1st Intel build from AMD

dmnddave

n00b
So I want to try to find some BF deals to build my first Intel gaming rig.
My system now:
AMD FX 8370
R9 290x
MSI 990FX Gaming mobo
16GB G.Skil DDR3 1866
Intel 750 series PCIe 400GB SSD
Thermaltake Element case w/Antec 650w PSU

My desire is to not bottleneck anything by going PCIe Gen3 for GPU and SSD but still keep my wallet from imploding. Best case I only buy a CPU and mobo, worst case would add DDR4.

Should I be looking at a Skylake and bite the bullet on DDR4?
Or Haswell e?

Most likely I would not build new again for4 at least 3-5 years.

Suggestions?

If you want to keep things wallet friendly I would look to build an intel Z97 based platform with an i7 4790K. it will allow to reuse your RAM and everything else offering a substantial upgrade over your current platform.. have you set any budget in mind? this will help a lot to choose an adequate platform for you.

If your interested, I am about to move to X99 next week. I will have a 4790k, Asus Z97-WS (awesome board with gen3 plx chips allowing full use of PCIe lanes for multi gpu, and can have x2 m.2), Plextor m6e M.2, and 4 x 8GB Corsair vengeance (gold to match MB) that will be available.

If you want this build to last a long time then go skylake all the way and don't cheap out on the motherboard.

save up your money and go all the way to x99.....is what i would do

Hey there, congrats! Good news is there should be some excellent deals over the next month or so as people upgrade.

Z97 board and a 4790K would be a simple upgrade, just move everything over.

Skylake is not a bad choice either. If you don't mind factoring in DDR4 as well, it's probably the better long-term choice.

X99 if you do a ton of rendering or video work that will actually use the additional cores. Or if you just want to stroke your e-peen.

Can't beat a 4790k right now, are you near a microcenter? 250 there, or newegg has them for 299 w/ Just Cause 3. Will last quite a while.

Back