1st post on [H]Forums ... need OC advice!

Phrostbit

n00b
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
16
I've been lurking for a few weeks here, picking up what I can and brushing up on my OC grimoire for my newest build (see my sig).

Just have a couple of questions that I couldn't find direct answers to elsewhere in the forums:

I've got my FSB at 240Mhz right now X10 for my CPU. My HTT mult. is at 4 currently for a HTT of 960. This is 40Mhz below the rated HTT for this board, is it hurting anything? From what I've read you can't go much above 1100Mhz for HTT, hence my x4 mult.

My G.Skill PC4000 DDR500Mhz kit is rated at 3-4-4-8, and I can't seem to get it stable at anything under that (i.e. lowering cas to 2.5 or 2 or middle two numbers). Memory bus is running at 480Mhz, which I've read needs looser timings, is this why?

Stability wise I'm somewhat confused. It will run 3DMark2005 demo in 4AA 24/7 and not crash. in Super-Pi I can calculate up to 8M without problem, but anything above causes the whole program to crash within the 1st or 2nd iteration. On the other hand, I also have Prime95 and it will run for nearly 6 hours before getting a "rounding error". Usually .05 and expected .04 or less. And then while gaming (UT2004, Doom3, Quake4, The Bard's Tale) it's absolutely flawless and never crashes. Should I reduce my OC in order to get a better stability score in Prime95/SuperPi, or should I call it good?

On 3dMark2005 I'm scoring just shy of 7000 with no AA. About 5300 with 4AA turned on.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks,

--Phrostbit
 
Phrostbit said:
I've been lurking for a few weeks here, picking up what I can and brushing up on my OC grimoire for my newest build (see my sig).

Just have a couple of questions that I couldn't find direct answers to elsewhere in the forums:

I've got my FSB at 240Mhz right now X10 for my CPU. My HTT mult. is at 4 currently for a HTT of 960. This is 40Mhz below the rated HTT for this board, is it hurting anything? From what I've read you can't go much above 1100Mhz for HTT, hence my x4 mult.

no you will not see any slow down form running a tad slow HTT


and more system infor is needed?

voltage on memory and CPU? Cooling? temps?
 
I(illa Bee said:
no you will not see any slow down form running a tad slow HTT

and more system infor is needed?

voltage on memory and CPU? Cooling? temps?

Voltage is as follows:

CPU: 1.450v set in BIOS, shows up between 1.472v and 1.52v in CPU-Z
RAM: 2.7v set in BIOS (G.Skill rated between 2.6 and 2.8, so I chose the happy medium).
Mobo and Chipset: 1.6v and 1.25 (higher of the options on a Asus A8N-SLI Prem)

Cooling solutions are noted in my sig for my CPU and GPU(s).
PSU has (2) 80mm fans one pulling from above CPU and other is normal exhaust
120mm Case exhaust fan
80mm side window intake fan
80mm front bezel intake fan
80mm lower right side intake fan for HDD(s)

Temps:

CPU: Idle=39-40c Load=60c
Mobo: Idle=37-39c Load=44c
GPU(s): Idle=46-47c Load= 53c

Temps were taken with two Firefox browsers open, Prime95 running at full, and UT2004 game going at the same time.

That help my cause any?

Thanks,

--Phrostbit
 
Back
Top