18-Way GPU Linux Benchmarks

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative OS users out there should check out this 18-way GPU Linux benchmark article at Phoronix today. Everything from the Radeon RX 460 all the way up to the GeForce GTX 1080 are put to the test with a handful of older cards thrown in as well.

Yesterday I published early open-source benchmarks of the Radeon RX 470 while today is a full 18-way graphics card comparison including the newly-launched Radeon RX 460 and Radeon RX 470 graphics cards alongside the RX 480 Polaris graphics card. All of the AMD graphics cards tested for this article were running the very latest open-source driver stack on the Linux 4.8 kernel and Mesa 12.1-dev Git.

Open source drivers have come a long way. I am not moving to Linux any time soon, but it is good to see that if I have to, I will be able to play games!

Its interesting to see the amd open source drivers working, it would have been more interesting to see how the Closed source catalysts compared.
I have been sticking with Nvidia hardware for awhile now as their closed source linux support has been very good. I don't really care if my drivers are closed source, manufacturers supporting the hardware you buy isn't a big deal to most people. AMD has supposedly improved their Linux drivers recently, it would be find out how much that is true from someone with that much gear around to test.

AMD has been pulling up the rear for years and always waiting for some future optimization that never materializes. I think you would need to be a masochist to run AMD cards with open source drivers and actually expect consistent performance.

Nvidia's closed source Linux drivers have been the standard for many years now.

Last edited:
I would switch to Linux only but DirectX and PhysX is a big deal breaker when it comes to Linux. Playing around and installing programs from console is also fun. Trying to find the right distro can be time consuming. I have recently tried Ubuntu but it seems to be having issues switching to Nvidia drivers where it wont switch over at all. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling them and that doesn't work either. I also can not find a good way to get grub installed during boot where it doesn't give you options, even though I have read about what to do. One of the recent ones I have tried is GhostBSD that does boot loaders the right way. Do to user error I copied over the windows bootloader with a linux one and Windows would not boot. I keep getting a OS is missing message. Another issue is that sometimes the other Non-OS harddrives can not be mounted. No matter what commands I try.
I'm hoping that with newer releases I can move away from windows for everything but games. Wine and PlayonLinux is good. I was able to play Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire. One good thing about doing this is that I also learned how to kill programs from console: kill -9 {number here} example: 7690. Not sure if I was root to do this though. Anyway going to keep trying other distro's and learning on the way. I'm a learn with pictures type of person.​

AMD has been pulling up the rear for years and always waiting for some future optimization that never materializes. I think you would need to be a masochist to run AMD cards with open source drivers and actually expect consistent performance.

Nvidia's closed source Linux drivers have been the standard for many years now.

Actually the new AMDGPU Open source driver with Kernel 4.6 and up is actually quite nice. I use it on my laptop and the few games I play actually play quite well. Far better than the old open source driver.

Back