• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

18 new Ivy Bridge models for 2012

Tisca

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
244
At least..:

Table.gif

(img courtesy of sweclockers)


EDIT (29.11): more IB info: Intel NDA Desktop Platform Roadmap WW03 2012
 
Last edited:
I can only hope that the i5-3570K is not overly spendy (especially compared to the flamethrower that is the current i5-2500K) - if, for some reason, the 2500K isn't enough CPU (which I seriously doubt), the 3570K would be a drop-in upgrade.
 
Wait, wait, wait...no clock bump on the high end models even with the move to 22nm? Weird.

If intel's statements of a 15-20% incease in performance clock-for-clock is true, then there's really no need for a clock bump to start with.
 
If intel's statements of a 15-20% incease in performance clock-for-clock is true, then there's really no need for a clock bump to start with.

Leaked benches haven't shown that to be true. I think it was 15%-20% increase in higher clocks (not ipc) performance with the same power figures. That kind of bump you are looking at is more of a new arch not just a arch with a new die shrink.
 
Leaked benches haven't shown that to be true. I think it was 15%-20% increase in higher clocks (not ipc) performance with the same power figures. That kind of bump you are looking at is more of a new arch not just a arch with a new die shrink.

Ivy features Trigate technology. That alone will net a healthy gain.
 
I figured this is about how it would look. Intel does not want to have a repeat on their mainstream socket competing with their enthusiast socket. These should be a bit better overclockers than sandybridge though if they are hitting 3.5ghz at a 77W tdp.
 
well TDP is listed @ 77W on the 3.5ghz part. Not too bad, I'm assuming more than anything this is going to be pushing into the mobile market. a 45W quad that is clocked @ 2.5ghz base and 3.8ghz turbo is pretty tempting.
 
That is what the transistors can do not IPC. Although this should mean better overclocks.

Edit: Also I wish they expanded the graph to include a larger range of voltages perhaps up to 1.3V.
 
Last edited:
You are expecting a 18% to 40% boost? Prepare to be more disappointed then what the BD launch was made up to be then. That graph only shows potentially going to happne not what is going to be in the final design.

No, but i sure the hell expect a bit more then 4-6.
 
5% IPC + 5% clock increase + 5% overclock means the 2600K@5000 got another 750Mhz (5750) :D

This has nothing to do with the OP btw. Im just trolling but a damn good troll-able point.

the I7-3930K in your sig explains why you're already in the anti-ivy club ;)
 
Last edited:
No, but i sure the hell expect a bit more then 4-6.

A have seen a few leaked benchmarks that show IB very little ahead of SB at the same clock. Of course these maybe fakes, but I'm not expecting anything over 10% if we are lucky in certain areas. Last I knew the major focus for IB was better power usage for mobile and a more powerful GPU.
 
Been saying for some time, this is going to be a great laptop (or HTPC) chip with low power consumption and heat output. Overclocking should be good too, but Haswell is going to be the next barn burner.
 
3570k better be as revolutionary as the i7 920...

so i can finally upgrade
 
3570k better be as revolutionary as the i7 920...

so i can finally upgrade

Well it's not the next big thing, that would be Haswell (IIRC) after Ivy Bridge.

On a more related note: I'll probably throw a 3770k in my rig if it's not too expensive, especially if overclocking is better. Everyone loves some stupid high clock speeds. :D
 
OH MY GOD ----- THE WORLD IS GOING TO BE A DIFFERENT PLACE WITH IVY!!!!!!

LOL @ all of you who sit here for months and pray to the gods of silicon that it is going to be the next thing that can turn dirt to gold.

Does this surprise you kind of people? Not me!!!

God im glad i'm not one of you hype buying internet rumor junkies.

This has nothing to do with the OP btw. Im just trolling but a damn good troll-able point.


Ivy Bridge is going to net us a lot more power efficiency and better graphics.

I know, Desktop users with dedicated graphics users will not care (I have a Sandy Bridge iMac as well), but it's going to be huge for next year's laptops.

Same with Haswell.
 
Im waiting for Ivy Bridge, because the timelines of release will allow the x79 platform to mature and I will be able to upgrade from my i7 920/x58 setup to the next rev of boards and cpu's.
 
I want Ivy to retire my 920. All I want is equal performance with much less power draw, pinching pennies here!
 
5% IPC + 5% clock increase + 5% overclock means the 2600K@5000 got another 750Mhz (5750) :D



the I7-3930K in your sig explains why you're already in the anti-ivy club ;)

No, the 3930K in his sig means he'll still have two more cores than a regular IB and can drop in an 8/10 core monster IB later...
 
I wonder when we will see Intel 6-cores in the $300 range. Maybe with Haswell?
 
well TDP is listed @ 77W on the 3.5ghz part. Not too bad, I'm assuming more than anything this is going to be pushing into the mobile market. a 45W quad that is clocked @ 2.5ghz base and 3.8ghz turbo is pretty tempting.

TDP is what I saw too. I've still got to try replacing it with another fan but at the moment I my 2500k becomes audiable when ramped up for games (especially Civ5) and I'd love something fast that I can push all the way without the CPU fan having to ramp up too much or the temps going over 59.
 
Here's some leaked IB info Intel NDA Desktop Platform Roadmap WW03 2012

Here's a few interesting picks, performance comparison:

-

For more slides follow the link.

So clock for clock and cache for cache about 10% average speed up, maybe a bit more, but when we talk about internal graphics the new HD 4000 is more then double. I think that pushes it into the same category as Llano, a CPU/GPU combo that can actually play a good number of games casually.
 
The stock performance-per-clock (CPU core) should not be huge versus Sandy Bridge. I was expecting a bigger stock clock speed increase, but if this is correct we will not see that.

Unless the overclock headroom is immensely improved, I see no reason for people to wait for Ivy, or for people to upgrade Sandy to Ivy.
 
So the real improvement is the gpu built into it? The cpu upgrade does not seem substantial otherwise. I mean, its only Intel's "tick", why expect an enormous change?
 
Ivy features Trigate technology. That alone will net a healthy gain.
Trigate means better transitors. Better transistors will improve the gate delays achievable at a given power, intel could chose to spend that advantage by reducing power consumption, increasnig clock speed or reducing pipeline length.

Given how far behind AMD are at the moment and intel's lack of desire to cannibalise the market for their high end parts tit makes sense for them to put most of the improvement into reducing power consumption rather than increasing performance.
 
Last edited:
So it appears this super chip is a Tick not a tock. If that is so, accordint to that NDA link, then what a f'ing disappointment for a TICK.
 
Upgrading SB -> IB is pointless, I think we can all agree on that. I'm going IB cos I need an upgrade and I can wait (I hope). Was close to purchasing SB this month after a mobo sale but the fact that Intel themselves are very excited about IvyB (Intel reps have been mostly discussing IB this year) and seeing now all these cpu models you can just conclude that it's going to be a hit.
I will also run my next rig 3-4 years so getting that newer platform will only help.
 
Back
Top