1920x1080 problem on LCD HDTV

bigmac

Limp Gawd
I just got an LCD TV and am trying to use with my computer. I don't have cable, so I would like to just use a PC for all my TV viewing. The TV is Sharp Aquos LC-40LE700UN. It's 1080p 120Hz, so it is a decent one and should be able to handle any reasonable input. My video card is Radeon 9600. Yes, it's old, but it supports 1920x1080. I am using a Monoprice DVI -> HDMI cable to connect them.

Anyway, I tried a bunch of different resolutions. All seem to work fine. For some reason 1777x1000 does not work at all, but that does not concern me. When I try 1920x1080 60Hz (which is what I really want to use), I get a ton of horizontal static. I can make out what is on the screen, but it's definitely far from watchable. The TV classifies the signal as 1080p, so something is right. I also tried 1920x1080 30Hz (interlaced). That works and TV appropriately calls it 1080i. So why is 1920x1080 60Hz not working?

I would ideally try other TVs and video cards, but I do not have access to any at the moment. I thought maybe there was an obvious issue you guys could help me pinpoint.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have an answer for you, but I can assure you, you are not alone.

My TV (47" Westinghouse LCD) supports 1080p as well. When I set my video card to whatever by 1080, it works perfectly, until I reboot. Once it reboots, I get the same horizontal static that you are describing. To get it back to normal I have to set it to be my PIP signal, then back to the main signal. Strange.

I also haven't tried different video cards, cables, drivers, or other displays.

get yourself a cheap $30 video card from newegg with hdmi. I usually don't respond that way, but with a 1080p tv, do it some justice and get a card that does hdcp.

My TV (47" Westinghouse LCD) supports 1080p as well. When I set my video card to whatever by 1080, it works perfectly, until I reboot. Once it reboots, I get the same horizontal static that you are describing. To get it back to normal I have to set it to be my PIP signal, then back to the main signal. Strange.

I had a 47" westy until recently. It had burn in and Best Buy replaced it with a bran new Samsung. I had all kinds of oddities with that thing and the different inputs I used. Most of the issues went away when I switched to a single source (Everything plugged into my receiver and my receiver was the only thing plugged into the TV via HDMI).

During the 3 years that I used the westy, I found the best way to resolve the problem you describe was to turn the TV off and then back on. It took care of all the issues.

I know there was a firmware upgrade for the model I had (LV47M or something like that). If you can find a way to get your firmware upgraded, it may resolve the issue completely for you.

The OP can try this with the Sharp as well - turning the TV off and on again MIGHT help. I'd also recommend checking into a firmware upgrade to clear up issues like this. It might not be possible, but it's worth looking into. If this doesn't work/isn't an option, I support this:
get yourself a cheap $30 video card from newegg with hdmi

They're not $30, as I'm assuming you need an AGP card... but you can get one for $70-100. It will probably make things easier down the road! However, that opens another door -- spend that much, or spend a little more and upgrade the mobo, ram, cpu to something more current with onboard HDMI...

So I had access to an older MacBook Pro last night (standard DVI port). Even with a slightly older and mobile video card, it still did 1920x1080 60Hz no problem. Turns out it wasn't TV or the cable or some crazy magnetic force field in the room that were causing the problem.

At this point I am slightly annoyed. The Radeon 9600 is old, but it is supposed to support 1080p. Why doesn't it work?

I could get a new video card, but the choices are limited with AGP. Nearly all of them are the GeForce 6200. I may have better luck with it, but it's not exactly a superior card (from my brief glance). Not sure I could justify a purchase like that.

Back