• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1st computer, need approval from you guys!

lingding

n00b
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
41
Hey guys. I've finally decided the parts I want for a new computer. Please give me your feedback on these parts and tell me what you think.

- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
- LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model
- XFX PVT70FUND7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
- ( 2x) Western Digital Raptor 74GB 3.5" Serial ATA150
- Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
- 2 Sticks of 1gig Kingston memory
- Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
- Antec Performance I P-160WF Silver 1.2mm Anodized Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I don't think I missed anything. But tell me what you guys think about this setup, not sure if the power supply is good or if the case will fit the mother board if you guys know tell me. Alright thanks a lot guys.
 
Everything seems pretty right, and I almost guarantee the mobo will fit that case. The only thing is you might want a big hard drive for storage down the line, unless you don't need it then otherwise nevermind. Otherwise seems like a good pc.
 
Do you really need a AMD Athlon 64 FX57? That is alot of money. I think you could save some money and get a X2 3800+

Y 2 Raptors? are you going for raid? There are drives out now that are testing faster then the Raptors IIRC. If you are going for raid it doesn"t really help much for peformance i wouldgo for a small speedy os drive and then a big storage drive

and do you need @ gigs of ram? i guess ur are a gamer and if so keep it otherwise i don"t see the need as of yet

but that is just me
 
Yea sorry didn't put that this will be a total game machine. I'm not going to do raid so would it be worth it to get two raptors? OR one and one big drive? As for the fx 57 ive been saving for some time now so this is definitly the processor I want to get, unless you knwo of anything better?
 
If it was me I would get dual cores. This would help with multi tasking say encoding a movie and playing a game. alt tabbing out to check your mail or something. But I don't know this for 100% sure b/c I don't game much and i don't own either of the chips so this is all off of what I have read. Might want to ask around in AMD forum about that

as for harddrive read up on it
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200512/WD740GD-00FLC0_4.html

I would get just one raptor and then a big storage drive. The big drive can be slower it willn't matter but It will give you alot of room to store stuff and a place to backup your main drive if need be.

Also what kind of cooling are you looking for? does the case come with it? You want to make sure you can keep that chip cool so you might want to lookinto that.


 
Oh crap, yea I forgot to put that in my first post. I don't want to do any liquid cooling, what would you recommend for cooling Duster? I've also heard things about the Asus motherboard cooler, that it always dies? I'm not sure, but on Newegg and some people on these forums have been saying to buy a different chipset cooler, not sure what it's called. But anyway what would you recommend for PC cooling besides liquid?
 
What would be a good second hard drive (needs to be big)? I've heard that the Western Digital 400 gig was pretty good.
 
lingding said:
Yea sorry didn't put that this will be a total game machine. I'm not going to do raid so would it be worth it to get two raptors? OR one and one big drive? As for the fx 57 ive been saving for some time now so this is definitly the processor I want to get, unless you knwo of anything better?

u might want to save some of that money as AMD is going to release a socket M2 next year.

i would go for X2 3800+ and DFI Lanpart nforce4 Ultra-D or if u are going SLI in the future then get the DFI nforce2 lanparty SLI if u can find it cheaper than the ASUS version
 
I wouldn't get a maxtor myself.

I would prob go for a seagate good reliable drive and has a 5 year warranty

Or a WD caviar have read alot of good things with this one

Hardforum HD buying guide give a very quick rundown


 
Back
Top