1st Graphics overclock

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
2FA
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
2,205
I have a Nvidia FX 5500. I know, I know its old and not the best card, but I have a new rig in the works with a 7800GT so it will soon be replaced. However in the meantime I wanted to see if i could squeeze any extra power out of my FX5500. So I downloaded Coolbits and just did the detect optimal settings and it came up with a 20 Mhz increase in clock speed (270 to 290) and a 43 Mhz increase in memory speed (400 to 443). This only resulted in a 300 point increase in 3DMark01. I was wondering if there is anyway I can find out how hot the GPU is rumming? Or is this card to old to have a temp monitor? Just wanted to see how hot the GPU was running so i could maybe clock it a bit higher. thanks
 
I had a FX 5500, and as with any card most likely lacking a temp monitor, the only real way to find out of its running is to keep on the looking for artifacts and other possible gliching. I really didn't think it was bad until I upgraded to a 6800 GT last march and then... pow! Anyway any sort of extra boost you can give the card would help, so experiment with the different clock settings to find a sweetspot of stability and performance.
 
what are artifacts?

After overclocking if I run it through 3DMark is that about as good of a way as any to check for stability?
 
metallicafan said:
what are artifacts?

After overclocking if I run it through 3DMark is that about as good of a way as any to check for stability?

yes and besure to look for artifacing in the videos
 
without getting two technical artifacts are caused when a peice of hardware is run so far out of spec that it actually cant perform its normal actions without errors. The errors show up as artifacts. Memory artifacts can come up as a rainbow coating over things, a scrambling look such as a tv trying to get a signal, or lines in perfect order across the screen.

GPU artifacts will usually be peices of screen blinking in and out or smaller visual anomaly such as something that looks like black snow. It may also simply lock up the computer.

giving more voltage to the parts of the card, such as memory or core, as well as cooling such as water, TEC (thermal electric cooling) or phase change, or even an aftermarket fan can increase the threshold before the card starts to create errors which will show up as artifacts.
 
Back
Top