17" LCD Monitor for $189

n0hc

Weaksauce
I am trying to find a good deal on a 17" LCD Monitor. Here is one for $189:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10376312&dcaid=1688

with a $100 MIR. There was one yesterday that was only $125 but when I went to but it last night they were sold out. I am just trying to see if anybody knows of any awesome deals on these. It doesnt have to be something fancy just something that works. Don't need to play games or anything on it. Let me know!! Thanks!!!

-haryy

buy.com sucks, always check resellerratings! even if something seems cheap, if you have to spend 2 hours on the phone with customer service to get it shipped to you, then it isn't really worth it in the end.

vbrtrmn said:
buy.com sucks, always check resellerratings! even if something seems cheap, if you have to spend 2 hours on the phone with customer service to get it shipped to you, then it isn't really worth it in the end.
true, but some of their deals are too enticing to pass up, especially when there's no rebates involved. I'd take that samsung 710n they're offering for $285 AC any day, that monitor is killer :cool:

Intertesting reseller rating. I just bought speakers from them and they delivered with 0 issues. The only complaint would be that the shipping took a few days longer than I expected.

zoobaby said:
Intertesting reseller rating. I just bought speakers from them and they delivered with 0 issues. The only complaint would be that the shipping took a few days longer than I expected.
something that ought to be mentioned: all the big e-tailers have horrible resselleratings for some reason. Check them out, BestBuy.com, compusa.com, outpost etc etc etc

SJetski71 said:
something that ought to be mentioned: all the big e-tailers have horrible resselleratings for some reason. Check them out, BestBuy.com, compusa.com, outpost etc etc etc
Usually only the people who have had a poor experience take the time and effort to complain about it. If someone has a good experience then he has little motivation to report that to a website.

jpmkm said:
Usually only the people who have had a poor experience take the time and effort to complain about it. If someone has a good experience then he has little motivation to report that to a website.
But then why does newegg have thousands of good ratings?

vbrtrmn said:
But then why does newegg have thousands of good ratings?
newegg rewarded people for giving good ratings. Basically, you would leave newegg a good review, tell them about it, and they would send you free stuff.

How does this come out to be $189? I'm interested in it as a second monitor.

b0b

Yeah I do not like buy.com. They are real low on the better business bureau list. Also they have burned me......

The link for the rebate points back to the LCD page - not the rebate...

xxiv

...I have bought literally a hundred times from them and have never had any problems at all. Of course, I don't normally run and fill out a resellerrating report every time I purchase something from them.....I would personally tell my own family to order from them as well, not to mention all of my friends that already do.

GJSNeptune said:
Holy long signature, Batman.
lol

I've ordered through buy.com many a time...no problem. Seems like if you're willing to be reasonable about things they will too. Try reading some of the reviews on resellerratings. A few are people just expecting wayyy to much from an e-tailer.

Furystrike said:
lol

I've ordered through buy.com many a time...no problem. Seems like if you're willing to be reasonable about things they will too. Try reading some of the reviews on resellerratings. A few are people just expecting wayyy to much from an e-tailer.
Many reviews on resellerratings.com are rediculous, but the praises for buy.com seem to come from home users, techies rip buy.com a new one over multiple and massive screw ups.
I work for a major Federal Agency and ordered an HP Laserjet 2300D for our office. This item was listed as "in stock" on their web page when I ordered. After waiting two weeks and hearing nothing I called their customer support. Someone from India answered and read from a script. "item is backordered, we have no idea when it will ship". After another two weeks of waiting I called and insisted on talking to someone with authority. I had found the IDENTICAL printer on their webpage under a different sku. The only problem....it was $200 more. These printers have the EXACT same HP part number listed on buy.com's webpage(s). Miraculously the printer for $200 more was "in stock", but the one for $200 less was now "on backorder". I asked them to ship me one that was in stock since it was exactly the same printer. Their reply was "NO, this printer is $200 more!...but if you cancel your order and re-order under the different sku we'll gladly ship you one...as they are "IN STOCK". I ask you...is this not a bait and switch tactic? I have since filed a complaint with the BBB. Buy.com actually answered my complaint, with the same line they used on the phone, "cancel your existing order and re-order the printer for $200 more". I make several large IT purchases for the agency I work for and trust me I will NEVER do business with this company again and I will do everything in my power to have Buy.com taken off of any approved Government sellers list. Everyone I've talked to, with the exception of the receptionist at their non-tollfree number, has been extremely rude and unhelpful. The California States Attorneys office should seriously look into this places business practices. I also can't believe the BBB allows their logo to be displayed on Buy.com's webpage. I urge anyone out there, do NOT use this company. It's now December 2nd and we still haven't received our printer that's "on backorder". I have a feeling it will be on backorder FOREVER!!
I have made a number of purchases from Buy.Com since the late 1990s. The pattern is always the same-- lure people in with lowest prices on a loss leader, encourage them to buy the higher margin accessories to offset the big handling charges, ship the accessories, and place the loss leader on perpetual "backorder". Eventually you get frustrated and cancel the remaining order and they get to keep their profits up.

