1KW opinions

If you want a super high end performance power supply, anything with PC Power and Cooling is the way to go. What you bought is overkill but you'll be happy in time.

That Corsair does look nice.

I currently have a OCZ GameXstream 700watt right now, and that's not enough for the 8800s in SLi. So I have an aux supply that's taking up a 5.25 bay, and I'd like to capture that back.

I'm not worried about noise, but heat is still a concern.

PC Power and Cooling is the only power supply I will ever buy and tell anyone else to buy. You get everything you pay for and then some.

That PSU is fine, it runs hot and is loud but those are the only bad things about it. More than enough power for you. All of OCZ's PSU's suck, except for the ProXstream line. For that price it's unbeatable.

Just reporting back.

As I said in the OP, I purchased this unit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341006

Well installing it took all of 20 minutes or so, even with my 2 GPUs and 6 HDDs.

I left a review on Newegg, and the unit is just as loud as my air conditioner, on medium. If you're looking for a silent PC, this is NOT the unit for you.

This unit replaced an OCZ 700watt GameXtream which was remarkably quiet, and an Auxiliary 325 watt 5.25 bay device. This thing drowns out the fans from my SLi'd 8800 GTXs, the Chilltec TEC cpu cooler, and my dog's snoring.

Overall, I gave it a 4 for it's inexpensiveness and delivery of power, but it would have been a 5 if it wasn't so damn loud.

I have a question of my own.

Right now I have an Athenatech Xtreme Force 1KW PSU. Is this a good PSU and if not... what would be recommended to replace it? Thanks.

In all honesty, I cannot recommend this PSU.

I'm very forgiving of the noise, because I have a 2 year old who is chattering constantly and watching kids shows when she's not testing out new words on dad's ears.

But unless you live in a noisy area, the closest example of the noise is literally an air conditioner.

As for heat, so far, not so bad. My Stacker is pretty good on airflow, even with the bundle of cables that come with this.

Back