196.75 drivers dangerous, read here

Yes. Many have mentioned using discrete software which offers manual fan speed control is working with these drivers. I haven't used rivatuner myself for about a year. I am using EVGA Precision with these drivers and not only do I not have any issues setting fan speed exactly where I want, my cards are definitely - (I've had enough time now to check many games / benchies) - running, on average, around 2 to 3 degrees C cooler on these drivers than they have on any others. Performance with the 196.75 drivers, for me, is simply extraordinary. These are proving to be, for me, the best performing drivers for my cards of any so far and this by a wide margin. (see my post #52 in the front page news 196.75 thread)
I've purchased BC2 but it's sitting here unopened because of these drivers coming out. I've been somewhat excited by how well they are working for me and have fallen into my "check this - check that - double check this" routine. I'm feeling very lucky that I downloaded them before NV pulled them down. I know that last statement goes against the conventional wisdom of "quick, roll them back before your card melts". Well, I often walk "the road less traveled" and doing so this time has really paid off . You could take these drivers from my cold dead fingers but that's the only way you'd get em. Yes, for me they are that good.
Nvidia put up drivers with a borked fan speed controller. That's atrocious on it's face.
But this is [H] and I certainly believe all here are able to monitor GPU fan speed and temps with no problem and stop any issue from developing to a point where it melts a card.
Why bother?
What if their's a diamond inside that lump of coal?

This is exactly my experience so far witj these drivers. I also set my fans at 70% whenever I play any game and temps are fine, same as any other driver set
I haven't relied on drivers to auto adjust my gpu fan speeds while doing any gpu intensive task in a long time.

This is exactly my experience so far witj these drivers. I also set my fans at 70% whenever I play any game and temps are fine, same as any other driver set
I haven't relied on drivers to auto adjust my gpu fan speeds while doing any gpu intensive task in a long time.

Savoy:
I've been wondering if the performance boost I've gotten might be limited to DX9 - 32 bit,(see sig).
It would appear not.

I use Afterburer to control my fans, but with these drivers, the idle temps were nearly 20 degrees hotter - I didn't dare attempt to run any games based on that fact alone! Sure, I could bump my fan speeds all the way up and turn my quiet setup into a hairdryer, but I'll stick for now with the 196.34's which work just fine....

Savoy:
I've been wondering if the performance boost I've gotten might be limited to DX9 - 32 bit,(see sig).
It would appear not.

Nah dude your on the money. So far so good here running vista 64. All my games are smooth so far.

Back