the BIOS isn't necessarily bad. I really don't want to RMA the whole thing but I may not have a choice.

RMAing a Tyan board is exclusively the realm of fools. Pay money to get a multiple time QC reject in return. And that's if they even bother to go to that much trouble, usually it's a failed board that passes a quick POST.

Not surprising that they're claiming BIOS though, and it's probably true. Their BIOSes jumped off a cliff a while back, if you aren't running the absolute latest, you absolutely should be. Regardless of board. Real quality products, Tyan, lemme tell you. </Sarcasm>

Fluke, you said your 3.06/533's were working fine, right? If that's so, if I plug my 3.06's in and it doesn't boot, that would mean the BIOS isn't necessarily bad. I really don't want to RMA the whole thing but I may not have a choice.

Yes, it does. Put in a single 306 without memory and see what happens. Beeps = good. Nothing would be bad.

And if you have to rma.. rma just the board. dont listen to the fool above, he's had nothing good to contribute to this thread.

I put in both, and one in each socket at a time, no beeps. I think the whole board is bad at this point.

Yes, it does. Put in a single 306 without memory and see what happens. Beeps = good. Nothing would be bad.

And if you have to rma.. rma just the board. dont listen to the fool above, he's had nothing good to contribute to this thread.

Hey fluke, how many Tyan boards have you sold? How many have you had fail on you? What's that? None? And you don't know how Tyan got their Intel cert revoked on a board by Intel's Revenue Protection Department? (Search here, we discussed it and yukked it up.)

But go ahead, piss your money away on Tyan's lies. I'm sure they'll be glad to give you the usual service, shipping you back a board with an old BIOS. Ain't no skin off my back if you don't know good advice when it smacks you with a brick.

Back