• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1800xt Crossfire or 1900XTX?

jfloyd

n00b
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
21
Got a buddy whos a upgrade junkie. He offered to sell me his Crossfire cards for the same price I was gonna buy an 1900XTX for. Leaning toward the Crossfire set up, but I dont know. What you guys think?


Thanks for replies.
 
what do you really play? the X1800XT CF set up would more then likely give you better performance in most games

being stuck with X1800's how ever is the problem if you ever want to upgrade you have do quite a bit more then just using hte single X1900 which seems to do the job in just about all the games

when i was using my X1900XT for gaming it was doing more then enough to make me satisfied, i'd probably go with the single solution
 
Here is what I would do depending on how good of a deal you are getting on the cards...

Buy his CF cards and trade/sell them. I figure if you are patient you can get $450-$500 out of them. Then by that time, the 1950 will be out making the x1900xtx much cheaper. Buy one for around $280 and then keep the rest.
 
He's selling them for $450.00. My 1900XT blew up last week. So I need a new card(s) A.S.A.P. I was origionally gonna just get an 1900CF Master and be done with it. But the whole future DX10 situation threw an monkey wrench into that plan. So I need a set up now that will run the up and coming non-DX10 games with all the eye candy settings on. Either way Ill still have to upgrade when the DX10 cards come out. I just dont know which set up will give me the better performance.

I know that the 1900XTX is the newer card but Ive seen the 2 1800's on his system and was blown away and have no experience with the XTX.
 
X1800CF will be faster in games with decent CF support. Although it does have 16 fewer ALU's than a single X1900XT, Oblivion still sees a ~30% improvement. I've stated before my feeling that the X1900's TMU/ROP:ALU ratio is too imbalanced (or ahead of it's time?), and this shader-heavy game highlights it pretty well I think.

Having said that...
NewEgg has the Sapphire X1900XT for $315, which I personally feel is a better option than $450 for used X1800CF cards unless you have a big LCD to power. When you do upgrade, it should be much easier to offload a single X1900.
 
Ahead of its time IMO. Look at how well the card performs in newer, more demanding games (FEAR, Oblivion). The problem is the card's shelf cycle will end sooner than the 3:1 ratio can be utilized, but I'm guessing it provides ATI a benchmark for carrying over the same style to next generation cards.
 
Thanks for the input all. My monitor is a 21'' (1680X1050) if that makes a difference. And im not worried about selling the cards when a decent DX10 card comes out because ill probably build a computer for my little brother and use it/them in his.
 
go with the crossfire your gonna get better performance. plus the x1800 kicks some assits not like your looking at an outdated card
 
Back
Top