$1K path: buy 1 NOW > add 5870 > add 2 later = what to buy?

TroyTalksNoMore

Supreme [H]ardness
I want a monitor that allows me to buy a 5870 & add 2 monitors for triple display later.
- budget is around $1000 (+/-) over the next year (for the monitors - not the 5870)

What monitor should I buy - that allows me to add 2 more later?
- thin bezel models are best for triple displays, right?

More info: I play RACING games & FPS...
- I currently run a 47" Phillips 1080 HD TV "windshield" :D

My sig rig will get the 5870, Q9550 & Windows 7-64 over next year as well.

Thank you (in advance) for your suggestions & opinions!

Last edited:
I would say, get any 24" 1920x1200 that you feel comfortable with (everybody is partial to a particular brand). I would say that I have had good experiences buying dell refurbs, if you wanna save some money over buying new. I also like the slim bezels of the dells.

It would be awesome to get three 30's but we dont have the horsepower to push that many pixels on the highest settings yet.

Dell U2410 = $599
Radeon 5870 = $379-399
Total = $1000 shipped.

Adding another 2 U2410s down the road would be $1200 more.
Also Dell frequently has online coupons and offers around 5% bing cashback.

Thanks guys... but WOW!

Dell U2410 = $599
Radeon 5870 = $379-399
Total = $1000 shipped.

Adding another 2 U2410s down the road would be $1200 more.

Going that route = $2,200 + I still need a $200+ CPU!

Maybe I wasn't clear about the $1,000 being monitors only
I'm aiming @ $1,000 for monitors over the course of the next year.
3 monitors = one now @ $300, 2 more around June, all the same model = $1,000

The 5870 is my goal for around March + a new CPU as a separate fund ($600).
- I'm hoping that prices will drop a little by then...

Any monitor recommendations @ the $300 price point?

NEC MultiSync EA231WMI-BK - $318.50, I actually prefer this to the Dell U2410, $318.50 @ Provantage

only draw back is that it is a 1080p (not 1200)

NEC MultiSync EA231WMI-BK - $318.50, I actually prefer this to the Dell U2410, $318.50 @ Provantage

only draw back is that it is a 1080p (not 1200)

Gagnon has a really good point here. Even though he states the drawback. 1080p isn't going to be bad if you are running eyefinity. You probably wont miss those extra pixels as width isnt as important as height IMHO. (since you're turning them sideways, and you'll have 3).

You also might want to consider the U2410.. but wait for them to come on sale later. I'm sure they will drop in price.

If you are going to buying over the course of the next year, I would wait a while and see if any quality thin bezel monitors are released in that time.

I think a triple screen setup would look so much better with all thin bezel monitors. :D

If you are going to buying over the course of the next year, I would wait a while and see if any quality thin bezel monitors are released in that time.

I think a triple screen setup would look so much better with all thin bezel monitors. :D

There will probably be a lot more monitors supporting display port in the next 6-12 months also, which would save you another $100 from not having to buy the adapter. There are relatively few low end options with display port right now but there will definitely be more in the future.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 5850 on order with Amazon but I'm not seeing a lot of great combinations of thin bezel, cheap, and display port. I'd hate to compromise now and see some great options come out a few months later after Eyefinity starts catching on more.

The Dell e-ips 2209wa panel that some people were getting for around $212 by calling in seemed like a decent bet but not perfect. I think the display port adapter I could convince myself to buy, but I'd personally want the thinnest bezel possible.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 5850 on order with Amazon but I'm not seeing a lot of great combinations of thin bezel, cheap, and display port. I'd hate to compromise now and see some great options come out a few months later after Eyefinity starts catching on more.

The Dell e-ips 2209wa panel that some people were getting for around $212 by calling in seemed like a decent bet but not perfect. I think the display port adapter I could convince myself to buy, but I'd personally want the thinnest bezel possible.

Agreed. My other concern is that nvidia won't put out a similar tech which would therefore confine you to ati cards for upgrades unless you want to lose eyefinity and render extra monitors more or less useless for gaming. This is one situation where I hope the technology gets copied. I think I'm going to end up waiting about 6 months for monitors and some new nvidia information.

Back