1920 x 1200 and jaggies

kingdomwinds

Limp Gawd
I just got a 24 inch samsung 2493HM and noticed that there are jaggies when i play at 1920 x 1200 with no AA. I have heard from ppl that jaggies are not noticeable at this rez.

Is there something i must do with the monitor settings to get no jaggies at 1920 x 1200 no AA?

Jaggies are less noticeable at 1920x1200 than at smaller resolutions but the only way to remove them completely is to enable AA.

Jaggies are noticable at any resolution if you look close enough. The benefit of higher resolutions is that you don't have to enable as much aa to get a smoother picture, but some aa might still be necessary depending on how close you sit to your monitor.

pixel pitch is what determines how many jaggies you'll see, not the resolution

and obviously your distance from the monitor

what is a good pixel pitch for a lcd? I don't even know what it is on this monitor. Does not even show it on the product spec page

Pixel Pitch can be calculated from Display size. Divid the display width in milimeters by the number of native resolution pixels accross the screen. For a 24 inch display you would have 20.3 inches x 25.44 mm/inch divided by 1920 pixels giving 0.269 mm.

It is not given in the specs because it is the same for all panels of a given size. With the possable exception of some odd ball manufacture in which case you can still get it from the native resolution.

anything under 0.3 is considered good, but it really depends on the viewing distance. Pixel pitch is much higher on TVs then on computer monitors, because you look at them from much further away.

That is enough math for now

Dave

Jagginess really is in the eye of the beholder. Some people could care less, some people are much more picky.

If the jaggies are bothering you, just turn up the AA until you are content :)

OK, what do you actually mean by "jaggies"?
Btw, the pixel size isn't everything, its shape also matters :) Some panels just have very nice pixels... like mine :)

Back