• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1st time Overclocking, Are these numbers safe?!?

st0ne

n00b
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
34
Hey Folks -
I'm a first time over clocker. I've never done it before, but i just built a new system with overclocking in mind. Its a core i7 920 on an ASUS p6t Deluxe, 6GB of ocz ram system. I'm not sure if you need anything specific as far as system specs go, because i just want to know if these numbers are safe. I followed an over-clocking guide on bit-tech. I just lowered the numbers a tad because i'm "scared" i'd mess something up being my 1st time.

Numbers:
CPU Ratio: 20
BCLK: 190
DRAM Freq: DDR3 - 1523 MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.30
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.90
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.3
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800MV

CPU Temp (Under Full load) 58c
GPU Temp (GT280) 84c

I played crysis warhead at 1680x1050 at max settings with 4xaa for about 30 minutes and noticed absolutely no trouble. My pc starts up much faster, the sidebar gadgets load faster, and the computer seems much zippier now. I'm successfully running at 3.8 GHZ, on air, which i'm very happy about.

I just want to know if those temperature and overclocking numbers are pretty safe for me. I'm not sure what temps are "normal" when overclocking.

oqcf8j.gif


---edit---
I got a BSoD while playing crysis warhead after 30 some minutes of playing. I didnt' write down the exact message, but it was something about a cpu core not receiving the timing expected. I went into the BIOS and cranked up the voltages a bit to more mirror what bit-tech guide had put.

CPU volt: 1.35
CPU PLL: 1.96
QPI/DRAM volt: 1.35

Everything else was left the same. I ran Prime 95 for about 30 minutes and received no errors or crashes. The temp of the CPU was 91C under full load. While i play crysis, its about 60C

Just want to make sure i'm not going to screw anything up at these extreme temperatures.
 
What heatsink are you using? If you are using the stock cooler then I would suggest getting an aftermarket cooler because the one that Intel ships really isn't meant for super high overclocks.
 
60C is perfectly fine.. has it crashed since you raised the voltage?
 
Nope -
Since i've raised the voltage i've ran prime95 for a little over 30 minutes with no errors, and i've been playing crysis warhead for about an hour or so with absolutely no issues. I guess raising the voltage was all that was needed.

If i continue to have any issues i'll update this thread.
 
Nope -
Since i've raised the voltage i've ran prime95 for a little over 30 minutes with no errors, and i've been playing crysis warhead for about an hour or so with absolutely no issues. I guess raising the voltage was all that was needed.

If i continue to have any issues i'll update this thread.

Good that you have it running but i would let prime run for atleast 6 hours just to make sure.
 
Good that you have it running but i would let prime run for atleast 6 hours just to make sure.

sounds good. I'll do that in a couple days when i have off work, else i'd have to let it run for 12 hours or so without supervision.
 
sounds good. I'll do that in a couple days when i have off work, else i'd have to let it run for 12 hours or so without supervision.

Like Ron Popiel, just set it and forget it. Do you plan on watching it for the entire 12 hours? That's like watching grass grow. I'd just turn P95 on before leaving for work. If it dies you'll see exactly when a core failed by the time stamp. And if it BSOD's and reboots, well, then it's totally unstable and you're back to square one. Wash, rinse, repeat.
 
Back
Top