1st build thinking of added as cpu heatsink

badams

n00b
I just compeleted my first build and the cpu i5 2500k with the stock fan and heatsink runs between 32c idle and 55c while i'm running games. I am thinking about buying a heatsink to add to my mother board, I have the asus pro z68 motherboard and would like to get a great heatsink for it. I am wanting something that will not get in the way of my ram and will fit in the antec 1200 caes. I was hoping for some recomendation.

as always thank you for all your help

What's your budget?
Most high performance coolers are going to block the first memory slot so if that's an issue you may want to find people who have the same board and see what they use.

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ might be a good option.

I would say $100.00 would top it out, the first one is actually not used for the ram that I have in currentely but would not want it to block anything more than the first slot, I use b1 and b2 for the memory

BB was selling the H50 for $40 that is a very good deal. If they are still doing that that is.

Many of the 'great' heatsinks are gigantic and a PITA to install, but that's part of what makes them great. The HR-02 is a passive heatsink, if you aren't overclocking to a huge degree it's pretty sweet in that it will run without any fans (the antec 1200 should have enough case flow to keep it freshly fed), so it will have a tiny profile.

Otherwise an H50 or an H70 (~$100) can be a nice option if you can find high pressure fans for the radiator, it mounts on the rear exhaust of your case so it definitely doesn't block anything (tubing shouldnt be too bad for you).

+1 for the Corsair Hydro Series :D i have the H50 and it is keeping my Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.4Ghz 1.325v. Idle in the low 30c and 60c while gaming and 70c under p95 :)

watercooling sinks never get in the way of the RAM.:D
Snazzy = Heatkiller 3.0
more moderate prices: Swiftech or XSPC Rasa.

of course you'd need other stuff like a radiator,pump,reservoir and tubing.

Some of the pre-built kits such as the Corsair models will give pretty good results, are cheaper an less time consuming........but watercooling is fun.:cool:

Back