16x+16x As opposed to 8x+8x

Tasoli

n00b
How do I know when a board is going to allow me to utilize both my 16x PCI-E card fully if I SLI them together? It's quite obvious to me that this board won't let me because it clearly states under the specifications "2 x PCI Express x16 slot (SLI mode: x8+x8, single PCI-E is x8 mode)". But what about boards like this that are quite ambiguous and only say "PCI Express x16 2".

Thanks for any and all replies and assistance :)

That is the 975x chipset and that only allows 8x 8x Crossfire.

The only ATI chipset out there now that allows 16x 16x Crossfire is the ATI 3200 Xpress chipset.

For Nvidia, the chipsets that allow 16x 16x SLI would be the nForce 4 x16 Edition, the 590, 680i and depends how you go with the 680a.

How do I know this? Its just research on there site you have to do.

Well, that second board you listed has a 975X chipset, which means that you can't use SLI on it. You'd basically want something like this or this. They one allows you to utilize both ports at 16x. I wouldn't really recommend the first one, but the second one's okay.

If you plan on using SLI 8800 cards, I think you NEED the X16 slots in SLI. Most of the 975X boards dont have that, I htink some of them are even X4

Just 1 8800 card only needs 1 x16 slot, which many boards have.

pcfan10110 said:
Does this have 16x16x?

From what has been said on this thread, yes.

-

So from what you are all telling me I'm looking for something more along the lines of this board. Correct?

Nevermind... that board pretty much has nothing on it.

DFI Makes a Board also........ DFI LanParty UT 590SLI M2/RG. This is the board I use and I love it. Has all the options a person would ever need.

There are two different NF4 chipsets for SLI. The NF4 SLI is x8/x8 and the C19 or whatever they call the other one is x16/x16.

For example, the Asus A8N-SLI is x8/x8 but the A8N32-SLI is x16/x16. DFI didn't make a x16/x16 board AFAIK.

What about the DFI expert? NF4 x16. All nvidia did was basically add a reduced north bridge to add 16 pci-e lanes.

But onec again, that was an AMD board.

kirbyrj said:
There are two different NF4 chipsets for SLI. The NF4 SLI is x8/x8 and the C19 or whatever they call the other one is x16/x16.

For example, the Asus A8N-SLI is x8/x8 but the A8N32-SLI is x16/x16. DFI didn't make a x16/x16 board AFAIK.

too true, i bought one of these boards (a8n-sli) and have regretted it ever since :mad:

menlatin said:
What about the DFI expert? NF4 x16. All nvidia did was basically add a reduced north bridge to add 16 pci-e lanes.

But onec again, that was an AMD board.

I'm 98% sure the Expert was a x8/x8 board also.

If you plan on using SLI 8800 cards, I think you NEED the X16 slots in SLI. Most of the 975X boards dont have that, I htink some of them are even X4
Is that right? How do you explain the results here then?

too true, i bought one of these boards (a8n-sli) and have regretted it ever since :mad:

Not me! I bought an Asus A8N-SLI and tried an Asus A8N32-SLI as an Upgrade. I ended up back with an A8N-SLI. Never looked back and it has been the absolute best non-Intel chipset mobo I've ever owned. The A8N32-SLI was quirky and had more problems than just SCP with my X-Fi and Audigy2 ZS BTW. It caused background noises with my TB Santa Cruz I was using to record with as well.

Even After upgrading to Conroe I couldn't part with it I like it so much. When I finish some other projects I'll more than likely upgrade the 3500+ to Dual Core.

Back