1st WC setup checklist & questions

Promii

Weaksauce
After considering it several times in the past, I’ve finally committed myself to setting up a WC system. What I’m looking for is feedback on my selection of parts and verification that I haven’t overlooked anything.

---Components to be cooled---
C2Q Q6600
X38 NB on Asus Maximus Formula
4870X2

---WC parts shopping list---
Swiftech MCP-655 Pump
Thermochill Pa 120.3 Rad
D-Tek Fuzion v2 CPU Block
DD 4870X2 Full Cover GPU Block
Swiftech MCW-30 Chipset Block

Additionally I’m going to be getting a Silverstone Temjin TJ07B-W case because my NZXT Lexa is pretty cramped as it is and the Temjin is on sale at NCIX right now :D

I think I may be cutting it close with just the 120.3. Should I add another rad to the loop? What about a quad 120? I understand they can be made to fit in this case with minor modding.
What difference does the size of the reservoir make? I will likely get one of the EK ones but I haven’t seen anyone mention the size making any difference.
Lastly, the Maximus Formula has a NB/SB/MOSFET heatpipe cooler assembly like a lot of boards, so when I remove that and stick a block on the NB, am I going to need new sinks for the SB and mosfets or is the some way of only removing the NB portion of the stock cooler?

Your list looks good and the 120.3 should fit with minor modding. I don't think you need a larger radiator. Just get some good fans with good static pressure.

You might also want to reconsider the pump. It is definitely an awesome pump but depending on your case, routing the tubing can be difficult with the 655 as it is a rather large pump. I'm also not a fan of the placement of the barbs. I have been looking at the 350 but it isn't as powerful and i don't really have the money right now.

Should be lots of room for the 655 in the TJ07. I wanted to go with a beefy pump for future-proofing in case I build a Tri-SLI monstrosity or some such that requires it.

edit:
Also considering 2x Swifty MCW60s instead of the full cover block for my X2. I've seen it done before and would cost less while possibly being compatible with future cards as well. Just a bit concerned that the VRMs might not get enough cooling.

Then the 665 is the pump to go. I highly recommend the full coverage block. The temps are great (around 34 idle) and the VRM get VERY hot. Not only that but it looks better and having so many blocks could get hard when routing.

I think cooling the NB is a waste though.. but thats just me.
I'm OCing my Q6600 on the rampage @ 3.6Ghz cooling only GPUs and CPU.

I went with the full cover block on my 4870X2 because those VRMs do get so extremely hot and I'd heard stories of some 4800 cards failing with after market cooling because the VRM's were poorly cooled.

NCIX has the XSPC 4870X2 blocks in now and they're the cheapest of the lot and look pretty good as well. I think I will go with one of them over the DD one since I have not heard anything negative about them.

As for not cooling the NB; My X38 NB can get over 50C at stock voltage, which has me somewhat concerned. I supposed I could try just applying new TIM, as I have heard that the stock asus material/application is pretty bad.

Might switch to a MCR320 rad as it's actually available and much cheaper for not much worse performance than the Thermochill. Also considering adding a double rad in addition or going to a quad, though I only see the Black Ice GTX quad at NCIX. How do they compare to Swiftech/Thermochill/Feser? Also considering the GTZ block over the Fuzion v2 if only because it looks nicer.

Updated list:

Swiftech MCP-655 Pump
Swiftech MCR-320 Rad (possibly additional MCR-220 -OR- Black Ice GTX 480)
D-Tek Fuzion v2 CPU Block (or Swiftech Apogee GTZ)
XSPC 4870X2 Full Cover GPU Block
Swiftech MCW-30 Chipset Block (maybe)
EK Multioption Res (100 or 250)
Masterkleer 7/16" tubing
DD 1/2" High Flow Barbs
Swiftech Hose Clamps
Feser One UV Fluid Pink ;)

Missing anything?

Edit: Missing fans, heh. Probably Scythe S-FLEXes.

That should be a great setup.
You may want to get some fan gel mounts from petra's.
If you're going to install on the bottom of the tj-07 you'll have to mount the fans to something on the bottom. I haven't done it myself. but there are plenty who have had.

Thermochill is the "best" for cooling with slower speed fans, at 1300-1500 rpms the black ice series will over take them. Also the mcr320 is the value leader, not to mention that you can get two for the price of one. The gtx 480 will beat them all, and the feser 480 will do one better.

should be a great build :)

nes

So I understand that loop order doesn't matter a great deal so long as the res is before the pump. Most setups I see have the CPU as the first block but with the pump in the bottom front of the case below the res that will be mounted just behind the drive bays, it seems like I would use less tubing if I went GPU first. So it would look something like:

Res -> Pump -> Triple Rad (bottom of the case) -> 4870X2 -> Q6600 -> Double Rad (top of the case) -> Res
Crappy Diagram Here

I suppose putting the double rad between the GPU and CPU blocks wouldn't involve much more tubing, but I have heard that it doesn't matter much.

Your selection looks good. I went with the XSPC 4870x2 block myself and they are made of excellent quality. My idle temps are around 21-27c depending on ambient temps...and 31-35c after an hour in Crysis. I'm sure the DD block will be just as good. Apogee GTZ
is a breeze to install as well.

As for the size of the reservoir...the bigger the better IMO. For one, a bigger reservoir
means you won't have to refill it as frequently. Also I think with a bigger reservoir, it makes
it a lot easier/quicker to bleed the system.I would recommend an EK 250mL rev. 2 reservoir.

I think cooling the NB is a waste though.. but thats just me.
I'm OCing my Q6600 on the rampage @ 3.6Ghz cooling only GPUs and CPU.

Same here. I notice that anything past 3.6 though I have to up the volts quite a bit and the NB temps get very hot.

Got my rig all set up now. Had a minor leak in when testing from insufficiently tighten fittings on my GTZ but it's all working well now. Went with a Feser 480 in the end so my setup is extremely similar to CaptainSoble's.
I have some questions about stress testing and temps now. My Q6600s always been a bit on the hot side and with my TRUE I had load temps (Prime95 Blend test) reaching 70C at 3.5ghz and 1.4125v. With the GTZ and the Feser 480 at the same settings I'm getting 55C, but I'm wondering if I should run Furmark at the same time since the GPU shares the same loop (GPU temps are fantastic by the way, 40C drop from the stock cooler at idle and load).

Nice set up and temps. Would be nice to see some pics of your build.
I think running Crysis or Crysis Warhead for a couple of hours and recording your CPU and GPU temps
is good enough. There isn't a game out there that is going to 100% stress your CPU like prime 95 any way.
Would be interesting to see what numbers you come up with though running both benches at the same
time.

Back