1KW PSUs.

Right, my old Enermax galaxy 1KW is getting on a bit, and beeping at me almost constantly, so it has to go.

Money and noise don't matter so much, but I need at least 8 molexes.

My gut instinct is to try the corsair HX1000W.

The Enermax and Silverstone offerings out due to too few molexes.

Any ideas?
Cheers

Why not keep your Galaxy & add a $65 Fortron X3 "GPU Booster" PSU?

If you are going to upgrade, you might as well go all the way to a PC P&C 1200, Silverstone DA 1200W, or
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W (model W0133 only).

Good Gaming,
Dave :)

The galaxy is pretty much freaking out, I think the shit's going wrong buzzer has gone wrong, so I need to RMA it, and might as well buy a new PSU to make me feel better. :D

1KW is more than enough for my needs (I guesstimate 800w-ish, but I'm scared to check) and I like a bit of headroom, without spending silly money.

Ultra X3 1000W.
Modular with all the stuff you need.
Compact size.
70Amp single 12V rail.
Quiet.
Excellent ratings from H and JonnyGuru.

I have had one for the last 15 months running my gamimg machine and it is flawless.

The galaxy is pretty much freaking out, I think the shit's going wrong buzzer has gone wrong, so I need to RMA it, and might as well buy a new PSU to make me feel better. :D

1KW is more than enough for my needs (I guesstimate 800w-ish, but I'm scared to check) and I like a bit of headroom, without spending silly money.
Then the EXCELLENT Corsair 1000W is your new PSU!

CONGRATS,
Dave:)

System in your sig?
Hard measured an overclocked extreme edition quad core2 + 4870X2, at 432W under full load...
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU0OSw4LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

You also need to watch the PSU draw at the wall.

Some 1K and nearly all 12ooW units get near 15 AMPS at the wall, which may start to strain your wall socket.

My Ultra "only" pulls 10Amps......I've considered a Thermaltake 1200 but the unit draws 15 amps......and that makes me a little nervous......my wall only carries 20 amps and there's a full sized refrigerator on the same ciuruit.....:eek:

Some 1K and nearly all 12ooW units get near 15 AMPS at the wall, which may start to strain your wall socket.

My Ultra "only" pulls 10Amps......I've considered a Thermaltake 1200 but the unit draws 15 amps......and that makes me a little nervous......my wall only carries 20 amps and there's a full sized refrigerator on the same ciuruit.....:eek:

A power supply only draws what is needed. A 1200w unit will not draw 15A all the time or really even ever.

A power supply only draws what is needed. A 1200w unit will not draw 15A all the time or really even ever.

On my Skulltrail and Geforce GTX 280 3-Way SLI setup using that PSU I only idle around 550 watts or so for the total system and under load it pulls around 850 watts or so.

Put your computer on another circuit. Better safe than sorry. I used to pop breakers all the time with my computer + window AC unit during the summertime.

i have a similar setup and your system will not draw above 600W on load guaranteed. it should idle around 250 W. I run my system in my Sig with an 800W PSU and it never skips a beat.

On my Skulltrail and Geforce GTX 280 3-Way SLI setup using that PSU I only idle around 550 watts or so for the total system and under load it pulls around 850 watts or so.
FYI, regarding Dan's post. Power (W) and Current (A) have a direct relationship according to Ohms law, or rather the extra laws that got bundled in with his original laws.

Power = Current * Voltage. What should be derived from Dan's post is that as his Power changes, the current is also changing via direct relationship because voltage is static at ~110-120Vac.

Ultra X3 1000W.
Modular with all the stuff you need.
Compact size.
70Amp single 12V rail.
Quiet.
Excellent ratings from H and JonnyGuru.

I have had one for the last 15 months running my gamimg machine and it is flawless.

I had purchased one of these locally after reading the review on Hardocp. The build quality seems nice, even though I don't know what to look for, and the fact it was modular was great.

Unfortunately, mine was a dud and I returned it after a couple of days.My computer was constantly freezing during gaming and an orange light was glowing on one of my 280's showing low power. I tried to exchange at CompUSA for the same thing, but they were out of stock so I had to get something else.

I bought a TT toughpower 1kw and it seems to work well.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3127371&CatId=2535

It is quieter than the Ultra x3, but not nearly as easy to manage the wires. It is not modular. I was able to do some decent cable management and like the supply a lot.

They are both probably good choices and my Ultra x3 could easily have just been one in a million defectives, but I wanted to give my real-world result. Keep in mind every review I had read on the Ultra x3 was positive and I am not condemning it as a bad product, just sharing my experience.

FYI, regarding Dan's post. Power (W) and Current (A) have a direct relationship according to Ohms law, or rather the extra laws that got bundled in with his original laws.

Power = Current * Voltage. What should be derived from Dan's post is that as his Power changes, the current is also changing via direct relationship because voltage is static at ~110-120Vac.

Yes. While idle the system doesn't pull nearly as much power as it does under load.

