1T or 2T?

Burton560

Gawd
I have a problem, as of now I have 2X1gb 1066mhz sticks of OCZ platnium edition. Now I'm not gonna deny the fact that this is a really good deal. These sticks are identical to the ones I have now, except they have a black heatspreader. The ram I have now is 1T timings (filling 2 ram slots in dual channel), but if I buy these extra sticks then all my ram slots will be full, and then all my ram will be at 2tm timings. So would it be better to have the 2gb in 1T or 4gb in 2T?

Obviously, 4Gb is better than 2. But, keep in mind that 2T is gonna nearly double your latency. There is no way you can force 1T in the bios? I was able to get away with 4sticks on a dual channel board at 1T. It may or may not be stable but I think you should at least try.

Best solution is to sell those 4 sticks and get a matched pair of 2Gb sticks.

1t, with 4 sticks of 1 gig it isn't going to happen folks. 4gig is a big strain on the northbridge chipset already. Not to mention you are running overclocked ram ic's aready but noy you want to squeeze 1t out of it..............................

Good Day

Obviously, 4Gb is better than 2. But, keep in mind that 2T is gonna nearly double your latency..
This is not accurate. You can ONLY identify the difference between 1T and 2T using benchmarks and you'll never see it in real world usage. Memory bandwidth and latencies are barely affected at all when running 2T. It's less than 5% even in memory intensive applications.

However, for various reasons, 2 x 2GB is a better option over 4 x 1GB.

wow.. even using ddr2's and ur able to force 1T on em? that's not bad. but yes, when using all 4 dimms its impossible as of now, to force 1T because the load is just too heavy on the NB, in another sense, making em slower/higher latency is what giving the NB a break in maintaing stability.

I am wondering if I were to upgrade to 2 2GB sticks (have 4 1Gb sticks right now) if it will cause any problems with XP ? My 4GB currently show up as 3.5GB which I am fine with, I just want to make sure 2 2GB sticks would work as well in XP.

Slight hijack here simmonz but no if you already have 4 1gb sticks upgrading to 2 2gb sticks is unwarranted and a waste IMO. Its doubtful you would be able to change your timings enough to increase performance [as aforementioned less than 5% at most] to justify the expense.

No, it won't cause any issues and should run well and XP will see the same amount either way. If you are not having issues, as noted by Gonzo, this is not an upgrade worth doing really unless you have another use for the 4 x 1GB. But, DDR2 is so cheap, it is not an extravagant upgrade if you do want to try to eek out that last bit of performance.

This is not accurate. You can ONLY identify the difference between 1T and 2T using benchmarks and you'll never see it in real world usage. Memory bandwidth and latencies are barely affected at all when running 2T. It's less than 5% even in memory intensive applications.

Well put Mike! I agree completely.

Yea, and I never said he would be able to tell the difference. The fact is it will double your memory latency. Luckily, at DDR2 speed you wouldn't notice much of a difference. The advice I gave is still accurate. There is no need to be a ball buster. ;)

Yea, and I never said he would be able to tell the difference. The fact is it will double your memory latency. Luckily, at DDR2 speed you wouldn't notice much of a difference. The advice I gave is still accurate. There is no need to be a ball buster. ;)

No you won't 1T / 2T is the time it takes for the northbridge to set up and send the memory the next command. In the grand scheme of things, memory transactions take 15T to 50T to complete. add one tick is hardly doubling latency.

I was not busting your balls. ;)

But, your statement is vague and unless I read it wrong, inaccurate. Are you talking about doubling a specific latency or the overall latency shown by a program such as Everest? Either way, all you are changing is 1 transaction time as Ryan_975 noted. It's 1 clock, and not a doubling of anything.

Back