1TB Deals for $79 and $69 shipped

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
Newegg.ca has the 1TB Green for $89.99 Canadian, free shipping. Ordered one, total came out to $102. (7% PST). Kinda sucks, I just got another of the same drive from NCIX a couple of weeks ago for $124 total.

Sonofabitch! Amazing deal! I hope Amazon sees Newegg's price and drops theirs to $80.

Heads up. The WD10EADS has a free combo with SATA cables.

2 x ($79.99) HD 1T|WD 32M WD10EADS % - OEM
$159.98

2 x ($4.99) CABLE NIPPON|SATA-L0.5-R R - Retail
$9.98

2 x ($-6.99) DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #175855
$-13.98

This comes out to $155.98 instead of $159.98. Score!

I just went with the WD1TB Green. My oldie IDE 500GB was starting to click so I really didnt have a choice. If I lose all of my Married with Children episodes I'll kill myself. :(

That 7K1000.B is a great deal. Too bad I just ordered two 1TB WD Caviar Blacks :p

Wow sexy deal, I think it's time to refresh my backup hardware.

This is a newer 3 platter Hitachi, and it has overall very positive reviews. I think mine should ship out today ...

Be the first time I buy drives from ZZF. I would rather have the WD greens for my HTPC, but I don't think I'm going to order HD's from Newegg anymore. Too much crappy packaging with popped/flattened bubble wrap from drops. Bubble wrap = "teh suck."

The WD 1TB greens are the same price at ZZF as they are at Newegg.

I'm tempted to get the Hitachi 1 TB HDD, but may hold out for a similar ($ per GB) deal on a 1.5 TB version.

The WD 1TB greens are the same price at ZZF as they are at Newegg.

I knew that'd happen eventually today. They're actually $0.40 cheaper.

On the other hand, I'm getting two free SATA cables which somehow knocked down the price of two drives to $155.98. That means the hard drives are $77.99/ea. :D

If only the WD Greens didn't run between 5400-7200rpm...I would be in for one faster than you could say [H]ot Deal! Is there any way to get them to run at a constant 7200 rpm on access and pretty much get rid of the 5400 rpm rate?

If only the WD Greens didn't run between 5400-7200rpm...I would be in for one faster than you could say [H]ot Deal! Is there any way to get them to run at a constant 7200 rpm on access and pretty much get rid of the 5400 rpm rate?

You need to go black.

Thanks OP, went with the Hitachi, time for another round of backups.

Anybody use Acronis True Image? Great program!

They're drives meant for different purposes. The greens are meant to be quite, cool, extremely reliable, and energy efficient. They are perfect for HTPC's and large file backups. Even though spinning slower, sustained transfer rates are actually pretty decent and definitely usable, but for random read/writes and seek times, such as what an OS or editing software might need. When copying that 8GB MKV file, it can spin up to 7200 and stay there for the entire copy process, but this benefit is negated for the small files and random accesses.

That's why they make two different drives, and even though the cost difference to them might be slight, they can always charge more for the performance part, because the enthusiast or editor who demands that performance is generally willing to pay more to get it.

Plus, the green drives are also designed to fit people's budgets and be both cost-effective to produce as well as economical for consumers to buy.

Note that with green you only get 3 years warranty, whereas you get 5 with black edition drives, even OEM bare drives. The black editions also carry twice the cache and a second processor, adding to the cost. Those factors should reasonable increase the price of the drive. Will you benefit from them? Sounds to me like you would. As mentioned above by another member, the black drive will run at 7200 always, just for you! :D

Some situations will be much better suited to the quieter, cooler and more energy efficient drives.

I knew about the differences between the Green and the Blacks, but I didn't know about the cache and processor. Good info there, thanks.

Why are the WD Greens so popular? The Samsungs F1 1TBs 16MBS are at the same price, and from what I am seeing they are faster. Should I get a F1 or a green?

Why are the WD Greens so popular? The Samsungs F1 1TBs 16MBS are at the same price, and from what I am seeing they are faster. Should I get a F1 or a green?

Because they are cheap, and many people buying them are not using them for a primary drive. They are quiet, cool... aw hell. Read SirKronan's post, above...

Mwave has those Hitachi drives for $75. If you still have the leftover $20 off coupon from them it is a really good deal. I had two $20 off coupons and bought two of them.

2TB's for $120 shipped isn't bad.

I might jump on a couple more of the Hitachi's. I am looking to get a Raid sub-system anyway. SO the more drives the better. WOoot!

Because they are cheap, and many people buying them are not using them for a primary drive. They are quiet, cool... aw hell. Read SirKronan's post, above...

I see, lol, I went ahead with another F1 1TB in my system. $80 shipped

Mwave has those Hitachi drives for $75. If you still have the leftover $20 off coupon from them it is a really good deal. I had two $20 off coupons and bought two of them.

2TB's for $120 shipped isn't bad.

I might jump on a couple more of the Hitachi's. I am looking to get a Raid sub-system anyway. SO the more drives the better. WOoot!

With the Hitachi deal and coupon code at ZZF priced at $69.99, I decided to bite.

During the checkout process they offered me to try the new eBillMe now as a payment method.

[.BONUS.] ---> if you purchase $100+ and use the eBillMe, they give you a $30 rebate

2 x 1TB @ 69.99 = 139.98 - 30.00 + f/s = 2TBs for 109.98 :D so I bit for two, natch!

With the Hitachi deal and coupon code at ZZF priced at $69.99, I decided to bite.

During the checkout process they offered me to try the new eBillMe now as a payment method.

[.BONUS.] ---> if you purchase $100+ and use the eBillMe, they give you a $30 rebate

2 x 1TB @ 69.99 = 139.98 - 30.00 + f/s = 2TBs for 109.98 :D so I bit for two, natch!
Hot damn, that's a nice deal when you consider that just a few months ago we were looking at that price for ONE drive!

Ohhhhhh, that's awesome. In for 2 more. Sweet!!!!

My system storage just doubled and I only had to spend $230. 4TB of storage for under $250 is awesome. Now I just need to find enough space in my case for all these drives. DOH!

ncixus has the wd 1tb black for $86 if anyone is interested, shipping is kind of expensive though, but theres no tax.

They're drives meant for different purposes. The greens are meant to be quite, cool, extremely reliable, and energy efficient. They are perfect for HTPC's and large file backups. Even though spinning slower, sustained transfer rates are actually pretty decent and definitely usable, but for random read/writes and seek times, such as what an OS or editing software might need. When copying that 8GB MKV file, it can spin up to 7200 and stay there for the entire copy process, but this benefit is negated for the small files and random accesses.

That's why they make two different drives, and even though the cost difference to them might be slight, they can always charge more for the performance part, because the enthusiast or editor who demands that performance is generally willing to pay more to get it.

Plus, the green drives are also designed to fit people's budgets and be both cost-effective to produce as well as economical for consumers to buy.

Note that with green you only get 3 years warranty, whereas you get 5 with black edition drives, even OEM bare drives. The black editions also carry twice the cache and a second processor, adding to the cost. Those factors should reasonable increase the price of the drive. Will you benefit from them? Sounds to me like you would. As mentioned above by another member, the black drive will run at 7200 always, just for you! :D

Some situations will be much better suited to the quieter, cooler and more energy efficient drives.

I think that's a rather good evaluation and comparison between the two. I have 2 of the WD10EADS green drives myself and am quite happy. Speeds are certainly fast enough for me since I don't use them for extremely large file transfers...mainly just to store all of my music / photo media. ;)

Back