You don't need a 1kw psu. I'm running a 4GHZ C2D and GTX 260 Core 216 65nm voltmodded at 1.3v SLI on a 700w zippy with only 45 amps on the 12v line and it runs dead stable. Running 3 hard drives, 10 fans, fan controller, 2 optical drives, a bazillion usb devices, etc.

I should probably had been clearer, my spec in the sig fails to mention the 13 HDDs I have, Planning another 5 in the near future, so yeah, I have a tiny bit more draw than my sig suggests. ;)

Drives take little power. ~10w a piece. Spin-up is irrelevant in this case because your video card and processor will be idle when that is happening. You will want a single or dual rail power supply with that many drives however.

I agree the system only takes what it needs....

but, if it does spike, there goes the breaker......and generally right in the middle of something important......

like downloading prO.....errrrr the president's latest speech.:eek:

list your entire specs. i'll bet you don't pull more than 700 watts

I think;

Asus rampage formula
Q6600
8gb some ram or other
4870x2
auzentech prelude
highpoint rocketraid 2340
2x sata optical drives
2x raptor 150
1x samsung 500gb
5x WD RE2 500gb
5x WD GP 1000gb
(5x 2TB WD's to be added in the next 6 months)
3 backplanes (no idea if these eat much power)

laing d5 pump
some amp (no idea of draw)
6x tricool 120mm fans
3x crappy 80mm fans
2x really noisy 92mm fans

Drives take little power. ~10w a piece. Spin-up is irrelevant in this case because your video card and processor will be idle when that is happening. You will want a single or dual rail power supply with that many drives however.

They can pull 20-25w at spinup.

They can pull 20-25w at spinup.
I know, I said that it is irrelevant because the video card and processor will be idle during hard drive spin-up, so you don't have to take the extra power usage from the drives into consideration (since the processor and video card will require a lot more power under load).

The W0156RU is the exact same unit.......
(as the W0133) Given TT's history & reputation throughout the years, I only recommend a TT product that I personally "know" will work.

Thank you for the update, I love your reviews!

Great Job,
Dave
I know, I said that it is irrelevant because the video card and processor will be idle during hard drive spin-up, so you don't have to take the extra power usage from the drives into consideration (since the processor and video card will require a lot more power under load).
Actually the CPU is quite busy during boot.

You have a butt load of hard drives.......what do you store there?

During "spin-up" HDD's can pull close to 3A each, so with 13-HDD's you are looking at up to +12V@39A, 468W, of just +12V amperage for the HDD's alone, once they are running the pull is often less than +12V@1A. That is why we use "staggered" spin up in large SCSI arrays, so all things considered, including you only want about a 70% load for cool/quiet operation a 1KW PSU is quite reasonable.

The Corsair 1000W is an exceptional PSU & is often priced as a "Best Bang for the Buck", too!

Of course the Corsair 850W should work equally as well, but with just a little less headroom for future expansion.

Best Wishes,

During "spin-up" HDD's can pull close to 3A each, so with 13-HDD's you are looking at up to +12V@39A, 468W, of just +12V amperage for the HDD's alone, once they are running the pull is often less than +12V@1A. That is why we use "staggered" spin up in large SCSI arrays, so all things considered, including you only want about a 70% load for cool/quiet operation a 1KW PSU is quite reasonable.

The Corsair 1000W is an exceptional PSU & is often priced as a "Best Bang for the Buck", too!

Of course the Corsair 850W should work equally as well, but with just a little less headroom for future expansion.

Best Wishes,
However, as I've said twice now, the video card and processor will use more than that while under load, so you can ignore the extra load during spin-up. You will never encounter full load on the processor/video card and the drives spinning up simultaneously, so once again, drive spin-up can be ignored.

However, as I've said twice now, the video card and processor will use more than that while under load, so you can ignore the extra load during spin-up. You will never encounter full load on the processor/video card and the drives spinning up simultaneously, so once again, drive spin-up can be ignored.
I agree that the GPU(s) will not be stressed at start up, but the CPU will.

I agree that the GPU(s) will not be stressed at start up, but the CPU will.
Doing what? The POST test? It will take at least 30 seconds between pressing the power button and booting Windows because the RAID card will need to initialize.

Doing what? The POST test? It will take at least 30 seconds between pressing the power button and booting Windows because the RAID card will need to initialize.
What is your point?

Did you make any PSU recommendations for the OP?

If you are suggesting using "staggered" spin-up, I couldn't agree more!

It sounds like you may have already decided on the corsair but I just thought I would throw it out there.. My coolermaster 1000w has been running my quad sli rig 24/7 under load (folding) without any issues. Has been a great rock solid PSU

What is your point?

Did you make any PSU recommendations for the OP?

If you are suggesting using "staggered" spin-up, I couldn't agree more!
I told the OP that the fact that they have a bunch of drives makes no difference. As for staggered startup on the drives, it isn't necessary due to the point I just made. It would just slow down the boot time and is only necessary if you get a power supply with lots of 12v rails (which I recommended against).

Back