1G vs. 2G

Risiko

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 14, 2003
Messages
177
Your thoughts?

For gaming, is more than 1g ever needed? Would it be worth it to go for 2g over 1g in a new system as far as gaming goes?
 
depends on the rig and the games. in some things 2gb is nice, in others it's not worth the money
 
I had 512 and was getting a lot of disk access with D3 and HL2. Went to 1 Gig and it stopped completely. Far Cry also benefitted. Since these are the most crushing games out there I would say that 1 Gig should be plenty for a while since most new stuff will be based on these. I suspect that when games can take advantage of dual core and you need a 512 meg video card it's going to be 2 Gig time. I am hoping that my skt754 board will take me all the way to that time and when I upgrade to those tasty dual channel rigs it will be 2 x 1 Gig matched sticks :)
Dual core world with all that multitasking and what I'm sure is gonna be memory hungry Longhorn OS will demand it.

cheers
 
My concerns are Battlefield 2, and to a lesser extent, Age of Empires 3.

I'm thinking that the loading times for BF2 will be shortened with 2 gigs, but I'm not sure if it'll help in any other way.
 
I noticed the difference. I recently built a rig for a friend using the PDP Patriot 2x1gb and everything is generally smoother than my PC. I noticed the loading time difference as well...but it could just be going from a 2.4c@2.8 to a 3500+
 
I am in this same boat too. I like to be above the power curve and have more ram than I will use, just incase. 2GB seems to be the uber sweet spot right now. Way more than you should need this year.... but for heavy stuff, it will be great. My problem is the A64 Memory Controller and 1T settings while using 4 dimms. So , I need to find some goood good 1GB sticks of ram. They exist now, but not at the levels I want to overclock to....
 
Back
Top