$189 for Windows 10 Pro?

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to find a legitimate non-oem version of Windows 10 Pro. I obviously want to save money but I don't want some license issues to pop up a year down the road because I bought some reseller key version.

Basically I'm just double checking to make sure I'm not overpaying. 189 seems like a lot and I'm already strapped for cash in this build so I don't want to pay than I really need to.

I got my copy for free through uni. You could looking into finding a student to buy a key for you.

I pay around 600 PLN in Poland which is like 166 USD, for 10 Pro, it's a "OEM System Builder" variant. Comes with a DVD and COA sticker, sealed.

Fun fact: I can buy exactly 3 licenses for my monthly salary =) kill me =)

Historically, $189 for Windows Pro Retail isn't a bad deal. Of course, it's still a lot of money for someone living paycheck to paycheck, that's why there are other avenues to purchase keys that may or may not be 100% compliant with Microsoft's licensing terms.

Historically, $189 for Windows Pro Retail isn't a bad deal. Of course, it's still a lot of money for someone living paycheck to paycheck, that's why there are other avenues to purchase keys that may or may not be 100% compliant with Microsoft's licensing terms.

That's exactly it. My concern is, if I use one of those non-compliant keys, what is the worst that can happen? My assumption is that, one day I boot up and have a message saying my copy of windows isn't valid, so I'd need to get a new key.

However this is for a business technically, so I don't know if they treat violating corporate entities harsher. It seems a bit paranoid but I'm just trying to anticipate problems.

That's exactly it. My concern is, if I use one of those non-compliant keys, what is the worst that can happen? My assumption is that, one day I boot up and have a message saying my copy of windows isn't valid, so I'd need to get a new key.

However this is for a business technically, so I don't know if they treat violating corporate entities harsher. It seems a bit paranoid but I'm just trying to anticipate problems.
If for a business you need to get a truly licensed key, not grey market IMO. Can't the business write off the PC expense?

If for a business you need to get a truly licensed key, not grey market IMO. Can't the business write off the PC expense?

I'm still developing and it will be realistically a long time before I have to worry about writing off anything simply because I'm not bringing in revenue yet. At this stage, a $150 can buy a lot of other equipment I need.

Oh, just as a curiosity - I also checked the BOX edition of PRO in the store that had it cheapest in my town. The transferrable version. It's 964 PLN which is 266 USD.

Any reason you want to use a non oem version? I paid $10 for each of my copies. No issues to speak of.

Last edited:
If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 installed on a given machine, the Accessibility Upgrade is still available but it could end at any given time so, if you want Windows 10 for free or without cost that's how to get it. Worse comes to worse you get a legit 7/8/8.1 license then upgrade that with that Accessibility Upgrade (it must be initiated from that page, for the record, as the tool you download to start the upgrade is a different one from the regular Windows 10 upgrade tool) and you're still good to go whenever needed, as long as you take advantage of that upgrade before they finally decide to end it.

That's the OEM version - only good on one computer. I know with Win 7 and prior, it wasn't a problem to switch, but with Windows 10, it's a hassle to use on a different computer. If he wants a fully transferrable license, this is the one he needs, currently $199 at Microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/product/452242/Windows_10_Pro_32-bit-64-bit_-_USB_Drive

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 installed on a given machine, the Accessibility Upgrade is still available but it could end at any given time so, if you want Windows 10 for free or without cost that's how to get it. Worse comes to worse you get a legit 7/8/8.1 license then upgrade that with that Accessibility Upgrade (it must be initiated from that page, for the record, as the tool you download to start the upgrade is a different one from the regular Windows 10 upgrade tool) and you're still good to go whenever needed, as long as you take advantage of that upgrade before they finally decide to end it.

^ So much this. And the beauty of it is that it locks that free license to your motherboard. After you do the Accessibility Upgrade once, you can perfrom a fresh Win 10 install (even if you change all the other hardware other than the board) and it will automagically activate when it detects that same motherboard being used.

^ So much this. And the beauty of it is that it locks that free license to your motherboard. After you do the Accessibility Upgrade once, you can perfrom a fresh Win 10 install (even if you change all the other hardware other than the board) and it will automagically activate when it detects that same motherboard being used.

So when your motherboard dies and the manufacturer RMA's you, does it work by the actual motherboard model or does it specifically bind to the motherboard's individual serial. Rumor is Microsoft can adjust the license but still, that's pretty crappy.

So when your motherboard dies and the manufacturer RMA's you, does it work by the actual motherboard model or does it specifically bind to the motherboard's individual serial. Rumor is Microsoft can adjust the license but still, that's pretty crappy.

For every motherboard a unique key is created. Probably a combination of serial number, MAC address, etc. etc. So yes, the license stays on MS's servers linked to the board. If you RMA the board and they send you a different board back, you have just given away your license. It some ways its awesome but sucks if your board goes dead. I haven't been able to get MS to give me a new key/reactivation for a board change tied to an OEM license on Win 10 (MS does not have to reactivate you with OEM. OEM keys are technically only for your original hardware. This has been the case since XP but now they seem to be enforcing it. Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS laptops, etc. have motherboard tattoos with a Master Key to solve this issue when those boards get RMA replaced, but standard motherboards do not have this) so I just keep using the free Accessibility Upgrade when changing mobos.

TL;DR - If you must buy a license, get a Retail Box copy only, as that license gives you the right to transfer to new hardware (specifically motherboard which is tied to a activation). I guess tha'ts why you pay so much for it ;)

I've never had any issues with the $10-30 grey market keys. Never been shut off or notified of any problems.

those of you who nay say on the grey market keys, but promote the accessibility upgrade humor me.

"It's not legit to buy a key from another country where Microsoft charges less, but it is legit to pretend I'm disabled/handicaped and get the free version intended for the disabled!!!"

those of you who nay say on the grey market keys, but promote the accessibility upgrade humor me.

"It's not legit to buy a key from another country where Microsoft charges less, but it is legit to pretend I'm disabled/handicaped and get the free version intended for the disabled!!!"

To be fair, I don't think they are arguing from an ethical standpoint more like a "likelihood of a problem with your key popping up later on" position, which I would agree, Microsoft is a whole lot more likely to void a bunch of regional keys then they are to individual vet a "formerly blind" person.

Back