• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

17" or 20" lcd...help me decide

spyork

n00b
Joined
Mar 21, 2004
Messages
5
OK guys I'm ready to upgrade from my 17" crt to a 17" or 20" lcd screen. I've been reading reviews about lcd displays until my head hurts...information overload :)

In the 17" arena it looks like the following monitors have good reviews:
NEC 1760NX
Viewsonic VP171b
Samsung 172x
(Are there others?)

In the 20" arena it looks as if the Dell 2001FP is the way to go, that is if you are lucky to get a good one the first time around. My only worry with the 20" is the resolution. Will 1600x1200 make text and fonts too small in games, office, and Internet Explorer. I used a Samsung 213T (21" lcd) the other day and the font size was pretty good, but it is 1" bigger than the Dell. Also will I have problems pushing 1600x1200 with the following setup.

AMD 2400+
Abit NF7-S v2.0
1GB Crucial PC2100 Memory
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB

So, what do you guys think I should do. I want a display that will be easy on the eyes as I am on the computer alot every day as I am a software developer. Your opinions and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks...
 
1600x1200 on the 2001fp is very nice.
I love my LCD and it was worth every penny of the $750.

I was also torn between 17" LCD or this badboy. My reasoning was: I know myself well enough to realize that I'm eventually going to purchase the biggest LCD I can afford. So why not just splurge now and enjoy it the whole time?

ah. nice little RCA jacks on the front for xbox too. :)
 
I think I may go ahead and give the Dell 2001fp a try. Hey if I don't like it I can always send it back for a refund. Dell is having another 20% off sale in the small business section. You can get the 2001fp for $799 for the next 2 or 3 days.

I do have another question though regarding games. I'm interested in purchasing Doom 3 when it comes out but was wondering if I will be able to play this game in 1600x1200, especially since it is supposed to be an intensive game. Also how small would the in game text be on games such as Neverwinter Nights. I play alot of NWN and don't want to strain my eyes reading the text. What are your thoughts...
 
I am also debating the same problem. Should I get the Samsung 172x for about $550 or the Dell 2001fp for $750-$800? The Samsung looks really nice size wise, especially since I am going to college, and the 1280x1024 rez will enable me to run any game without lag problems and probably even new games. I am currently on a generic 19" crt that cost me $170 4 years ago, so I think I definitely need a new monitor to complement the rest of my system. The samsung is really sleek too, supporting the 12ms response time as well. Anyone have their opinions?

Another note: I play CS competively, so I spend most of my gaming time on CS, and then I play RPGs in my spare time for the most part. Which would be better for cs?
 
Originally posted by Matrix-Style


Another note: I play CS competively, so I spend most of my gaming time on CS, and then I play RPGs in my spare time for the most part. Which would be better for cs?

I play TFC, which I'm pretty sure has the same engine as CS. The problem with the HL engine is it CAN'T do 1280x1024. So what you have to choose from are some resolutions similar to this, usually the best option is to match the horizontal pixels. Say 1280x960. This creates a scaling effect with the monitor and increases ghosting.

The strange thing is, after using an LCD for I don't know maybe a year; I don't even notice the scaling. I do recall very well though that when I first got the monitor I was like "What is this!" I can't play like this.

But now I play all the time at the scaled res and I don't even notice it. Maybe I just got used to it but it is a non-issue when I play, it doesn't even pop into my head. Only when I see a thread such as this do I recall my initial dissatisfaction win the scaling.

Now if I had this game side by side with a CRT that could do 1280x960 w/o scaling then I would probably notice the difference. But I don't have the opportunity so what I see on my LCD every time I fire up the game is what to me looks completely normal.

Sorry I didn't think I'd end up typing that much once I started.
 
Actually, CS can now run at the resolution of 1280*1024, I think it is because of 1.6 and Steam, so it is tweaked from the half life engine, so that is not an issue necessarily.
 
Ahh, I thought I remembered that. I uninstalled steam since it makes you pay after a month.
 
Might not be a CS thing then.

tfc.jpg
 
Back
Top