• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1900xtx and Cinema Display 23"

Apollo686

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
227
I have had my ATi X1900XTX for a while now paired with a dell 2005fpw, but decided recently I wanted something bigger. Today I went and bought a 23" Apple Cinema Display to replace the DELL. Then hooking it up I ran into trouble. When hooked up to just the ACD, the system doesn't boot. No bios, no windows loading, no desktop. It never boots up, it just sits there forever.

So I'm thinking maybe the monitor is bad. I plugged my DELL into the other DVI port and restart. The system boots up to windows, and once it gets to the welcome screen the Cinema Display works fine. Beautiful picture, better than the dell by a lot. However, I can't start the computer without the DELL hooked up.

I have been reading about other people with the post and loading screen problems, but not so much as far as the computer not booting at all with only the ACD. I really want to get this fixed because I love this monitor, but I will return it if I can't get this fixed. System specs are as follows:

P4 3.8
Intel 925xe
ATi x1900xtx
Vista RC2

I updated the bios to the latest from intel, but this really seems like the graphics card. I could replace it, but I don't want to go down in performance. Any ideas would be apreciated.
 
Well I got no responses, but here is some information for anyone else who may find it usefull:


The 23" Apple Cinema Display does not work with the X1600XT or X1900XTX. If it is plugged in, the graphics card will not allow the system to boot. At all. I have tried two different 1900XTX's and one 1600XT.

With a BFG 7950GT OC the system starts up without issues. The monitor shows post information, vista loading screen, and runs without incident.

Some people have been saying that it is an issue with the Cinema Display being unable to output 640x480 resolution. This is not true. With an Nvidia card, the monitor works perfectly.



If you need to use an ATI card with this monitor, I have found that if you unplug the monitor from the PC, boot the PC into windows, and then connect the monitor this method works. The desktop may or may not need to be resized each time, but once loaded into windows the ATI cards work perfectly.

This leads me to believe the issue is the ATI card BIOS and detection of the Apple Cinema Display EDID information. This seems like it could potentially be fixed with a card update from ATI, but we will see if this is actually ever fixed.


I believe the Cinema Display will work with the 9550, but I havn't tested it myself. If anyone has further input or specific models which are tested as working, that would be helpful. Especially high end models, as I am stuck with a 7950GT OC right now (1950XTX users?).


Also, if anyone knows if the 20" and 30" models suffer the same issues I would apreciate it. As I understand it, the 23" is the one with most of the issues.




I hope somone else finds this info useful.
 
Back
Top