~1K solution?

Soyo13

Gawd
I run my games at 1080p on a 40" screen. I see a lot jagged edge so I would like to use as much AA as possible without dropping below 60 FPS.

Most reviews out there focus heavily on multi monitor or much higher resolution than 1080p... There isn't much love for my gaming style. :(

Im about to splurge on myself and get a solid video card set up. But my question is how? My signature spec is up to date. I don't have a brand preference, so AMD or nVidia works for me.

Single card or Crossfire/SLI or Dual GPU card?
GTX 680 / HD 7970?
Dual GTX 680 / HD 7970?
Single GTX 690 / HD 7990?

Help out anyone?

Last edited:
:D

for AMD, I would take 7970 crossfire over the unofficial 7990 any day. for Nvidia, the 690 is actually a very efficient dual card solution but is pricey and effectively only has 2gb of vram.

I guess 7970 crossfire or 680 4gb sli would be the only options I would consider with a strong leaning towards 7970 crossfire.

Rather than looking at video cards, you might want to test your TV to see if it supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, and if it doesn't replace the TV with one that does. It does not appear that your particular model number has been tested, at least not from the sources I can find.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread
Information on what 4:4:4 is and how to test your TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread#post_21386797
List of tested TVs.

If your TV does support it, then my vote goes towards the GTX 680, as I am currently using a GTX 670 on a single 1920x1080 monitor and almost never dip below 60fps. The 7970 GHz Edition cards though are rather impressive on paper, but I have a bad taste in my mouth after a grueling battle with a 6950 and fighting with Overdrive to allow my custom fan profiles. (I lost, so AMD lost my business for a generation).

Last edited:
I would go with either a single 7970 (the MSI lightning is on sale for 425 atm) or get dual 7950's and OC them for monster performance. Dual 670's are up for consideration too if you prefer Nvidia's drivers.

I'm running a single 690 on my 40" At least it gives the me a little headroom for future games and can save room in my matx for another card. For 1080p it's a little overkilll but I'd rather have it and not need it. I also have triple monitors above the 40".. all pushed by the same 690. If I want to play on the 40" or the triple monitor surround.. I just choose the default screen, then start the game. The 690 also runs very cool compared to my previous 295 setup. I don't have any experience with ATI but the 690 has been a very good experience compared to the last dual gpu cards I've had.

The 690 is a beast, i love using it on my 40 inch samsung. The dual gpu allows for much higher aa/af options while staying above the 60 fps we all strive for.

Back