This is completely off-topic, so if the moderator wants to move or even delete it, I will totally understand... but can anyone with experience with Xbox Live answer the following basic (ie, nub) questions :

1. If an Xbox Live subscription runs out, does that Gamertag remain "reserved" in Microsoft's systems so someone else can't immediately use it the next morning? How does Xbox Live know not to let someone else use a GT whose subscription has run out and isn't going online anymore? Is there a "grace period" of X months, for instance?
  2. Is there some kind of rebate for a second Xbox Live account belonging to the same person?
  3. If going that route, will there be anything associating the two accounts (on the same card) in the eyes of the public?
Thanks.
  1. When your subscription runs out and there is no payment options saved on your account with the renewal option enabled, it rolls over to a free Silver account. If all the payment options you have are invalid with the renewal option enabled, your account will be deactivated until a valid payment is made. If you have renewal disabled, your account will automatically rollover to a free Silver account. Meaning you keep your Gamertag. AFAIK Gamertags are never released, so every subsequent account created needs to be unique.
  2. The system has to assume one person to one account. If you create another account and want to upgrade it to Gold, you have to pay the full price to do so. There are discounts for family plans and the like that you can research, but I think it is unethical to take advantage of those sorts of things. Those types of accounts come with their own restrictions, anyway.
  3. Again, Gamertags are assumed to be attached to one person. The public will never know any association between two tags unless you let them know through friends lists and the like. The Xbox Live terms of service explicitly state to not share your account with anyone as you are responsible for anything that happens with it. However there is nothing wrong with having multiple accounts. Security and reporting of issues over Xbox Live generally happens at the console level anyway if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know what your intentions are here, but just to let you know, every console your Gamertag has ever played on is permanently attached to the account. There is no guilt by association, but in extreme cases Microsoft can investigate the console ID and pull associated Gamertags to establish a history of malfeasance. In those cases they can just ban the console outright, preventing it from ever connecting to Xbox Live again.

Not saying you're thinking of doing anything malicious, but just covering my butt ;).

They dropped family accounts with the launch of the One, but made it so the Gold account benefits shared to every gamer tag being used by that console.

Gamertags are also linked to your Microsoft account and Skype accounts

They dropped family accounts with the launch of the One, but made it so the Gold account benefits shared to every gamer tag being used by that console.

Gamertags are also linked to your Microsoft account and Skype accounts
Ah yes, I had forgotten that other accounts can benefit from Gold-only features on the One. I thought the Gold account had to be logged in at the same time? I apologize for my ignorance, I just have not had a reason to take advantage of it.

No, unfortunately you cannot transer account subscriptions between Gamertags.

So the only way to go online with a 2nd account on the same machine -- even if I'm willing to sacrifice what's left on my existing account (5 months) -- is to pay another $60 + tx for another 12 months beginning today (which would overlap on the other account's remaining 5 months).

Correct?
On the Xbox 360, yes. I would just ride out your original Gamertag. I did the same thing way back in 2006 before creating a new one. I made a poor choice of Gamertag name and I didn't want to waste the $10 for changing it.

Back