I haven't shopped with them for several years, but was suckered in again. The item has been on "backorder" for three weeks-- strange, but it seems to be available from other sites for a few bucks more. I'd certainly be willing to give buy.com the benefit of the doubt if it weren't so transparently the pattern of my past experience and for most of the reviews in here.

zac man, you're looking at the wrong price...the "you save" price is not the cost of the item..."our price" is the cost of them item

Our Price: $299.99
List Price: $479.00
You Save: $179.01

I've bought HUNDREDS of items from buy.com over the last SEVERAL years, I consider it to be one of the best places to order things.

I normally put stock into resellerratings, but this one is baffling.

I also buy a lot of things from newegg.

I trust both of those retailers completely.

SJetski71 said:
true, but some of their deals are too enticing to pass up, especially when there's no rebates involved. I'd take that samsung 710n they're offering for $285 AC any day, that monitor is killer :cool:

Samsung does rock. IIRC, Samsung LCD's are what goes in the DELL's as well (at least in some of their laptops), DELL has gotten lots of praise for their modern LCD's. We have 18 of the 1703's here at work and they're just awesome (very vibrant color). It's probably the same LCD as the 710n (have to open one to see) with a DELL shell.

I still can't believe I missed out on that black friday (a few hours too late) Samsung 910n (19in) deal for $349 AR. :(

After waiting two weeks and hearing nothing I called their customer support. Someone from India answered and read from a script. "item is backordered, we have no idea when it will ship".

Yep, this makes perfect sense. If the item is in stock, go for it. I too have been purchasing for years and haven't had a problem with in stock items. However, I would highly recommend going elsewhere for low stock, out of stock or pre-order items.

My pre-order Collector's Edition WoW is still "on order," and I too called their customer service... got the same thing as the above experience (almost word-for-word). However, I got a "one-day" sale on a beautiful Acer 17"14ms LCD and received it in less than a week with free shipping.

Just have to be careful with Buy.com, because if you have to contact their customer service, it may very well be an outsourced representative helping you.

- James

I ordered a hard drive from them (which is now in my current system). Anyway the deal was awesome, and I was under the impression that it was a RETAIL drive and when it arrived it was an OEM with nothing but the hard drive. I didn't make a big deal about this because the price was good, and I didn't need anything from the retail version, but it was disappointing. Will I buy from there again? Yes, but I will be a bit more cautious.

Careful cause you could lose account too cause you didnt say delete this post you said to delete you!!!

Ill wait for the rumored price drops to move to an LCD but that is a great price for an lcd.

Sorry to bring back an older topic, but currently the LL172AB monitor is currently 279.99. It mentions on the site that there are no mail in rebates for this item, I guess they are referring to buy.com specific rebates, because the sharp rebate here seems to be fine. So its only 179.99 after rebate. 450:1 contrast 300cd/m^2 and 16ms isn't too shabby for 180. I'm gonna pick up 2, anyone else do this or plan to?

I've done a little more investigation on this issue and found out that buy.com does not qualify for the rebate as seen here

When I can get an 19" LCD that will hit 1600x1200 I will switch, not a moment sonner. (at a resonable price)

I know this is an old dead deal, but since this thread turned into a reseller ratings topic as well, figured that I would give a little insight into the huge negative ratings that the major retailers have gotten thru them. I know that the cc one was because of a web site error regarding rebates with a hard drive and that bby is because of a pricing error with a video card and that fatwallet people creamed them on reseller ratings over it. And I think all of us know how many people on fatwallet can take advantage of a bad mistake by a website, so they really put a hurting on their reseller ratings as well.

Back