Hi folks im building my 1st ESXi home lab. I need some advice on building the pc specs and apologise if the information posted here is vague.My idea behind doing this to learn about vmware, exchange server, 2012/16 AD and group policy.I work in a 2008 environment and would like to learn about these
I have modified my existing desktop to run esxi 6 on it. Fitted additional intel dual port lan, samsung ssd and 16 gb ddr3 ram. Setup 2012 AD and win7/10 clients in it. To run VCSA i need 8 GB RAM allocated to it. To take it to the next level i have decided to invest on my 2nd host. Budget is $ 800. I dont want to invest in a power consuming used server and would ideally like to go in for the new i7 6thgen skylake processor, mini atx mothertboard, ddr4 32 gb, mini atx case type. In the due course i would like to learn about shared storage, vmotion and iscsi. So buying a nas has becomes inevitable
Am i doing the right thing in building the 2nd host or is a prebuild pc better. I have taken too long on decing the build and could not make up my mind. Someone experienced in this area can guide me. Thanks
I have modified my existing desktop to run esxi 6 on it. Fitted additional intel dual port lan, samsung ssd and 16 gb ddr3 ram. Setup 2012 AD and win7/10 clients in it. To run VCSA i need 8 GB RAM allocated to it. To take it to the next level i have decided to invest on my 2nd host. Budget is $ 800. I dont want to invest in a power consuming used server and would ideally like to go in for the new i7 6thgen skylake processor, mini atx mothertboard, ddr4 32 gb, mini atx case type. In the due course i would like to learn about shared storage, vmotion and iscsi. So buying a nas has becomes inevitable
Am i doing the right thing in building the 2nd host or is a prebuild pc better. I have taken too long on decing the build and could not make up my mind. Someone experienced in this area can guide me. Thanks