1Gbps fiber for $70 in America? Yup

they also doing 100 mbit for $39/month

Can't compete with that. My sales chart shows we sell 50Mb for $95 and frankly we're selling at a loss just so we can make the claim we have the fastest speeds available . People can't imagine much it cost to maintain the plant let alone the access and distribution equipment. I'm not sure when the 100Mb rollout will be but I imagine it will be damned expensive.

Can't compete with that. My sales chart shows we sell 50Mb for $95 and frankly we're selling at a loss just so we can make the claim we have the fastest speeds available . People can't imagine much it cost to maintain the plant let alone the access and distribution equipment. I'm not sure when the 100Mb rollout will be but I imagine it will be damned expensive.

No cap though. Our service is unlimited.

Argh, come to Houston, TX! I'm tired of ATT and Comcast being our only internet options and then caps to boot! :mad:

This. Although Uverse isn't bad. :) *im in Richmond, TX. I am jealous 1Gbps would be awesome.

I'd hit it! Too bad nothing exciting bandwidth-wise ever happens in my area.

I hope this company would not be able to be bought by AT&T or comcast.... ?????

I'm DTP. Please move this to Fort Worth Texas. I'd love to have this instead of Charters 16/2mb plan that RARELY ever gets those speeds, and I'm close to Fort Worth.

What a load of crap. As time goes by technology should improve, speeds increase, and costs go down.

US ISPs have been dragging their feet and moving at a glacial pace.

Yes infrastructure is expensive. But, lately businesses in the US seem backwards, rather than competing by trying to provide the best and fastest service for the lowest price they are trying to squeeze the most money out of each customer with the least innovation and investment.

If there was real and faircompetition we WOULD have gigabit down AND UP to our houses for under $50 a month ALREADY.

I think "we have x download bandwidth!" is way overrated.

What _I_ want out of a provider is:
* Native IPV6
* STATIC IP's
* GOOD ToS to run whatever I want
* No bandwidth caps.

Similar to very high MPG, increasing speed past a certain speed point isn't too useful.

Example:

12000 miles @ $4 gas
---
20mpg mixed = $2400/yr fuel
30mpg mixed = $1600/yr fuel Save $800
40mpg mixed = $1200/yr fuel Save $400
50mpg mixed = $960/yr fuel Save $240
60mpg mixed = $800/yr fuel Save $160

Download speed
Steam Games
[email protected]/s = 19.08 hours
12GB@6Mbit/s = 4.77 hours
12GB@10Mbit/s = 2.86 hours
12GB@20Mbit/s = 1.43 hours
12GB@50Mbit/s = 0.57 hours
12GB@100Mbit/s = 0.29 hours
12GB@1000Mbit/s= 0.29 hours

I think "we have x download bandwidth!" is way overrated.

What _I_ want out of a provider is:
* Native IPV6
* STATIC IP's
* GOOD ToS to run whatever I want
* No bandwidth caps.

Similar to very high MPG, increasing speed past a certain speed point isn't too useful.

Example:

12000 miles @ $4 gas
---
20mpg mixed = $2400/yr fuel
30mpg mixed = $1600/yr fuel Save $800
40mpg mixed = $1200/yr fuel Save $400
50mpg mixed = $960/yr fuel Save $240
60mpg mixed = $800/yr fuel Save $160

Download speed
Steam Games
[email protected]/s = 19.08 hours
12GB@6Mbit/s = 4.77 hours
12GB@10Mbit/s = 2.86 hours
12GB@20Mbit/s = 1.43 hours
12GB@50Mbit/s = 0.57 hours
12GB@100Mbit/s = 0.29 hours
12GB@1000Mbit/s= 0.29 hours

Considering the average broadband speed in the US is 4Mbps, I don't think rolling out cheap 100Mbps/1Gbps is played out at all

Considering the average broadband speed in the US is 4Mbps, I don't think rolling out cheap 100Mbps/1Gbps is played out at all

For most people, I doubt they can tell the difference between 4Mbit/s and 100Mbit/s.

Holy shit thats awesome.. I hope there trial goes very well & its found to be very viable & then have them get some major non telco backing & roll it out in a hurry..

They should be able to get the backing of netflix in a hurry.. haha

For most people, I doubt they can tell the difference between 4Mbit/s and 100Mbit/s.

With more and more people streaming HD media, the broadband needs to catch up imo, especially if there are multiple people on the same connection.

There can be an arms race but not a broadband race? I call shenanigans.

There can be an arms race but not a broadband race? I call shenanigans.

As soon as someone invents a fiber-optic cable that not only can carry 1Gbps but also electrocute fuzzy furriners, just watch it get implemented in 5 years.

Come to the D/FW area in TX, Sonic! The only Sonic we currently have are those nasty fast food joints. :(

Please come to Fort Worth Texas area, preferably RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Thank you,
I'll be waiting.

My gf is getting internet setup tomorrow and is getting ATT for 19.99 locked in for a year, sweet deal right? Yea except for the fact that its: DSL and only 6mbps claimed speed. I was happy and sad a the same time when I saw speed and pricing from sonic.net. You would think that years later, a company as larger as ATT would have enough money to get up to speed with their technology to meet current consumer and business needs. Really fuckin' hate them.
~End of rant

If Sonic could roll this out in a big way, it would be industry changing. I mean, I pay like $50 for 12 Mbps! Imagine 10x that speed for $10 LESS....

Back